Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    3,177

    Default shower sliding doors

    This new shower has two sliding doors, except the one furthest from the shower head doesn't move. I can't remember encountering this before. Is there some reason for this, or a reason why it's bad? Seems like you should be able to enter the shower away from the spray in case it's too hot, etc.

    shower.jpg

    Similar Threads:
    F.I.R.E. Services
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    What did the top track and support look like? Did it have a roller on the top or was it fixed?

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    3,177

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    What did the top track and support look like? Did it have a roller on the top or was it fixed?
    Scott - Thanks. I don't know the answer to your questions. Here's a photo of the other end of the door handle, with a suspicious-looking screw.

    shower screw.jpg

    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Scott - Thanks. I don't know the answer to your questions. Here's a photo of the other end of the door handle, with a suspicious-looking screw.

    shower screw.jpg

    Looking at the picture it looks like the door has been fixed in place by that screw. If it had rollers at the top for it to move on then I can see no reason for both doors to not slide back and forth.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    Maybe a door was fixed so they couldn't get configured as to let the water spray leak between the doors. I'm guessing the shower head is located on the right. The water would go right to the floor since it's a full shower and possibly get slick.



    Jeff


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    Many are fixed in place from the time of installation.

    There is no requirement that both doors slide, even though both doors may be able to slide, it is personal choice of the builder, designer, occupant, etc., not the manufacturer.

    Many times the double slider is selected as the opening is slightly off from a perfect standard opening size, install the double slider doors, which just happen to be 'self-adjusting' to the width of the opening, anchor the intended-to-be-fixed door in place and you still have a the one door which slides for entry.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Rod Corwin's Avatar
    Rod Corwin Guest

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Langhorn View Post
    Maybe a door was fixed so they couldn't get configured as to let the water spray leak between the doors. I'm guessing the shower head is located on the right. The water would go right to the floor since it's a full shower and possibly get slick.



    Jeff
    I agree. The people in my house can't seem to get the configuration right and I am constantly telling them. Always walking in to a wet floor.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    I think people are smart enough to configure doors correctly. The pinned door should be freed. There is a related large concern. There is commonly a plastic alignment clip at the bottom extrusion. This clip must be movable, to safely tilt doors for cleaning, or to remove them for a fairly-frequent good reason. The bottom extrusion is a poor seal in most cases, and may get gooped with silicone. Bad idea. The extrusion should be sold always with a greased resilient seal. I have once seen discreetly the horrible consequence of jimmying doors for removal despite the fixed-in-place alignment clip. Thousands of glass shards where a tempered-glass door crashed on tile, while simply sliding the door open. Blood. Screams.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Norman View Post
    I think people are smart enough to configure doors correctly. The pinned door should be freed.
    I disagree on both statements ... one would *hope* that people are smart enough to slide the right door to the right place so that the shower does not spray out the gap because the overlap is backwards ... but not all are, or not all notice the difference.

    There is no need to un-pin the fixed in place door is that was the intended installation for the door.

    The rest of what you state as being applicable to all (there was no exception stated that it only applied to doors made as you described) because there are *many* styles of bottom tracks, and top tracks, and some of the bottom tracks not only do not have a plastic clip in the bottom but there is no need for a bottom alignment clip as they have their own individual tracks.

    I repeat - there is no reason to un-pin that fixed in place door if it was intended to be installed that way, and we simply do not have sufficient information to determine that the door was not intended to be installed that way. The only way to know would to have been there at the time of construction.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    This new shower has two sliding doors, except the one furthest from the shower head doesn't move. I can't remember encountering this before. Is there some reason for this, or a reason why it's bad? Seems like you should be able to enter the shower away from the spray in case it's too hot, etc.

    shower.jpg
    I prefer to slide the near door open, reach in and turn the faucet without getting sprayed.
    We've all had to dodge spray to turn a shower valve off when the door closest to the head won't slide. That's annoying.

    If people were smart enough to keep water in the shower, we wouldn't have to report soggy drywall and rotten floors.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: shower sliding doors

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I prefer to slide the near door open, reach in and turn the faucet without getting sprayed.
    So do I.

    However, what we do not know, unless I missed it, is the layout of the bathroom in relation the shower, shower doors, shower control, and the shower door's sliding panels - is there sufficient space in front of the shower along the entire front access side of the shower - or is there a restriction at one end which precludes entry to/exit from the shower?

    Frequently there is a toilet or vanity cabinet at or near one end which restricts access to the shower at that area, if this is the case then there is no reason for that end's siding door to side.

    If there is no restriction blocking access to that area of the shower, is there some other apparent reason for having that door fixed in place? If not, there may have been some other reason for that door to be fixed. we just do not have sufficient information to determine if that fixed door 'should be un-fixed and made such that it is allowed to move' ... making such a call with what we know would, in my opinion, be a 'bad call' and an error in reporting.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •