Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Question marketing ideas?

    Hello All!

    This is my first post but I have been reading others for a while. In March, I will start my 3rd year. (hopefully) I am in north Alabama and business has been kind of slow. I have 3 realtors meeting set up, continue to stay in email contact with different tips for the month and stay in touch with my top agents but I am still hurting!

    Any tips, ideas, suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Harry

    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by huntsvillehomeinspector View Post
    Hello All!

    This is my first post but I have been reading others for a while. In March, I will start my 3rd year. (hopefully) I am in north Alabama and business has been kind of slow. I have 3 realtors meeting set up, continue to stay in email contact with different tips for the month and stay in touch with my top agents but I am still hurting!

    Any tips, ideas, suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Harry
    Harry(aka Gene ), it just takes time to build a home inspection business. At three years you should have a good understanding for what is needed. Keep in mind that your local economy is the key to how many home you inspect. I have a very good friend who is an inspector in your area(Madison), he is well established and even he has seen a slowdown in business.

    I'm not a fan of visiting real estate offices, but it might work for you. IMVHO, your best tool is a good website.

    Your next best tool is yourself! You should be handing a business card to everyone you have any dealings with. A good example.... Last week I needed to have my oil changed. I went to a local shop to have it done. When the person taking my order asked for my phone number I handed him my business card. He looked at it and said "my parents are looking for a new home, I will give them your name", I quickly handed him two more cards! He then stuck one of the cards under the counter top glass so everyone could see it! I could not have paid for that type of advertising result.

    Good luck and give it time.

    Last edited by Scott Patterson; 01-10-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Mad cow disease!
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  3. #3
    Ted Williams's Avatar
    Ted Williams Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    I agree with your take on marketing Robert. (Oops, and now you too Scott. Must've been writing at the same time). There is no better form of marketing than face-to-face.

    Always keep business cards on you, and always be friendly and sociable when running errands. Accept invitations to social events rather than staying home watching TV. Play golf, and go by yourself so you can get joined up with people. Talk to people, even strangers. You'll be amazed how often someone has a friend or relative that is currently house hunting.

    Even a short, friendly conversation with a stranger and the handing of a business card (if asked and always "accidentally" give two) can be enough to receive a referral as a 'trusted home inspector'. First impressions are powerful and people trust their gut feelings.

    Of course, if you're a smarmy bastard, this may not work for you.

    Last edited by Ted Williams; 01-10-2011 at 09:10 AM.

  4. #4
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Thanks for the responses so far. Onr thing I do is keep track of the nmber of closing in the counties I work. For example, in one county there were 324 closing in December. I am guessing that on average, 70% get an inspection. First off, do you think that 70% is close? If so, then there were 227 inspection opportunities in that county for that month. Say that there are 40 licensed inspectors in that county, then on average each one would get 5. What is the average % of closed homes?

    But I know that is not the case. Does anyone else subscribe to the 80/20 rule? I do. I think that 20% of the inspectors in this county did 80% of the inspections............ I want to be in the 20% group! So........how to get there. AND stay there.

    I believe that selling is my strong suit. It always has been. I feel less comfortable with the tech side of the business but I really enjoy 'doing' the work. But I am still not getting near the inspections I need to make this work.

    Harry
    gowenhomeinspections.com

    Last edited by huntsvillehomeinspector; 01-10-2011 at 09:25 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by huntsvillehomeinspector View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far. Onr thing I do is keep track of the nmber of closing in the counties I work. For example, in one county there were 324 closing in December. I am guessing that on average, 70% get an inspection. First off, do you think that 70% is close? If so, then there were 227 inspection opportunities in that county for that month. Say that there are 40 licensed inspectors in that county, then on average each one would get 5. What is the average % of closed homes?

    But I know that is not the case. Does anyone else subscribe to the 80/20 rule? I do. I think that 20% of the inspectors in this county did 80% of the inspections............ I want to be in the 20% group! So........how to get there. AND stay there.

    I believe that selling is my strong suit. It always has been. I feel less comfortable with the tech side of the business but I really enjoy 'doing' the work. But I am still not getting near the inspections I need to make this work.

    Harry
    gowenhomeinspections.com
    I think 70% was a good number about 3+ years ago and now it is more like 40%! I really think that with all of the REO and As Is homes that are being sold folks are not getting inspections like they use to get. Yes, those type of home sales are all the more reason to get an inspection but I'm just not seeing it happen.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  6. #6
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I think 70% was a good number about 3+ years ago and now it is more like 40%! I really think that with all of the REO and As Is homes that are being sold folks are not getting inspections like they use to get. Yes, those type of home sales are all the more reason to get an inspection but I'm just not seeing it happen.

    Then you have the fact in this state the Home Inspection Reports are getting passed down the line, especially in my state. I would think 40 to 50% max today would be the case unless you count a Realtor/home buyer that uses/steals the previous inspection. I am about positive that if the inspection report was available on the home I inspected yesterday I would not have done the inspection. I was told that there was just an inspection but no one could find the report Thanks for lost reports.

    Last edited by Ted Menelly; 01-10-2011 at 01:38 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Well Harry Gowen, "Gene"(?), or whatever your name is,

    I'd suggest you start by assuring you're on the active roster of licensed/registered authorized home inspectors with the state of Alabama.

    Seems you're not showing up.

    I'd also make a point of including that essential confirming registration number /license number with ALL of your marketing materials/contact information, including your web pages.

    No one is going to want to "hire" you or refer you if they can't verify you're "licensed", and therefore at a minimum have passed the NIHB, maintain the required insurances, and are held in good standing with the building commission (hold a license/registration to provide home inspections)!

    Standard Contracts and Documents

    Click on Home Inspector Roster brings you to this search page:

    Inspector Search

    I've tried all the major cities you list, your own website's contact listed city, all the northern counties, "gowen", etc. I've cross referenced every list I could with your phone numbers - no matches! You're just not showing up (today anyway!).

    Perhaps you need to check in with the commission staff, and find out why you're not showing up on the roster today!?! (late renewal application, not yet processed before the new year perhaps?).

    Here's a link to the technical staff directory phone numbers: Technical Staff


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Well Harry Gowen, "Gene"(?), or whatever your name is,

    I'd suggest you start by assuring you're on the active roster of licensed/registered authorized home inspectors with the state of Alabama.

    Seems you're not showing up.

    I'd also make a point of including that essential confirming registration number /license number with ALL of your marketing materials/contact information, including your web pages.

    No one is going to want to "hire" you or refer you if they can't verify you're "licensed", and therefore at a minimum have passed the NIHB, maintain the required insurances, and are held in good standing with the building commission (hold a license/registration to provide home inspections)!

    Standard Contracts and Documents

    Click on Home Inspector Roster brings you to this search page:

    Inspector Search

    I've tried all the major cities you list, your own website's contact listed city, all the northern counties, "gowen", etc. I've cross referenced every list I could with your phone numbers - no matches! You're just not showing up (today anyway!).

    Perhaps you need to check in with the commission staff, and find out why you're not showing up on the roster today!?! (late renewal application, not yet processed before the new year perhaps?).

    Here's a link to the technical staff directory phone numbers: Technical Staff
    Kettle calling the pot black! HG, we can't find you either!

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Re-do your "sample report".

    If it is in fact representative of what you produce , then change nothing.

    I couldn't get past Comments in Section 1.0.

    Technically wrong language, inappropriate suggested "remedies", and contridicting information.

    Just the first three comments (1) through (3) full of blantant english/spelling errors (sounds like, but not quite the right words), incorrect terms, and etc. it totally turns the reader off (as in "would I trust/risk 'this guy' to inspect the home I'm investing in?").

    Quote Originally Posted by gowenhomeinspections.com SampleReport
    ]1.0 (1) White effervescence (powder substance) on block wall indicates moisture is in contact with the masonry. This does not necessarily indicate that intrusion will occur. I recommend checking the gutters and the downspout drain lines for proper operation. Also, a water proofing paint could be applied to the interior side of the block if necessary. Effervescence is found on many homes without water intrusion occurring inside the home. But, it should alert you to the possibility that future steps may be needed.
    I like my soda water "effervescent" (bubbles/fizzes from the gas!).

    The crawlspace block wall may have demonstrated efflorescence. When your potential clients who don't know what either word might mean - look it up, and for those that DO recognize the word you use, they'll know YOU don't know what you're talking about.

    (1.0 cont.)

    (2) Possible water signs on cedar wall and trim. Could of been from an old leak. I am unable to determine if water intrusion ever occurred.

    (3) Visible signs of passed water intrusion in the crawlspace (along front of home) were present along the block wall. I am unable to determine the extent of intrusion or how often it occurs. Cross ventilation may help as the crawls has no ventilation. I recommend further investigation or correction by a qualified licensed contractor or water infiltration specialist. Refer to the diagram as a guide if a drainage system is needed.
    could be
    could have been
    not could "of" been!

    Language.

    Yet you take pictures and state in (3) showing a high water line throughout the crawlspace?!?

    Then you conclude it is from intrusion!?! The crawl space may have just as easily been flooded from a burst pipe, overflow from above, etc.


    past not passed!

    Time before now = past, something that happened before now, past; "in the past you were younger!".

    passed = past tense verb form of pass, as in I pass you the football, he passed me the football yesterday.

    Work product/example doen't show well for a "home inspector". I'm guessing its something you threw together fresh out of "home inspection school" when you first threw together a website (HG copyright 2007). Hopefully its no longer "representative" of your present "work".






    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-10-2011 at 01:00 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Kettle calling the pot black! HG, we can't find you either!
    1. Untrue. You're just playing your "game" again.

    2. I'm retired, and never was "just" a (no offense here) "home inspector".

    3. I never asked for "marketing ideas".


  11. #11
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    I looked back on the thread and for some reason Scott picked up Gene. Not sure why but it is Harry. As far as my registration goes, I am late. My applacation and payment was sent back because I did not check a box that I should have...... So, I have mailed it back and hopefully the state will get that squared away. BTW my license and Cert. numbers are on my cards, reports, brochures ect.....

    Anyway, I do need to improve my internet presence. HomeGauge host my site and they helped me get it up and running. But tips on that too would be greatly appreciated!

    So is 40-50% of houses sold get an inspection correct as suggested by some? I had hoped it was higher......

    Harry


  12. #12
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    I will look at my sample report again. I have been meaning to do that. The comment you sited was an auto fill comment from my HomeGauge software. I am going to ask Russell about it. I use some of their auto comments in my reports......


  13. #13
    Nolan Kienitz's Avatar
    Nolan Kienitz Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by huntsvillehomeinspector View Post
    I will look at my sample report again. I have been meaning to do that. The comment you sited was an auto fill comment from my HomeGauge software. I am going to ask Russell about it. I use some of their auto comments in my reports......
    If you are still using "prepared comments" from a package home inspection application I think you need to get busy and write comments that come from you mouth/mind and what you see.

    At the least modify the "canned" comments to better fit your region or inspection style.

    Talking to some programmer or rep at the software company who sells you the application does not change what ultimately YOU put in your report.

    Take the slow time and modify those comments to fit.

    If you can't access the comments to modify then I would have some real heartburn about the application ... albeit I've heard the HG is reasonably open to changes by the user/owner.


  14. #14
    Ted Williams's Avatar
    Ted Williams Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Re-do your "sample report".

    If it is in fact representative of what you produce , then change nothing.

    I couldn't get past Comments in Section 1.0.

    Technically wrong language, inappropriate suggested "remedies", and contridicting information.

    Just the first three comments (1) through (3) full of blantant english/spelling errors (sounds like, but not quite the right words), incorrect terms, and etc. it totally turns the reader off (as in "would I trust/risk 'this guy' to inspect the home I'm investing in?").



    I like my soda water "effervescent" (bubbles/fizzes from the gas!).

    The crawlspace block wall may have demonstrated efflorescence. When your potential clients who don't know what either word might mean - look it up, and for those that DO recognize the word you use, they'll know YOU don't know what you're talking about.



    could be
    could have been
    not could "of" been!

    Language.

    Yet you take pictures and state in (3) showing a high water line throughout the crawlspace?!?

    Then you conclude it is from intrusion!?! The crawl space may have just as easily been flooded from a burst pipe, overflow from above, etc.


    past not passed!

    Time before now = past, something that happened before now, past; "in the past you were younger!".

    passed = past tense verb form of pass, as in I pass you the football, he passed me the football yesterday.

    Work product/example doen't show well for a "home inspector". I'm guessing its something you threw together fresh out of "home inspection school" when you first threw together a website (HG copyright 2007). Hopefully its no longer "representative" of your present "work".




    Sorry HG. I'm with you on proper spelling and syntax. Hence, I have to call out your 'contridicting and blantant' above. Heh.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    In tracking home sales data I've always used pending sales as opposed to closed (not sure if your area tracks them?).

    Pendings are more accurate for one because of timing. Typically, the inspection takes place within days of a house going pending as opposed to the closing which is usually 2-3 weeks away... or more.

    Also, all the "fail sales" aren't reflected in closings and with all the REO junk out there I know there are a lot of buyers walking post-inspection.

    As for the % and such, it's tough to say for sure. I've always figured about 70%. I think the % may be down a bit now but I can't imagine it's much more than 10% or so.


  16. #16
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Not sure if I can track pending sales Matt buy I am going to find out. That is better for sure. I have done inspections where the sale fail through........


  17. #17
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Humphries View Post
    This thread has gone so off track....as usual.

    -
    Not sure that keeping up with sale opportunities and business growth or decline is not part of marketing my business.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Humphries View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were asking for MARKETING & ADVERTISING IDEAS, not BUSINESS MANAGEMENT. My bad. I've always assumed the two were completely different.

    -
    They go hand in hand! Without knowing how to manage your business marketing it would be like shooting ducks at night.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver - Canada
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Kettle calling the pot black! HG, we can't find you either!
    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I'm retired, and never was "just" a "home inspector".

    Oh, well that explains it.... perhaps Brian should move YOU to the DIY area

    Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

  20. #20
    Eric Russell's Avatar
    Eric Russell Guest

    Smile Re: marketing ideas?

    Hey Huntsville....don't know if you noticed, but everyone here who is legit uses their first and last names. Help us out and tell us who you are. Hope you're not this obscure with your advertising. Be proud of yourself and your company! Start here!


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    I dont get it...

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  22. #22
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Hey Guys,

    Thanks for the feedback. I am fairly new to the inspection business and this is the first time I have started a thread. The bottom line is that I really enjoy the inspection business. I like working for myself especially after a number of years in big box retail management (a lot of hours, nights, weekends, holidays, ect.) but I must say the money was pretty good. I have followed the quick start guide from HomeGauge including holding meetings, direct mail to targeted realtors, give everyone I run across a business card, and many other marketing ideas but the inspections seem to be feast or famine. It would be nice to get to a point where I could do 5 - 8 inspections a week on a regular basis......... I am getting a little old to go back into the box.......

    Harry Gowen
    gowenhomeinspections.com


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,797

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    After my website, the most effective marketing I've done has been to ask every client if they are a member of Angie's list, and if so to post a review.

    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by huntsvillehomeinspector View Post
    It would be nice to get to a point where I could do 5 - 8 inspections a week on a regular basis
    Regardless of the market or time of year, this is pretty much not going to happen. One thing this job isn't is "regular" - I've been at this 10+ years and there is rarely any consistency.

    Granted, it was easier a few years ago when inspections were more in demand but currently you have to pretty much go when/where they want if you want to work.


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    I, too, think the use of the proper words can be critical ... especially when chiding someone else about using improper words.

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    The crawlspace block wall may have demonstrated efflorescence.
    The crawlspace block wall cannot demonstrate anything ... there may have been efflorescence, or suspected efflorescence, on the wall, but the wall would not have "demonstrated" efflorescence.

    ('course, now someone will find one or more words I messed up on ... )

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Thank you for your kind P.M. Harry, and yes you are most welcome.

    As for the resident pecker-heads who cannot separate report writing from a thread post, nor look beyond a search engine miminal definition, there was an object, and a subject, and may have demonstrated X is correct as in "manifested" or "exhibited"! The OP's use of the word "effervescent" in the sample report to describe "efflorescence" was an example.

    However, the point (to review "sample report" on his website, and edit his comment marcros and word-fill dictionary, and "tweak" his H.G. software) which Harry got RIGHT AWAY and wrote to me via PM, was made, and Harry has thanked me for it.


  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Thank you for your kind P.M. Harry, and yes you are most welcome.

    As for the resident pecker-heads who cannot separate report writing from a thread post, nor look beyond a search engine miminal definition, there was an object, and a subject, and may have demonstrated X is correct as in "manifested" or "exhibited"! The OP's use of the word "effervescent" in the sample report to describe "efflorescence" was an example.

    However, the point (to review "sample report" on his website, and edit his comment marcros and word-fill dictionary, and "tweak" his H.G. software) which Harry got RIGHT AWAY and wrote to me via PM, was made, and Harry has thanked me for it.
    What exactly is a "Resident pecker-head"? Some sort of bird?
    What is the meaning of "miminal"? I can't find it in my Harvard dictionary,.


  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Buisness organization, volunteer organizations, and social group networking. Lions Club, Moose, Elks, Chamber of Commerce, Habitat for Humanity, etc.

    I'm hearing that the trend has been increasing over the last 5-7 years, last 2-1/2-3 especially, for more savy future Home buyers, to ask their Insurance Agents for referrals.

    More and more, even those first-timers who already have a rental policy, and those looking to make a change or relocation, are setting up relationship locally if not already established, discuss the ins and outs regarding neighborhoods, features, construction, inquire as to CLUE reports prior to preparing an offer on a particular property, and ask for a referral regarding home inspection. Working professionals who coordinate umbrella liability or multi-policy discounts with their agents are more likely to inquire about this from their insurance agent. Information from the HI report, listing, tax assessor, and disclosures, are often a part of the information gathered for the insurance binder active at closing.

    The trend has not been limited to the SE by any means. This trend reported longer for those "shopping" the higher middle and lower-upper-pricing categories.

    An increase also in the lower first-time has also been seen in prior years (increase in requests for HI referrals from neighborhood insurance agents), perhaps in part due to first-time buyer education classes and materials provided as a part of certain programs, with tighter underwriting for lenders, especially with special funding/underwriting programs, also perhaps in part from the multitude of information available on the www; although with budget constraints and fewer of these programs active (for first-time buyers) there might be a drop from that category.

    You might also discuss with your own personal lines agent what his/her experience has been locally with others inquiring of him/her.

    If considering donating your professional services, or discounting/sponsoring for a "program" (such as Habitat, neighborhood rehabilitation, first-time buyers programs, etc.) as both a means to contribute, and the savy byproduct of marketing/networking/etc (including "exposure" to the other sponsors/volunteers) you might also want to discuss the pros and cons with your professional lines insurer(s)/agent(s).

    Specific to the N. Alabama counties I couldn't address, however it might be something to consider in your networking and marketing efforts.

    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-13-2011 at 07:36 AM.

  29. #29
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    What exactly is a "Resident pecker-head"? Some sort of bird?
    What is the meaning of "miminal"? I can't find it in my Harvard dictionary,.
    I had a pair of those living out behind my home in Arlington (Jacksonville) Florida. A pair of The real woody wood peckers . The Great North American Woodpeckers , huge with red heads.

    I think that is what HG was talking about


  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Harry,

    Glad to see you made it back on the roster (eff. 1/13)!

    Another thought on "marketing" as well as community service time "investment" for the long-term:

    Many high schools, adult education programs, alternative programs, parenting, etc. have courses in practical socio-economics, mathmatics, etc. that covers things such as "how to keep a checkbook", "develop credit", find housing, leased or purchased, etc. "practical" courses, like home-economics, the parenting-like classes where couples are paired off in teams and pretend to be married for class work, care for an "egg" baby or doll for a week, "how to find and/or interview for a job" skills, etc. if you follow my drift.

    You might consider the possiblities of developing materials as a guest speaker regarding the home buying process, and the importance of a H.I., or even the aspects of a H.I. for a renter, or as an aid to develop a plan for maintenance/improvement prioritization; especially for those youngsters as they approach their first time seeking self-supplied housing responsibilities, even credit or non-credit courses or seminars at the community college, etc. Another possibility perhaps for guest speaking engagements and/or mentoring might be with the "wards" of the state nearing the age of transition to self-support and age of majority.

    As an educational experience, and with making yourself available as a future resource - this might be a worthwhile investment of time which could lead to future referrals and/or developed buisness.

    Just a thought for those "marketing" ideas you were asking for.

    Best of luck to you.

    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-15-2011 at 11:23 AM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    There's some really good stuff in there. The only thing I really disagree with is the bus bench and other advertising to the masses. IMO, that's just a total waste of money/time. 99.9% of people NEVER think of a home inspection until they need one and then NEVER again until they need another one. Sure, you might catch the one guy driving by the bus bench just as he get's his offer accepted but that's a stretch. And, people wating for the bus? Probably not many prospective clients there

    Also, I guess I don't always understand this perceived "war" between agents and inspectors. These threads are always full of grand generallizations about agents. It really makes me laugh.... I get my work from past clients, my website and the almightly evil real estate agents. The crooked agents so often depicted could never survive... the same way an inspector catering to them couldn't. Of course, this topic has been beat to death and we're all free to do as we please... I guess I'd just like to let any new people know that agents aren't bad people.... like any group there are some bad ones. To just make a blanket decision that they're all bad is a terrible business decision IMO. But, I thank any inspector in my area doing so


  33. #33
    mitch buchanan's Avatar
    mitch buchanan Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    I'll add my two cents on report writing, web site presentation, etc. as a marketing tool. I've run across other inspectors' reports/websites over the years and find lots of spelling/grammar errors (no, I'm not perfect when it comes to these issues).
    Many "eyes" see your web site and past reports. I believe you need to take the time to "wordsmith" all information you present to the public (reports, web site, marketing materials, etc.).
    By presenting your information in a professional manner, you create an instant, positive impression for all to see and pass along to other potential clients. Good Luck!


  34. #34
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    I Why would a guy buy a drill a drill bit and an extension cord, a pencil and a tape?

    Why would a guy employ a Home Inspector?

    You need to understand just what it is that your client wants first. ( If you think he wants an inspection your wrong )

    Over look this fact and your sales numbers will always be low...

    Best

    Ron


  35. #35
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Thanks again for the continued ideas! You guys are great........ My wife has redone my brochure and I think it is good. HomeGauge is going to replace my sample report with a new one. I hope it is a better example of my work. I also have 4 meetings set up with different Realtor offices over the next 3 weeks. (wish I had 4 inspections set up!!)

    Has anyone here used/heard of Ken Compton? He keep coming up under searches and appears to have some real good ideas but it cost $80 a month....... Has anyone tried him?

    Harry


  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by huntsvillehomeinspector View Post
    Thanks again for the continued ideas! You guys are great........ My wife has redone my brochure and I think it is good. HomeGauge is going to replace my sample report with a new one. I hope it is a better example of my work. I also have 4 meetings set up with different Realtor offices over the next 3 weeks. (wish I had 4 inspections set up!!)

    Has anyone here used/heard of Ken Compton? He keep coming up under searches and appears to have some real good ideas but it cost $80 a month....... Has anyone tried him?

    Harry
    If you want some "honest" feedback on your brochure, go ahead and upload it for use to preview....

    Ken, has a good program if you follow it. So does the other guy over in TX, I can't think of his name but he was doing it before Ken. It is not for everyone, you either like it or you don't.

    Most of their ideas have already been talked about in this thread. It all boils down to getting your name out in front of folks. The number one thing in today's market place is a good website that is not out of a cookie cutter design shop and one that is informative.

    If you want to see all of the major vendors and players in the inspection profession you should head over to Atlanta week after next. InspectionWorld Atlanta | January 25-28, 2011 will be going on and you can meet and talk with folks in the profession. If you can't stay for the entire conference you should register for just one day and visit the vendors and attend that day of education programs. It would be well worth your time and investment to attend.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  37. #37
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Harry...Did you understand what i was saying?

    You need to understand just what it is that your client wants

    Best

    Ron


  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by mitch buchanan View Post
    I'll add my two cents on report writing, web site presentation, etc. as a marketing tool. I've run across other inspectors' reports/websites over the years and find lots of spelling/grammar errors (no, I'm not perfect when it comes to these issues).
    Many "eyes" see your web site and past reports. I believe you need to take the time to "wordsmith" all information you present to the public (reports, web site, marketing materials, etc.).
    By presenting your information in a professional manner, you create an instant, positive impression for all to see and pass along to other potential clients. Good Luck!
    Great point and I second the motion.


  39. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by huntsvillehomeinspector View Post
    HomeGauge is going to replace my sample report with a new one. I hope it is a better example of my work.
    Harry
    Hi Harry, Just a suggestion. From that statement, I'm not sure if they are going to help you upload a link to your own sample report. I definitely feel the sample report should based from your own inspection report, not HG's samples.

    I agree with Scott P. that less people are getting inspections. Realtors are also dropping "subtle" hints that an inspection would just be for "informational purposes" only because the property is sold As-Is and bank or short-seller is not going to lower the price or make repairs.

    Last edited by Hank Spinnler; 01-17-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: clarification

  40. #40
    huntsvillehomeinspector's Avatar
    huntsvillehomeinspector Guest

    Default Re: marketing ideas?

    Hey Hank,

    It is my report. Well, put together from serveral reports that is.......


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •