Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Competitor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    103

    Default Competitor

    Just curious if others get competitors calling or emailing trying to retrieve info. I have or at least assume a few years ago I had some but I have recently had a few odd inquiries and emails which seam to be local competition or someone interested in HI trying to get an idea as to pricing and general business practice. Thanks in advance gentleman, hope the inspecting is going well!

    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Competitor

    It happens from time to time, and you can usually tell by the questions they ask. Of course, caller ID helps sometimes.
    When the caller ID shows an inspection company calling, the answers are not always truthful


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    .

    When the caller ID shows an inspection company calling, the answers are not always truthful
    .
    Come on Jack ,
    Promised to Inspect my 3 story Top of The Mountain 12,000 sf Mac Mansion, Pool, Pool house, Mother in-law Suite for $149.99.
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy King View Post
    Thanks in advance gentleman, hope the inspecting is going well!
    Just a reminder that there are lady inspectors (like me!) on the forum too!

    --Welmoed

    Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    Just a reminder that there are lady inspectors (like me!) on the forum too!

    --Welmoed
    So he is wrong on both accounts?

    He addressed "gentlemen" but not "ladies", and there are "ladies" here, but I'm not sure there are any "gentlemen" here.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy King View Post
    Just curious if others get competitors calling or emailing trying to retrieve info. I have or at least assume a few years ago I had some but I have recently had a few odd inquiries and emails which seam to be local competition or someone interested in HI trying to get an idea as to pricing and general business practice. Thanks in advance gentleman, hope the inspecting is going well!
    My wife and one of her friends call around about once a year for our company. It never hurts to find out what others are doing and how they are pricing their services. They call from their cell phones and use a typical 2000 sf home and a 3,500sf home. They have gotten to be pretty good at it and we really do find out what we are wanting to know.

    You would be surprised at how many of those inspectors who tell other inspectors they are charging $375 for a 2000sf home are really charging $300 when they are trying to book that call!

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Competitor

    My wife is a realtor so she works with most inspectors out here...for me of course..

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: Competitor

    welmoed
    is you're real name Bob?
    or are you working under him?



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    welmoed
    is you're real name Bob?
    or are you working under him?
    Hmmmm, double entendre?...............

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  10. #10

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    welmoed
    is you're real name Bob?
    or are you working under him?
    Hardy har har.

    Yes, it's my real name. It's an old Dutch name meaning "full of good cheer." And in case you're curious, it's pronounced "VEL-moot."

    I'm "Mrs. Bob" to most people who call our office regularly.

    --Welmoed

    Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,777

    Default Re: Competitor

    Randy,
    You may be getting calls from people in a Home Inspection class. Homework assignment was to find out what is being charged for inspection. Come back to class and share info. gathered.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: Competitor

    Thanks gentleman & ladies! Appreciate the input, Gary I have heard that before and makes sense as some of the questions have seemed direct for attempting to retrieve certain info yet non very good communication skills. Just figured i'd ssee what everybody else had to say. Good luck inspecting!


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Competitor

    An excellent way of knowing what the competition does is by going to local H.I. gatherings. Get to know the gays and gals in your area. You'll find that you'll become good friends with many of them and that there can be significant sharing of information.

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    An excellent way of knowing what the competition does is by going to local H.I. gatherings. Get to know the gays and gals in your area. You'll find that you'll become good friends with many of them and that there can be significant sharing of information.
    ???????

    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    3,177

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    ???????
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    An excellent way of knowing what the competition does is by going to local H.I. gatherings. Get to know the gays and gals in your area. You'll find that you'll become good friends with many of them and that there can be significant sharing of information.
    Hmmmm....I think it would be hard for me to face one or two of my competitors without wanting to sock'em.

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Hmmmm....I think it would be hard for me to face one or two of my competitors without wanting to sock'em.
    Yeah, well I can appreciate that. Competitors like that are costly to the rest of us as well as our industry's reputation. The "sock'em" approach sure sounds pretty good sometimes but it wouldn't do much for the professional image most of us want to keep.

    Last edited by Eric Barker; 03-09-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: correct typo
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Yeah, well I can appreciate that. Competitors like that are costly to the rest of us as well as our industry's reputation. The "sock'em" approach sure sounds pretty good sometimes but it would do much for the professional image most of us want to keep.
    Yea, never really got the concept of trashing the other guy to make yourself look better.

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  19. #19
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Competitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Yea, never really got the concept of trashing the other guy to make yourself look better.
    Oh, but can't you just sit back and day dream about thrashing that other person and the initial good feeling it would be .....before someone locks you up


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •