Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    103

    Default Number Of Complaints

    Last edited by Randy King; 10-13-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Please delete
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Much like you, the odd complaint, but dealing quickly with the complaint seems to appease those that have called up looking for clarification, or why I didn't see something that would be classified as a latent defect, such as mould behind a bathtub, cracked heat exchanger.

    Dealing with callbacks quickly and professionally will in the long run is a risk reduction tool.

    Cheers,


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    None.
    1. Custom detailed inspection agreement reviewed by attorney. Not the canned product. I email it ahead of the inspection to allow them a chance to read it and make comments.
    2. Re-state basics at the inspection, i.e., visual, snapshot at this time, can't guarantee future, etc.
    3. Communicate with the client before, during, and after the inspection. Answer questions, offer advice, employ a little humor. Treat them with respect and courtesy.(Golden Rule)
    4. Do they like Mike Holmes? So do you. Great philosophy. Tell them there are times you would like to tear things open to see what was hidden but unfortunately you can't do that in the real world. They understand.
    I will say that I refunded an inspection fee before a client even said anything or had a chance to. I disclosed inspection information to a loan processor without obtaining permission from the client beforehand. Got duped, wasn't thinking, thought I was helping the process. When I heard from agent about repair demands being made by the processor, I knew what had happened. I immediately sent a check to the client with my apology for violating our agreement. I didn't wait for a complaint.

    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    I have not had any in the past 5 years. The last one was with a roof and the client(a doctor with deep pockets) was not happy with the way the trusses made the roof look on his $2M home. The roof had slight dips between a few of the trusses. His friend the "roofing contractor" said that the roof was on wrong, etc....

    Their agent was throwing me under the bus as well, so I decided that I wanted to stop the process and ended up refunding the fee and giving them a little extra to make it go away. In my contract I have a clause that limits my exposure to the fee paid plus $500 as my maximum liability.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    You can pretty much count on about 1/1000 people being nuts and trying to make your life hell.... at least that's been our company statistics over the years. Contracts, what you wrote, said or did don't matter at all to these people. As Scott did, throwing some money at them early can often make it go away and is the best thing to do. What's right and wrong flies out the window quickly.

    If you've never run across one of these folks consider yourself fortunate.... they're out there.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    From clients - None
    From realtors - plenty. They have this weird idea that I am always trying to kill their deals.
    On a side note, just as clients screen service providers, I screen clients. During the initial conversation we all ask questions about this, that. If I get an odd feeling about a client or they express unrealistic expectations, I'll remember I'm busy for the next few days. You can tell some people are a little nuts. I'll let the other guy have that headache.

    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    S.W. Missouri
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Their agent was throwing me under the bus as well, so I decided that I wanted to stop the process and ended up refunding the fee and giving them a little extra to make it go away. In my contract I have a clause that limits my exposure to the fee paid plus $500 as my maximum liability.
    I hope you also enclosed a letter stating that by refunding the fee you were in no way admitting to any error in reporting.

    I have only had complaints from sellers, realtors and flippers. Never from a client in the 10 years I've been doing inspections. I do have a file full of "Thank You letters" though.


  8. #8
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    on his $2M home. The roof had slight dips between a few of the trusses.
    I have a standard statement on all my reports Re: Uneven roofs, interior ceilings /walls and floors. I find these problems are on every home i have ever inspected.

    Best

    Ron


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    I've had three so far this year, all from sellers. What's funny, is I didn't hear a peep from either Realtor on any of them. Haven't had a complaint from a client for a long time. Haven't given back a fee in a very long time


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    From clients - None
    From realtors - plenty. They have this weird idea that I am always trying to kill their deals.
    On a side note, just as clients screen service providers, I screen clients. During the initial conversation we all ask questions about this, that. If I get an odd feeling about a client or they express unrealistic expectations, I'll remember I'm busy for the next few days. You can tell some people are a little nuts. I'll let the other guy have that headache.
    Yes Markus, it is wise to do that. Especially when they ask if you have E&O insurance.

    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,797

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    None this year

    The year before, a seller called to complain that I had broken her AC. I offered to pay for repairs if the tech though I had caused the problem, and immediately drove out to meet him. I got there as he as telling the seller: "Same problem as last year - all that lint from the dryer is clogging up the coil." (Problem has been noted in report, but the seller has not seen it). Seller apologized, I later did an inspection for the seller's sister because of "The way you handled the problem".

    Year before the, none.

    Year before that, none.

    Year before that, two:

    1) That I had I missed a second and third cracked rafters in an attic with very difficult access (packed full of possessions) - I had reported the one I did see, and the report noted that when the attic was cleared out and the carpenter got up there with better light and more time, they might find more.

    2) That I had missed a leaking window (different property). It had been dry for two weeks before the inspection, there was a torrential rain a few days after the buyer moved in. The report noted that due to the re-siding I could not fully evaluate the window installation and especially the head flashings, that recent weather had been dry, and that these were areas where intermittent leaks might be discovered in wetter weather.

    Prior to that, no complaints.

    IMO. this is how it should be, if someone is getting more than a handful of complaints per thousand inspections, or complaints about clear inspection errors, they need to improve their inspection, reporting and/or client communications practices.

    OTOH, there is a successful inspector in my area who is proud of the fact that he is threatened with lawsuits several times a year.

    ------------

    Like Markus, I will turn down business if it does not feel "right" - happens once or twice a year.

    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 03-28-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,797

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    This thread does bring up an interesting question: does E&O (FRIA, in my case) cover an inspector if they are sued by a party to a transaction other than their client?

    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Got a complaint last week that I had "left all the toilet seats" open. Go figure.

    rick


  14. #14

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    This thread does bring up an interesting question: does E&O (FRIA, in my case) cover an inspector if they are sued by a party to a transaction other than their client?
    We would likely send a letter to whoever the claimant is denying any liability for their claim given that you had no contractual obligation to them.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,797

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Garrison View Post
    We would likely send a letter to whoever the claimant is denying any liability for their claim given that you had no contractual obligation to them.
    So, if the SELLER sues me, I'm on my own, eh?

    Wow, for around 40% more than I could be paying for *apparently* equivalent coverage, and considering that this is likely a blue-moon event in terms of payout, it seems to me that my "high-end" E&O *really* ought to cover this risk.

    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

  16. #16
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    From clients - None
    From realtors - plenty. They have this weird idea that I am always trying to kill their deals.
    On a side note, just as clients screen service providers, I screen clients. During the initial conversation we all ask questions about this, that. If I get an odd feeling about a client or they express unrealistic expectations, I'll remember I'm busy for the next few days. You can tell some people are a little nuts. I'll let the other guy have that headache.
    I do that many times a year. If I feel folks are more concerned with my insurance for instance than they are me and have not read my website, know nothing about me, are only asking foor price and do I have "that insurance" along with responsibility on who's part if items are missed etc ......... I tell them I am way too busy and could not get to it for a couple weeks and refer them to Rick Hurst Just kidding Rick.

    As far as the fool with deep pockets .... I do not hold back when they are trying to get something from me for nothing. I politely explain what was and what is and if they come back with threats I fire both barrels verbally and in writing. I refuse to be held captive over a [possible smear. I told of such in another thread some time ago. I have actually begged to be taken to court. I received a letter from a Lawyer that never read my report and was firing of threats of lawsuits and demand for immediate payment on items missed that was clearly in the report ... clearly stated. I told him what was and what is and demanded to be taken to court because I would love a fat payday.


  17. #17

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Sadly, perception is reality in most cases. There are times when a home buyer calls me because the inspector (who I insure) "missed" something. 7 times out of 10, the calls come as a result of the buyer not truly understanding what the home inspector is there to do. You can tell them all day long what your inspection includes and what it excludes, but as soon as a roofer tells them they need a new roof because YOU missed something, they're coming for you.

    I was discussing a claim I'm dealing with on another message board and the long story short is this: buyers are not happy with the inspection because there were some issues with the house a few months later. The inspector goes back and agrees that he "might" have missed some things. He refunded the inspection fee and properly released himself with a solid agreement.

    Buyer calls me to express her discontent with the inspection. I said to her, "While I'm sympathetic to your situation, I'm holding a release form you signed and a copy of a cashed check." Of course she "signed it under duress as it was the day before Thanksgiving." Hmmmmm, did she then cash the check under duress?

    Anyway, we wrote a letter of declination of liability on his behalf using the release form and refund as the basis of it. But now the plaintiff's attorney is going to go after his bond. I'm not sure how they can do that but it just goes to show that people will stop at nothing when they BELIEVE they have suffered a financial loss as a consequence of someone else's negligence.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Westminster, B. C., Canada
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Hi, ALL &

    Also "None" - except yesterday, out-of-the-blue...

    I had parked on the opposite side of the street, due to limitations & despite my preference and practice to park close-as-possible on the same side as the home.

    Am up on the roof & hear a woman sceaming: "Is this YOUR vehicle... !?"

    "You're in MY spot" (go figure,as she has already parked on her side, but a few spots away from right-in-front, as usual - Hasn't she anything better to do ???).

    Now, I have a wonderful vantage point from where I am & just smile, wave & I confirm YES. Then: "Are you going to be there long ?"

    Again 'YES', as I've only really begun...

    With hands on her hips & her best frown, she GLARES at me; I'm awaiting some kind of idle threat (despite me knowing full well I'm in the right & she is just venting, thinking she is living in a 'perfect' world).

    " Aren't you going to move it so I can use MY spot" ???

    No, Maam (with a smile & the Client & her Agent are standing there very quiet and still - just observing)...

    Finish-off with: 'Longer you keep trying to "have it YOUR way", the longer I'll be parked there...'

    Was left wondering it my Client was thinking "do I want to be living across the street from THAT" ???


    Go-figure with some people...


    CHEERS !

    -Glenn Duxbury, CHI

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Glen,
    Did you state in your report that the you observed a neighbor producing a distinctive noise and that is possibly at the end of its useful life? With the recommendation of further evaluation.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, N.C.
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Complaints are a part of the job. An inspector is inherently negative. We aren't paid to complement the wall paper. And we're expected to be perfect. We're going to piss off people.
    The first time I had a complaint (as a contractor) I'd been at it for 10 years. I asked my lawyer for his opinion of the complaint and the matter. He said, "10 years? First complaint? You've been lucky and just over due." Math is immutable. If you do any inspecting of any reasonable volume, you're going to go back and answer some questions. That 1 in a 1000 is just something pulled out of the air. I answer 5 or 6 a year. I do 3-400 a year. It isn't the number of complaints, but how you handle them. I have a stock answer to the first call: "When can I come over and see the problem?" Just did one this week. Pipe under the sink dripped 2 drips in the 10 minutes I laid there and watched it. I told her that during the scope of the inspection I could not see a leak and then I fixed it for her.
    jlmathis


  21. #21
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    Complaints are a part of the job. An inspector is inherently negative. We aren't paid to complement the wall paper. And we're expected to be perfect. We're going to piss off people.
    The first time I had a complaint (as a contractor) I'd been at it for 10 years. I asked my lawyer for his opinion of the complaint and the matter. He said, "10 years? First complaint? You've been lucky and just over due." Math is immutable. If you do any inspecting of any reasonable volume, you're going to go back and answer some questions. That 1 in a 1000 is just something pulled out of the air. I answer 5 or 6 a year. I do 3-400 a year. It isn't the number of complaints, but how you handle them. I have a stock answer to the first call: "When can I come over and see the problem?" Just did one this week. Pipe under the sink dripped 2 drips in the 10 minutes I laid there and watched it. I told her that during the scope of the inspection I could not see a leak and then I fixed it for her.
    jlmathis
    You are extremely tolerant. If that is the only thing someone can come up with and that is what they do come up with, I brush it off as it should be brushed off.

    That is all I have to say. You are extremely tolerant. I am sure you gave it a twist and it stopped.

    For someone to even call you with such ignorance fully expecting you to run over and count 2 drips in ten minutes after you went over their entire home .......................

    All I have to say is that you are extremely tolerant. The folks that move probably banged the plumbing pulling their goodies out or if no one lived there it developed a small drip over time.

    One more time. You are extremely tolerant.


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Home Inspector... AKA Home warranty.

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    You are extremely tolerant.
    That is all I have to say. You are extremely tolerant. I am sure you gave it a twist and it stopped.

    All I have to say is that you are extremely tolerant.
    One more time. You are extremely tolerant.
    He may have wasted an hour of his life, or he may have spared the reputation of his company from a lot of negative feedback. These whiners are the ones that can't stop screaming "He ripped me off". You have to deal with them, IMO. Now if all our happy clients were half as vocal, it wouldn't matter so much.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  24. #24
    Mitchell Toelle's Avatar
    Mitchell Toelle Guest

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Ben,

    You said, "Anyway, we wrote a letter of declination of liability on his behalf using the release form and refund as the basis of it. But now the plaintiff's attorney is going to go after his bond. I'm not sure how they can do that but it just goes to show that people will stop at nothing when they BELIEVE they have suffered a financial loss as a consequence of someone else's negligence."

    I did not know HI's were required to have a bond. I live in CA and licensed Contractors are required to have bonds (different for pool and, I believe roof contractors). We are a non-lic state regarding HI's and our B&P codes dictate and define laws regarding home inspections. We have a great Association (CREIA) and there is an ASHI presence in CA. But bonds are not required. Tell me, are some states requiring a bond for HI's?


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Mitchell,
    Your are saying Bond and I think you mean Liability, though kinda the same but different.
    Maryland has $ 150,000 required Liability.


  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Succasunna NJ
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Everyone should learn from each complaint/phone call.

    About 3 years ago, I received a complaint that there was no heat on the 2nd floor (hot water baseboard). The house was only a year old but there was so much air in the lines, water was not reaching the 2nd floor.

    Now, when there is no 'air scoop' on the system, I report 'While not required, I recommend installing an air scoop..."

    I also walk the house (hopefully with the client) and shoot all the baseboards, radiators or FA registers and write "as you confirmed on site, all the heating units were producing heat..."

    Same thing with the A/C- "As you confirmed during the inspection, the house feels comfortable when outside temperature was about ^temperature^."

    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, N.C.
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    I think that I have a good clientel and good referals from the agents because they know I'll be there to answer concerns. It's not a big geographic market and I'm out there anyway.
    Now I don't always just bend over. I have no problem pointing out a clause in my contract that clearly states anything under $250.00 in repairs is not warranted. I don't guarantee perfection. (an expectation, by the way, we and the agents are complicit in creating). But a little massaging does wonders for the bottom line.

    JLMathis


  28. #28

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Toelle View Post
    Ben,

    You said, "Anyway, we wrote a letter of declination of liability on his behalf using the release form and refund as the basis of it. But now the plaintiff's attorney is going to go after his bond. I'm not sure how they can do that but it just goes to show that people will stop at nothing when they BELIEVE they have suffered a financial loss as a consequence of someone else's negligence."

    I did not know HI's were required to have a bond. I live in CA and licensed Contractors are required to have bonds (different for pool and, I believe roof contractors). We are a non-lic state regarding HI's and our B&P codes dictate and define laws regarding home inspections. We have a great Association (CREIA) and there is an ASHI presence in CA. But bonds are not required. Tell me, are some states requiring a bond for HI's?
    His state, Washington, requires a bond.


  29. #29
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Ok

    So, I started writing this and chose not to put full disclosure in here but my question is.

    Have you ever had a seller/home flipper literally try to bully you, as in telling you what to, what not to inspect as well as how long you are going to take and to get on with it ..... repeatedly no matter how nice your replies were to the man. I repeat ... repeatedly, to the point of getting in your face.

    If so, I am very curious, what have you done to temper the situation.


  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Garrison View Post
    His state, Washington, requires a bond.
    Bond is usually in conjunction about performance. Contracting to perform work and then not completing that work, ie. Roofer takes your money and does not put roof on.

    Liability Ins is about damage that a contractor does to the property while there are there. ie. Contractor's ladder breaks window.

    Error and Omission is what is described wrong and what is missed. ie. You describe the roof an new and good condition, when it is worn out and 35 yrs old. You did not report the water stains on 1st fl ceiling under the the 2nd fl bath.

    In Maryland a contractor carries a Bond held via the State and has Liability Ins. via independent insurance provider.

    In Maryland a HI is required to have only Liability Ins. no Bond, no E&O required.
    In PA I think its Liability and E&O required, no Bond required.

    Think I have the examples correct.

    Going after a Bond would be as if the HI did not do the inspection but took the money for the inspection. Unless the Bonds are worded unusual. Going after bond does not serve purpose.

    Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 04-05-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL COMMENT

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, N.C.
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Once years ago, the builder told me that if I wrote down anything at all he'd tell the buyer to go engage in a graphic act. I did. He didn't.
    Just this week had my first agent ask me to "go easy". The problem was her client, the buyer, was her aunt!
    jlmathis


  32. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    In the past 5 years I've had one, which was unwarrented.

    New home, noticed water in basement. On the outside, the grade sloped towards corner between basement stairs bulkhead and foundation. Recommended regrading and rewaterproofing foundation, builder was curiously fast to agree. When dug up I noticed storm drains detached below grade, and water in storm pipes.

    Even though this in underground piping, I tried to help my client, and suggested the pipe closer to drywell be inspected, as there should not be water sitting in pipe (possible clog). When they dug the hole next to the well, it filled with water. I suggested inspecting drywell. Builder agreed, and we made appointment for following day. When I arrived, they had already finished. early). I asked why they closed up hole? My client said they had to close it. I told them they should have waited for me.

    Anyway, 1 week after moving in there was a major flood. Turns out the drywell contractor cheated and put in a useless drywell with zero drainage. When the well filled, it backed up. My client blamed me for not knowing this. Lots of people got sued. The only thing that saved me is my contract stating I am not responsible for underground piping.

    I felt very bad for the purchaser, but in the end, the problem was corrected.

    Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 04-05-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Smile Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Ok

    So, I started writing this and chose not to put full disclosure in here but my question is.

    Have you ever had a seller/home flipper literally try to bully you, as in telling you what to, what not to inspect as well as how long you are going to take and to get on with it ..... repeatedly no matter how nice your replies were to the man. I repeat ... repeatedly, to the point of getting in your face.

    If so, I am very curious, what have you done to temper the situation.
    You can try to calm the seller/flipper who sees you as the person that has come to queer the deal that has been negotiated. They perceive an adversarial relationship. Typically the seller has lowered the price from the listing price and they are upset as a result. The seller is emotionally involved, you as the HI can not get emotional and can not allow to be goated into becoming emotional (no mater what). Not getting worked up is part of your job, that's called professionalism. Getting the seller to understand that you are there to actually help the sale is the difficult task but not impossible.

    Often having the seller realize that without the inspection and report for the buyer the offer would have been greatly less than what was offered as a result of the unknown by the buyer. (((one approach)))

    Years ago as a buyers agent I would suggest that the buyer multiply what they felt was needed to bring the property up to their expectations of market value by a factor of 1.3 or greater. Reason being was that there were unknown costs associated with the purchase. Cost overrun. This has changed as most buyer's bring in a HI to provide them with the evaluation that now leads to the reduction of the buyers offer. The process has really changed and evolved. Sellers now accept an offer only to have it revoked and a lessor offer presented. Most people are just not comfortable in the bartering process because they internalize it.

    Its psychology and sales aptitude. Not about your Ego. You first have to understand where the other person is coming from to understand what they are really saying. Once you understand what they are really saying you then can formulate a way to deescalate that person's fears. It is like having a dog barking at you, understanding what the dog fears and what makes the feel threatened. You can act to make that dog feel at ease and becomes your friend. Body language, good attitude and what you say makes the difference.


  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Steve,
    You can lead a horse to water ..........
    They trusted the contractor more than you, go figure that.


  35. #35
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    You can try to calm the seller/flipper who sees you as the person that has come to queer the deal that has been negotiated. They perceive an adversarial relationship. Typically the seller has lowered the price from the listing price and they are upset as a result. The seller is emotionally involved, you as the HI can not get emotional and can not allow to be goated into becoming emotional (no mater what). Not getting worked up is part of your job, that's called professionalism. Getting the seller to understand that you are there to actually help the sale is the difficult task but not impossible.

    Often having the seller realize that without the inspection and report for the buyer the offer would have been greatly less than what was offered as a result of the unknown by the buyer. (((one approach)))

    Years ago as a buyers agent I would suggest that the buyer multiply what they felt was needed to bring the property up to their expectations of market value by a factor of 1.3 or greater. Reason being was that there were unknown costs associated with the purchase. Cost overrun. This has changed as most buyer's bring in a HI to provide them with the evaluation that now leads to the reduction of the buyers offer. The process has really changed and evolved. Sellers now accept an offer only to have it revoked and a lessor offer presented. Most people are just not comfortable in the bartering process because they internalize it.

    Its psychology and sales aptitude. Not about your Ego. You first have to understand where the other person is coming from to understand what they are really saying. Once you understand what they are really saying you then can formulate a way to deescalate that person's fears. It is like having a dog barking at you, understanding what the dog fears and what makes the feel threatened. You can act to make that dog feel at ease and becomes your friend. Body language, good attitude and what you say makes the difference.
    Not everyone can be politely and professionally stroked into submission.

    I was not actually asking what I should do but what you or others have done in such a situation in the past, if, such a situation has come across you at an inspection.

    I have had folks try to take complete control and have been able to mentally stroke them into submission and come out laughing in the end and was able to not only complete the inspection but to be left to my business with no further interruptions and antagonism.

    I have dealt with, interacted with, managed companies around, worked beside, come to mutual agreements with, put fires out involving, played the physiologist to, and made completely happy .... the general public. Being self reliant and independant my entire working life with only a couple of short periods actually working for others, I have had to handle about every possible situation you could possibly muster.

    I have also been in the situation where I would have to step in and take control over situations where others were out of control with the situation deteriorating rapidly and pull it back together and save the proverbial day.

    In this situation, after all else failed after a solid half hour of harassment, I had to regain control. After 39 years of working as an independent and having to deal with, quite successfully, these types of situations this is the first time I had to give someone an ultimatum. Albeit quite composed and tactically proper for the situation, I explained that the gentleman to my right (the buyer) is paying me to do a thorough and professional inspection on this home he is considering buying. In saying such I explained to the kindly 87 year old, extremely ornery, home flipper, that the only thing that could happen with such antagonism would be for me to eventually walk after collecting my full inspection fee from the buyer because my time is allotted carefully to keep my cost down and walk or not he will still be charged the same making him very unhappy. The second choice would be for the kind and gentle old man to go get himself some coffee and a snack and come back in an hour or so. The third choice was for him to take a seat on the window seat, where he started out and let me get on with the task at hand.

    His response was that he was not leaving (his empty flip home) because he did not want anyone there "unsupervised" and he abruptly turned around and headed to his window seat where he started out with his head turning half to the side saying (to get the last word in) "Then get on with it".

    In case you are wondering, all of this was handled with tact with other explanations about the Texas Real Estate Standards and Guidelines as to how to and what to inspect. All of this was also handled with the thought in mind that this man was 87. I reespect my elders, if for no other reason, because they have been alive for so long and have seen a lot in life.

    This would be the first time I actually (kindly and politely) told someone to go sit in their corner.

    Also in case you are wondering. By putting this man in check the inspection wound up working out quite nicely with the man acting with targeted respect toward me with jovial conversation, smiles, hand shake and also a "It was nice meeting you Ted. Good job"

    That is what professionalism is all about. Knowing and understanding the situation at hand and being able to take complete control with the very desired and friendly out come with the fire not only being able to be put out but the mess cleaned up quite nicely with everyone happy in the end.

    This is one of those "You would have to have been there" moments. You also have to understand that this kind gentleman of 87 is also a very large 6' 6" man of the ex corporate type that had been in charge all his life inches away from my face demanding what and how it would be done staring down at my 6 " self.


  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    I got a call from an agent this morning telling me that her client stated that the home inspector was so ugly and beastly like that he'd had scared her kids.

    She kept calling me Ted, so I told her she had the wrong inspector and to have a nice day..

    rick


  37. #37
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Number Of Complaints

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I got a call from an agent this morning telling me that her client stated that the home inspector was so ugly and beastly like that he'd had scared her kids.

    She kept calling me Ted, so I told her she had the wrong inspector and to have a nice day..

    rick
    This was even worse. There was no realtor to baby sit.

    Last edited by Ted Menelly; 04-05-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •