Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 66 to 104 of 104
  1. #66
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    AD

    Not that I am swallowing it either but 500 inspections in 2 per day times 5 days = 10x50weeks=500.

    No I am not buying it. full home inspections every week for at the least 50 weeks per year for 7 years...................Seriously.....Just cannot buy or accept it. Maybe more on the line of accept. There is either a shortage of inspectors compared to our area (since Texas is doing better than the rest of the country). I do know a few folks doing relatively well but are spending a couple grand a month to do so and are short changing inspections or giving everything away with the home inspection.

    You know what. Forget about all that. Even to come on here and boast of such numbers in a time when most folks are wishing the phone to ring and doing what ever to make it ring is ludicrous.

    Just thanksgiving, New Year, and a few others take a serious amount of time out of the work schedule. Lets not mention the slower winters weeks and months. Take away the natural vacations, your vacations, slow times and the like then it brings your numbers up to what 12, 14, 16 a week. Just stop it OK.
    TM: Kevin Row and others who talk this trash incessantly on this forum should have their asses shot out of a cannon southwardly across the Rio Grande.

    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    boom!

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  3. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    AD

    Not that I am swallowing it either but 500 inspections in 2 per day times 5 days = 10x50weeks=500.

    No I am not buying it. full home inspections every week for at the least 50 weeks per year for 7 years...................Seriously.....Just cannot buy or accept it. Maybe more on the line of accept. There is either a shortage of inspectors compared to our area (since Texas is doing better than the rest of the country). I do know a few folks doing relatively well but are spending a couple grand a month to do so and are short changing inspections or giving everything away with the home inspection.

    You know what. Forget about all that. Even to come on here and boast of such numbers in a time when most folks are wishing the phone to ring and doing what ever to make it ring is ludicrous.

    Just thanksgiving, New Year, and a few others take a serious amount of time out of the work schedule. Lets not mention the slower winters weeks and months. Take away the natural vacations, your vacations, slow times and the like then it brings your numbers up to what 12, 14, 16 a week. Just stop it OK.
    Guys why would I lie?
    Up until the latter part of last year 90% of my inspections were 1 yr warranty, up until then I had a market of 10-1200 customers [ within a 40 mile area] a month to direct market to.
    With an average of 3% response from my marketing to those new home owners alone, is almost 10 per week. Due to referrals, over the past 3-4 years I would refer 10 -15 per month to other inspectors due to not being able to do them.

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    This isn't boasting, it's stating facts. The first 4 years of my home inspection career I averaged over 700 inspections per year. I was doing up to 3 a day 6 days a week. I didn't take vacations and only took Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day off. I was also working 14 hours a day in the summer and 9 to 12 hour days in the winter (depending on the available sunlight). The market was great and I was handed inspections by the company I was employed with.

    Now the last 4 years the market's been in turmoil. Yes, I'm doing less inspections than I was. Last year was my worst, with 342 inspections. I have no idea what other inspectors outside of my company or the my local ASHI chapter are doing, but my current numbers seem to be just a little higher than others in my ASHI chapter and I'm in the top 20% of my company. Remember, I was given those agents and 700+ inspections per year by my previous employer. I turned those inspection into relationships with agents and clients who use me today.

    Keep in mind I'm not like most of the other home inspectors out there. I didn't have to work my azz off to market myself to do the numbers I've done. It was literally handed to me. This isn't boasting at all. I'm very thankful for how things worked out.

    Also keep in mind that I'm not a local, independent inspector. I'm part of a national company, with national and local marketing, lot's of insurance and other perks to assist clients in selecting me to do their inspections.

    Last edited by Ken Rowe; 02-23-2010 at 05:41 PM.
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  5. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,246

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Last year was my worst, with 342 inspections. I have no idea what other inspectors outside of my company or the my local ASHI chapter are doing,
    Here is an example to put your numbers in perspective

    My last 4-5 years in business I was able to work myself down to 100-150 inspections per year with my last 2 years in business working myself down to 75-100 inspection, and my last year down to about 50 inspection ... all the time spending MORE TIME on EACH inspection and report, and getting paid more for each inspection ... MUCH MORE for each inspection ... to the point that I made more money doing fewer inspections, working less time overall. Instead of working 6 days a week I was working 3-4 days a week, occasionally 5 days a week if needed to finish my inspection, or even into the next week to finish. Not sure if you grasped what I just said or not.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Here is an example to put your numbers in perspective

    My last 4-5 years in business I was able to work myself down to 100-150 inspections per year with my last 2 years in business working myself down to 75-100 inspection, and my last year down to about 50 inspection ... all the time spending MORE TIME on EACH inspection and report, and getting paid more for each inspection ... MUCH MORE for each inspection ... to the point that I made more money doing fewer inspections, working less time overall. Instead of working 6 days a week I was working 3-4 days a week, occasionally 5 days a week if needed to finish my inspection, or even into the next week to finish. Not sure if you grasped what I just said or not.
    I understand what you're saying. What I don't understand is how you can take several days between the start of the inspection and supplying a report to the buyer. Isn't there a deadline for inspection contingencies?

    As I said previously, the buyers up here generally sign a 3 day inspection contingency. Therefore they have to choose and inspector, schedule the inspection with the inspector, the agents and seller, perform the inspection, receive and review the report and give give final approval or renegotiate, all within that 3 day period. And to meet my clients obligations I supply the report on site.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  7. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Contingency periods in Pennsylvania vary. They are typically 7, 10, or 15 days. But it doesn't stop some buyers from wasting time and calling to set up an inspection a day or two away from the end of their contingency.

    If we had 3 day contingencies here in PA, I may have no choice but to provide on-site reports. Luckily that's not the case.

    Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 02-23-2010 at 08:57 PM.

  8. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Contingency periods in Pennsylvania vary. They are typically 7, 10, or 15 days. But it doesn't stop some buyers from wasting time and calling to set up an inspection a day or two away from the end of their contingency.

    If we had 3 day contingencies hers in PA, I may have no choice but to provide on-site reports. Luckily that's not the case.
    I had a new agent a while back who said they had written in a 10 day contingency. I asked if he was new to MN. He stated he recently moved from California where a 10 day continency was normal. I'd love to see a 7, 10 or even 5 day contingency.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  9. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Ken, how do the buyers in MN handle it if there is a delay in results? For example, some water quality or mold tests down here in PA depending upon the testing company have a 1 week turnaround time. Do all companies in Minnesota tailor their turnaround times to meet the contingencies? 3 days isn't much time at all.

    One thing that drives me up a wall is buyers who wants to attend the inspection (which I don't mind) and their realtor wants to be there (don't care if they are there or not) and they have family members who want to be there too (really don't care about that). The inspection date and time has to appease multiple schedules. Who the hell is buying the house here????? Even more aggravating is the buyer who wants to attend the inspection but can only make themself available during one three-hour block of time in an entire 24-7 week. You're not buying a friggin' bike!!! You're buying a house. How about having another block of time available besides Sunday afternoon at 4pm.


  10. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Ken, how do the buyers in MN handle it if there is a delay in results? For example, some water quality or mold tests down here in PA depending upon the testing company have a 1 week turnaround time. Do all companies in Minnesota tailor their turnaround times to meet the contingencies? 3 days isn't much time at all. If they know of the issues prior to the inspection they'll try to schedule everything at the same time. If there are issues found during the inspection that need further review, they'll try to get them done immediately. Otherwise they need to request an extension to the inspection period. Which, according to reactions from agents, seems to be on par with a mouse giving birth to an elephant. The 3 day contingencies also puts a damper on doing 48 hour radon tests.

    One thing that drives me up a wall is buyers who wants to attend the inspection (which I don't mind) and their realtor wants to be there (don't care if they are there or not) and they have family members who want to be there too (really don't care about that). The inspection date and time has to appease multiple schedules. Who the hell is buying the house here????? Even more aggravating is the buyer who wants to attend the inspection but can only make themself available during one three-hour block of time in an entire 24-7 week. You're not buying a friggin' bike!!! You're buying a house. How about having another block of time available besides Sunday afternoon at 4pm.
    That's another reason I went from 700+ inspections to 300+ per year. I set my schedule at 10am and 2 or 3pm, Monday through Friday and 10 and 2 on Saturdays and don't deviate from it much. I won't do evening inspections anymore. If they want to be there they need to accomadate my schedule.

    On another note; I once had 14 people attend an inspection on a 900 square foot house. 8 of them were under 10 years old. The entire inspection had to be translated by an 8 year old girl.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  11. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    I love it when three people feel the need to cram themselves into a 5x8'powder room with me so they can see what I'm doing. Talk abut jamming 10 lbs of sh#t into a 5 lb bag.


  12. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I love it when three people feel the need to cram themselves into a 5x8'powder room with me so they can see what I'm doing. Talk abut jamming 10 lbs of sh#t into a 5 lb bag.
    When that happens I'll typically start asking them to open and close the window for me. Could you please turn on the shower, sink and then flush the toilet? Push on the toilet bowl for me would you. By this point they typically get the hint.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  13. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    kw

    i believe that if you have to post as many times as you do to defend yourself--you should get the idea, that you are barking at the moon. and being defensive, but sometimes you are offensive, like you said," if you don't hand over your report at inspection you are not a good inspector". bite me hard--who made you the supreme judge???

    i am semi retired and only do one inspection a day, but last year doing that in the tight economy made 80k and only did 173 inspection, an average of $462 a job. no simple warranty inspections or any other quickies.
    i deliver my report same day and the clients love my report and so do the agents. my reports are detailed and full of helpful tips to help my clients and a lot are first time buyers.that neede more then a simple report. i love my job and a happy client is my motto.

    want to compare reports an see who does a better job. or better yet let our peers on this forum decide. i'll give you 3 to 1 odds.

    what yee say

    charlie


  14. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    kw

    like you said," if you don't hand over your report at inspection you are not a good inspector". bite me hard--who made you the supreme judge???


    want to compare reports an see who does a better job. or better yet let our peers on this forum decide. i'll give you 3 to 1 odds.

    what yee say

    charlie
    First, you're mis-quoting me. What I've been saying is if you can't provide a report on site because you have to check code books or check on the internet because you don't know what you're looking at, you don't know what you're doing.

    Secondly, Sure...On tomorrows inspection. First to post wins. Or if you'd rather use an existing report I have one here that has been read by many members of this site already http://minnesotahomeinspectors.com/r...mplereport.PDF Go ahead and post yours. If you're not comfortable going against my "sample report" post a date and I'll post an inspection from that date.

    Last edited by Ken Rowe; 02-23-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  15. #80
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Guys why would I lie?
    DH: I don't know, but you surely have e-l-a-s-t-i-c-i-z-e-d the truth in this instance.


  16. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Looks nice Ken. But I just can't see myself ever being comfortable with the drawn out and clunky appearance of some of these report programs. While it appears all the info is there, your report has pictures up front and then the actual breakdown of the specs of what makes up that particular system later in the report. Just a little choppy to me.

    I'm not a fan of advising to monitor a situation either. Particularly the horizontal crack on that concrete block foundation wall. The crack is very distinct and it appears that the mortar joint had been repaired once but cracked again. And I really don't understand what "cracks are comparable to other homes of this age and style" means. The cracks are not a symptom of age. The cracks are a symptom of a condition that is causing the cracks. Same thing with monitoring the corrosion on the interior plumbing drain line. There's nothing to monitor. It needs to be repaired/replaced.

    The verbiage is a little too soft for me.

    Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 02-24-2010 at 07:14 AM.

  17. #82
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    What I've been saying is if you can't provide a report on site because you have to check code books or check on the internet because you don't know what you're looking at, you don't know what you're doing.
    KR: No, you still do not seem to understand. Granted, unlike you, most of us have not committed to memory each line of every code and referenced standard. That, of course, includes all versions of all codes and all referenced standards, as well as all manufacturer's installation instructions. So we mere mortals do have a need to pause for reflection an reference. Not so with Mr. Blow and Go.

    Go ahead and post yours. If you're not comfortable going against my "sample report" post a date and I'll post an inspection from that date.
    KR: Just more WUFF from the "big dog". Anyone can post anything they want on their website and call it a "sample inspection report". What you need to do is drag your swaggerin' ass down here to Dallas and let me show you how it is done by a real inspector.


  18. #83
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    This isn't boasting, it's stating facts. The first 4 years of my home inspection career I averaged over 700 inspections per year. I was doing up to 3 a day 6 days a week.
    KR: Now the truth comes out. Of course this is not mere boasting; it is outright lying!

    Now the last 4 years the market's been in turmoil. Yes, I'm doing less inspections than I was. Last year was my worst, with 342 inspections.
    KR: See the tears rollin' down from my eyes? They are not from sympathy, but laughter! What a piece of work you are!

    Last edited by A.D. Miller; 02-24-2010 at 08:44 AM.

  19. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    ken and all
    tried to upload my pdf report, but i guess to big, any of you guys know how i can do this, its 4.513kb

    not a computer wiz

    charlie


  20. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Looks nice Ken. But I just can't see myself ever being comfortable with the drawn out and clunky appearance of some of these report programs. While it appears all the info is there, your report has pictures up front and then the actual breakdown of the specs of what makes up that particular system later in the report. Just a little choppy to me. The company I work for requires the use of this reporting software, in this layout. So it's out of my hands.

    I'm not a fan of advising to monitor a situation either. Particularly the horizontal crack on that concrete block foundation wall. The crack is very distinct and it appears that the mortar joint had been repaired once but cracked again. And I really don't understand what "cracks are comparable to other homes of this age and style" means. The cracks are not a symptom of age. The cracks are a symptom of a condition that is causing the cracks. Same thing with monitoring the corrosion on the interior plumbing drain line. There's nothing to monitor. It needs to be repaired/replaced. So it should be monitored.

    The verbiage is a little too soft for me.
    Yes, there were cracks. But they were less than 1/8 inch and the wall showed no bowing or block off set. If the client follows my other advise with the grading, gutters and such the probability of failure will be reduced.

    The other "cracks comparable to other homes of this age and style" refer to common hairline cracks normally seem in block foundations.

    As far as the corrosion and temporary repairs, these were listed as monitoring because they were not leaking and haven't been for some time. If they were currently leaking, yes repair them immediately.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  21. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    KR: No, you still do not seem to understand. Granted, unlike you, most of us have not committed to memory each line of every code and referenced standard. That, of course, includes all versions of all codes and all referenced standards, as well as all manufacturer's installation instructions. So we mere mortals do have a need to pause for reflection an reference. Not so with Mr. Blow and Go.
    I've never claimed to have committed to memory each line of every code, manufacturer's installations instructions, etc. But have I memorized most of the basics of them. Enough to tell if what I'm looking at is right or wrong.


    KR: Just more WUFF from the "big dog". Anyone can post anything they want on their website and call it a "sample inspection report". What you need to do is drag your swaggerin' ass down here to Dallas and let me show you how it is done by a real inspector.
    I merely accepted the challenge. I didn't initiate it. And as I told the challenger I'd be happy to submit a report from any date of his choosing. It's interesting how you go through my posts and pick out one sentence to comment about but totally ignore the other content.

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    KR: Now the truth comes out. Of course this is not mere boasting; it is outright lying! It seems there's a pattern here. You commonly call people liars without one spec of evidence to back up your position. Do you call out items out on your inspection reports without any evidence to back up your findings? Please provide one piece of evidence that you have to back up your claim that I'm lying.



    KR: See the tears rollin' down from my eyes? They are not from sympathy, but laughter! What a piece of work you are!
    Again with the personal attacks. You can't seem to help yourself. No wonder you don't do many inspections.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  22. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    ken and all
    tried to upload my pdf report, but i guess to big, any of you guys know how i can do this, its 4.513kb

    not a computer wiz

    charlie
    Email it to me krowe@bpgwi.com and I'll upload it to my website and provide a link here. I'll keep it off my website though so only people on the forum will have access to it.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  23. #88
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Again with the personal attacks.
    KR: No personal attacks from here. I just believe in calling a spade a spade.

    No wonder you don't do many inspections.
    KR: I assure you I have done and will continue to do more real inspections than you can begin to muster up there in the Land of Moose and Squirrel.


  24. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    KR: No personal attacks from here. I just believe in calling a spade a spade.
    Personal attacks are one thing but I don't tolerate racial slurs.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  25. #90
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Personal attacks are one thing but I don't tolerate racial slurs.
    KR: Go ahead and play the racial card, if you must. It is usually the last refuge for the guilty.

    To call a spade a spade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Moron!


  26. #91
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    To call a spade a spade

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Jump to: navigation, search
    Look up call a spade a spade in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913) defines it as
    “ To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any "beating about the bush". ” Its ultimate source is Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica (178B) which has την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας (ten skafen skafen legontas). σκαφη (skafe) means "basin, trough", but it was mis-translated as ligo "shovel" by Erasmus in his Apophthegmatum opus. Lucian De Hist. Conscr. (41) has τα συκα συκα, την σκαφην δε σκαφην ονομασων (ta suka suka, ten skafen de skafen onomason) "calling a fig a fig, and a trough a trough".
    The phrase was introduced to English in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of Erasmus, Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus:
    Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade. It is evident that the word spade refers to the instrument used to move earth, a very common tool. The same word was used in England and in Holland, Erasmus' country of origin.
    The Oxford English Dictionary records a more forceful variant, "to call a spade a bloody shovel", attested since 1919. It is clear that the term shovel is used as a comparable but bigger tool than a spade.
    The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur against African-Americans, which was not recorded until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur.[1]


  27. #92
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    To call a spade a spade

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Jump to: navigation, search
    Look up call a spade a spade in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913) defines it as
    “ To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any "beating about the bush". ” Its ultimate source is Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica (178B) which has την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας (ten skafen skafen legontas). σκαφη (skafe) means "basin, trough", but it was mis-translated as ligo "shovel" by Erasmus in his Apophthegmatum opus. Lucian De Hist. Conscr. (41) has τα συκα συκα, την σκαφην δε σκαφην ονομασων (ta suka suka, ten skafen de skafen onomason) "calling a fig a fig, and a trough a trough".
    The phrase was introduced to English in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of Erasmus, Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus:
    Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade. It is evident that the word spade refers to the instrument used to move earth, a very common tool. The same word was used in England and in Holland, Erasmus' country of origin.
    The Oxford English Dictionary records a more forceful variant, "to call a spade a bloody shovel", attested since 1919. It is clear that the term shovel is used as a comparable but bigger tool than a spade.
    The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur against African-Americans, which was not recorded until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur.[1]
    TM: Quite correct. But, just try conveying anything at all that ever resembles the truth to this maniac from Frostbite Falls.
    Pseudologia fantastica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


  28. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    AD, just go ahead and call me the "n" word and cite Wikipedia to claim you were calling me a candy cigarette. From your past post I know exactly what you meant.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  29. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    .
    . But
    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    .
    just .
    .
    Slow Day ?
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  30. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    again anyone.

    how can i get my inspection report to upload --help!! it is pdf file 4513 kb. upload says up to 2 mb but it kicks me out--brian or anyone help

    i hate computers

    charlie


  31. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    again anyone.

    how can i get my inspection report to upload --help!! it is pdf file 4513 kb. upload says up to 2 mb but it kicks me out--brian or anyone help

    i hate computers

    charlie
    .
    Charlie,

    try putting it into separate sections.
    2,3,4 to see if it will upload as a smaller file.
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  32. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    BILLY

    didn't think you could alter a pdf file, if you can let me know how.

    charlie


  33. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    BILLY

    didn't think you could alter a pdf file, if you can let me know how.

    charlie
    Hey Charlie, just forget it. The ugly turn this thread had taken has put a damper on our fun competition.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  34. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    KEN

    i will get it figured out. still want to show you how great a done at home report is for the client. and not a race to get to the next inspection and how good an inspector is when not doing the report on site. get your report ready. real one please

    charlie


  35. #100
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    BILLY

    didn't think you could alter a pdf file, if you can let me know how.

    charlie
    .
    Charlie,

    There are many programs available to edit PDF. files.

    Some you Buy, Some you can Try Free ( usually for a 30 day trial ). Some Free.
    .
    Pdf edit free software by Debenu Pty. Ltd. and others
    .
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  36. #101
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,246

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I understand what you're saying. What I don't understand is how you can take several days between the start of the inspection and supplying a report to the buyer.

    I suspect that you did not understand what I said, but I figure that would be the case.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  37. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    KEN

    i will get it figured out. still want to show you how great a done at home report is for the client. and not a race to get to the next inspection and how good an inspector is when not doing the report on site. get your report ready. real one please

    charlie
    Alright. As I said earlier, email your report to me, krowe@bpgwi.com and I'll load it to my server and provide a link for anyone from the site to read it. If you don't want me to use my sample report (which is an actual report made on site) pick a date within the past year and I'll supply a report from that day.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  38. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    ken how about your next report, you will see mine is from this week. will email report to you if i don't hear from brian soon

    charlie


  39. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Flourish and Flare

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    ken how about your next report, you will see mine is from this week. will email report to you if i don't hear from brian soon

    charlie
    If you email your report to me I can post it immediately. You should seriously pick a previous date so I don't get accused of doing something on a report that I don't normally do.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •