Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Eric Shuman's Avatar
    Eric Shuman Guest

    Default TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Did any other Texas inspectors get the extremely long winded email from someone with an email address at homespec@att.net talking about the legislative bills to repeal the required E&O insurance for Tx inspectors and how detrimental it will be to Tx inspectors if the mandatory insurance is repealed?

    Does anyone know who actually sent it out? I didn't see anybody's name in the email saying they sent it, only a line at the end saying "Sincerely, Inspectors who care and wish to inform"

    Something smells a little like a lobbyist posing as a concerned home inspector.

    Don't get me wrong, I've always had E&O and believe it wise but this email was a little fishy. Seems like if this person or persons are so concerned about the issue (judging by the incredible length of the email) they might have identified themselves.

    Just curious.

    Eric

    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    I got the same message from the Texas Professional Real Estate Inspectors Association (TPREIA)

    Just a bunch of folks complaining about the costs and requirements of having to carry E&O insurance.

    My opinion is if you can't afford the cost of E&O insurance, you should find another line of work.

    Rick


  3. #3
    Nolan Kienitz's Avatar
    Nolan Kienitz Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shuman View Post
    ... Does anyone know who actually sent it out? I didn't see anybody's name in the email saying they sent it, only a line at the end saying "Sincerely, Inspectors who care and wish to inform"

    Just curious.

    Eric
    Homespec is the inspection company of Paul Roebuck who is the founder and past president of TPREIA.

    He (and TPREIA) are leading the charge to have "mandated" E&O repealed.

    They are applying a full-court press and not all the information is in proper context so read and absorb it all "very carefully".


  4. #4
    Jake Guerrero's Avatar
    Jake Guerrero Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    I got the email also. This email is attempting to make the case to NOT repeal the insurance requirement. If PR is against mandatory insurance it does not make any sense that the email is coming from him.

    The email also has a 'Reply To' and 'Unsubscribe' HTML link that goes to a state Senator legislative aide. Very clever.


  5. #5
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    There were 2 emails. One from TAREI and one from TPREIA

    The one from TPREIA is the one that would like to see the "mandatory" part of the insurance gone. Rightfully so. It should be the choice of the inspector no matter how good or bad it is.

    The very long winded one was from TAREI was the scare tactis when stating that one in 28 inspectors get brought into a claim and the average payout is 25,000.00 or better.

    Will I carry E+O if it is appealed, most likey but who knows. The absolute mass and I should say almost all claims against a home inspectors are either never heard about because they paid for a leaky pipe that was not there or all it did was eat up their deductable and the insurance company did not pay out a dime and more than likely the claim made the inspectors insurance go up.

    It is nice to know you are covered but the truth of the matter the mass amount of money going to the insurance companies is just profit spread around because deductibles almost always take care of business. This is even if there was nothing to defend because the insurance companies clock starts ticking because the threat letter is sent directly to the legal department and they get paid far more than we do and tic toc tic toc

    Personally I sent the letter to all concerned and especially the writer of the bill. It should be a choice. I can see having general liability mandated but not E+O. I think it is with me that I hate being told I must do this or that. Especially when it comes to money.

    Who knows. We may all need our E+O someday but I am doubting the tallies and the average percent paid out and I am also doubting many would get sued if they thought we did not have E+O to pay the bill. It should still be....If a suit is proven false then the one charging should have to pay all the bills. This way everyone will delve much deeper before striking out for a free payday.

    I will say that the TPREIA was more professional and not covert and certainly no scare tactics. I new for a fact straight up what I was being informed about and had all contacts listed, multiple, if you wish to state the yea or nae.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shuman View Post
    Did any other Texas inspectors get the extremely long winded email from someone with an email address at homespec@att.net talking about the legislative bills to repeal the required E&O insurance for Tx inspectors and how detrimental it will be to Tx inspectors if the mandatory insurance is repealed?

    Does anyone know who actually sent it out? I didn't see anybody's name in the email saying they sent it, only a line at the end saying "Sincerely, Inspectors who care and wish to inform"

    Something smells a little like a lobbyist posing as a concerned home inspector.

    Don't get me wrong, I've always had E&O and believe it wise but this email was a little fishy. Seems like if this person or persons are so concerned about the issue (judging by the incredible length of the email) they might have identified themselves.

    Just curious.

    Eric
    I got the same email and agree, fishy.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I got the same message from the Texas Professional Real Estate Inspectors Association (TPREIA)

    Just a bunch of folks complaining about the costs and requirements of having to carry E&O insurance.

    My opinion is if you can't afford the cost of E&O insurance, you should find another line of work.

    Rick
    I got that email too Rick but there is a different one out there promoting the benefits of E&O.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    There were 2 emails. One from TAREI and one from TPREIA


    I will say that the TPREIA was more professional and not covert and certainly no scare tactics. I new for a fact straight up what I was being informed about and had all contacts listed, multiple, if you wish to state the yea or nae.
    I agree Ted, TRREIA was much more straight forward about their position as it was a call to action. The other letter was, well, fishy.
    I always like to see who is behind the curtain with something to profit. I know TPREIA's motives, a reduction in expenses for inspectors and more freedom of choice. My question is what is to gain and who stands to gain by maintaining the status quo. Kind of like who brought the bill to pass mandatory E&O in the first place and tagged it onto a larger bill at the 11th hour a few years ago??? Seems to me that people that make money from selling the policies are the big winners here. Anyone else have a "follow the money" solution?

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  9. #9
    Eric Shuman's Avatar
    Eric Shuman Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I agree Ted, TRREIA was much more straight forward about their position as it was a call to action. The other letter was, well, fishy.
    I always like to see who is behind the curtain with something to profit. I know TPREIA's motives, a reduction in expenses for inspectors and more freedom of choice. My question is what is to gain and who stands to gain by maintaining the status quo. Kind of like who brought the bill to pass mandatory E&O in the first place and tagged it onto a larger bill at the 11th hour a few years ago??? Seems to me that people that make money from selling the policies are the big winners here. Anyone else have a "follow the money" solution?
    My sentiments exactly.


  10. #10
    Mike Boyett's Avatar
    Mike Boyett Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    I'll try to keep Texas inspectors advised on TREC & Legislative topics at my company blog. Keep up on the E&O saga here.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    This morning I got the email directly from TREC. They make a compelling case for E&O. If you look at the number of inactive inspectors you can see what the mandatory insurance has done to diminish our numbers. The guys who wanted to do them on weekends are SOL.
    Good news is no more CBS codes needed in North Texas!!!


  12. #12
    Mike Boyett's Avatar
    Mike Boyett Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Burnett View Post
    This morning I got the email directly from TREC.
    That follow-up e-mail you received this morning most definitely did not come from TREC.


  13. #13
    Mike Boyett's Avatar
    Mike Boyett Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Interesting...that is not the e-mail address on the one I received this morning. Could you forward the e-mail you received to me?

    Last edited by Mike Boyett; 03-11-2011 at 10:31 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Mike you are quick! I have all these things in a TREC folder and pulled the wrong email. You are right, it appears to be official but it isn't from TREC.
    That's not much of a surprise since TREC doesn't communicate very well with the community.


  15. #15
    Mike Boyett's Avatar
    Mike Boyett Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Whew! I was going to be Shocked and more than a little perturbed if that e-mail had come from TREC.


  16. #16
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    And the Mandatory e+o is to protect who?

    If you say the client ... bull. The absolute vast majority of payouts eat up deductible that comes out of the inspectors pocket and into the insurance companies lawyers pockets

    Protect the inspector? On some occasions but the absolute vast majority gets paid out directly from the inspectors pocket because it does not meet the deductible..

    Realtors ...... Bingo? You got it now.

    If you want to do anything to protect the clients then get the Realtors completely out of the individual or group of home inspector referrals. They have absolutely no business referring inspectors. They are not inspectors, no nothing of the rules and regs of inspectors, they are sitting on a contract worth possible thousands awaiting the results from an inspection only to keep feeding that same inspector they are waiting on an inspection report from .... more inspections. When the hell is anyone ever going to get that. That is far worse than even a home inspector giving a price for some of the repairs.

    Home inspector giving price to do work

    The buyer and or buyers agent gets more quotes

    The seller or the sellers agent gets their own prices and either fixes items or gives allowances for the repairs


    Now that leaves the buyer, the buyers agent, the sellers agent, the seller all between the inspector that gave that price and doing the work.

    The Realtor giving referrals

    Standing in the way of the Realtor talking the client into how wonderful his/her inspector is and calling him to line up the inspection that that agent is waiting to make possible thousands on.

    NO ONE

    Keeping some inspectors working inspections part time and robbing other inspectors of their livelihood.

    Well I will give you that one but the numbers are serious screwed up as far as what the numbers are of inspectors getting out because they only do it part time and could not afford the insurance. Most are inactive due to the poor economy, half the work there once was etc etc etc. I know some that went to find other jobs because the home inspection gig cut back to far.

    Make the getting into being a home inspector much much harder. back ground, hundreds of real hours of class (600), a multitude of school performed home inspections, a full one year apprentice, another year as a Real Estate Inspector, then a few hundred question test that must be passed with at least a 75% minimum and then come out as a Professional Home Inspector.

    YOU WANT TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC AND HOME INSPECTORS IN THE FIELD. YOU REALLY NEED TO GO ABOUT IT DIFFERENT THAN WHAT IS AT PRESENT.

    Before the Mandatory E+O gets repealed enact all I mentioned above. Everyone will be protected from the Realtors playing home inspector (absolutely no referrals in any direction to home inspector or they lose their license) Inspectors because their won't be every Tom Dick or Harry coming into the field as once a floor sweeper or completely non related field or profession, Inspectors also because they won't be forced into buying E+O and will be their choice to protect themselves, the client because he won't have every Tom Dick or Harry doing inspections out there and will get a true, experienced, full time Professional Home Inspector.

    Because someone puts a picture (which is not even a requirement) on the wrong page of the report and gets a 2,500.00 dollar fine from TREC ...... Are you freaking kidding me? Is not the way to do things.

    Doubling fines for possible oopses for such crazy items. Did I say or mention, DOUBLING FINES FOR SUCH CRAZINESS? How about a verbal/written reprimand and then a small fine if the oops happens again and then a whopping fine as in three strikes you are out. A 2,500.00 dollar fine for a picture accidentally put on the wrong page even though the man was exonerated. Give it a darn rest will you.

    So folks in charge at TREC, you really need to pull it all together.


    Last edited by Ted Menelly; 03-11-2011 at 02:18 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: TX inspector email about repealing E&O Insur.

    Just got an email bashing another association for pushing for repeal of E&O without asking their association about all their members views. (Even though that is not correct) It just gets better and better. Pretty soon it is going to be like Nacho and ASHI bashing.

    I still say follow the money; trouble is you can't tell who all the players are even with a program!

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •