Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Handrail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Handrail

    Hey any of you Gents know when the code for guardrails changed to allow max 4" spacing?

    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld
    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Handrail

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Hey any of you Gents know when the code for guardrails changed to allow max 4" spacing?
    Without looking it up I am not certain, but I believe it was in the late 1980s.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Handrail

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    Without looking it up I am not certain, but I believe it was in the late 1980s.
    thanks but I was looking for specifics

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Re: Handrail

    Marc,

    I specifically find the 4" rule in the 1997 UBC (509.3). I seem to recall it first appeared in the 1991 UBC. Unfortunately, I do not have my earlier codes available at present. Of course, you need to remember that CA did not enforce the 1991 UBC until 1994.

    Therefore...

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Handrail

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Marc,

    I specifically find the 4" rule in the 1997 UBC (509.3). I seem to recall it first appeared in the 1991 UBC. Unfortunately, I do not have my earlier codes available at present. Of course, you need to remember that CA did not enforce the 1991 UBC until 1994.

    Therefore...
    Excellent Gunnar, much appreciated brother!

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Handrail

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Hey any of you Gents know when the code for guardrails changed to allow max 4" spacing?
    I have CABO requiring 4" in 1995 and IRC in 2000.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Handrail

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    thanks but I was looking for specifics
    I know you are not in a state that used the BOCA code, by 87 BOCA says 6" and 90 BOCA says 4". 86 CABO says 6" and 92 CABO says 4".

    If you want specifics you should do some research.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Handrail

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    If you want specifics you should do some research.
    Really? What are you my mom?
    Seems like everyone else was pretty cool about answering the question and nobody else had any problems with helping out. And, they did it without stupid ass comments like yours. Next time don't reply if you can help yourself.

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Handrail

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Really? What are you my mom?
    Seems like everyone else was pretty cool about answering the question and nobody else had any problems with helping out. And, they did it without stupid ass comments like yours..
    Bill Engvall - Stupid People (Here's Your Sign) - YouTube

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Handrail

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    haven't heard him before. Super funny guy. Thanks, I needed that...

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •