Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 131 to 166 of 166
  1. #131

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    From the comment by Steven T on the review post on this topic, it looks like maybe you should make it 36 people so you can reply to your private emails in a timely manner from poential customers, instead of making excuses that your too busy to reply

    Free Marketing tip, for the others, [ I'm sure the expert book writing/ marketing geru Nathan knows this ]
    NEVER tell a poential client that you've been too busy, or make excuses explaining why you didn't reply to their email .
    You're absolutely right. Not to get political, but I get really frustrated at how hard it is to get more people...supposedly a tough job market but I don't have a line at the door either. But yes, a 36th would be great. Working my way through 'em today as promised!

    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    And the answer is ???

    Not for lack of time from the number and length of the postings.
    There has to be another reason..........What could it be ????
    I believe you can find that information here
    Posted Saturday morning about 9:15 am. Post #10
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...inspector.html

    Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 09-17-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    @ Nathan: Snake oil comes to mind.
    Snake oil???
    Between the nacho site with 74 replies and 1685 views, and this site with 132 replies and over 1800 views I have yet to see any inspector claim Nathan or any of Nathans products helped them get new business, or even help them with past customers

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  4. #134

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Snake oil???
    Between the nacho site with 74 replies and 1685 views, and this site with 132 replies and over 1800 views I have yet to see any inspector claim Nathan or any of Nathans products helped them get new business, or even help them with past customers
    These were threads about the book. If you're looking for testimonials about me, just search "RecallChek" in Google or on the forums. You'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly...or you could just use our stuff for free like many have and judge for yourself rather than allowing anyone else's opinion to guide your decisionmaking process- including mine.

    Here's a few videos for you, maybe more information would be a good thing ---> Sell More DVD | Inspector Services Group


  5. #135
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    These were threads about the book. If you're looking for testimonials about me, just search "RecallChek" in Google or on the forums. You'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly...or you could just use our stuff for free like many have and judge for yourself rather than allowing anyone else's opinion to guide your decisionmaking process- including mine.

    Here's a few videos for you, maybe more information would be a good thing ---> Sell More DVD | Inspector Services Group
    LOL Just another post that indicates you do not read whats posted, and just looking for another chance to get a free ad.

    Here's what you link states


    Differentiate Your Company

    Reduce Liability

    Increase Profitability

    Save Money and Increase Profits

    Create Value

    Sell More Radon Testing Now

    Increase Efficiency


    You can twist words any way you want, or ignor comments all you want.
    The fact is, Not - 1[ One] inspector [out of over 3500 views] claimed your products work, not to mention not one inspector claimed to use any of your marketing/ gimmicks to get new homeowners address's and contact information helped them get new or past business...

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  6. #136

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    LOL Just another post that indicates you do not read whats posted, and just looking for another chance to get a free ad.

    Here's what you link states


    Differentiate Your Company

    Reduce Liability

    Increase Profitability

    Save Money and Increase Profits

    Create Value

    Sell More Radon Testing Now

    Increase Efficiency


    You can twist words any way you want, or ignor comments all you want.
    The fact is, Not - 1[ One] inspector [out of over 3500 views] claimed your products work, not to mention not one inspector claimed to use any of your marketing/ gimmicks to get new homeowners address's and contact information helped them get new or past business...
    Why would I need a free ad? My ads are all over this site. That doesn't make any sense. My stuff works, inspectors keep using it, that's why those ads are there.

    Did you do the search as I suggested to see what customers say? On the InterNACHI forum for instance you'll find numerous threads like one entitled "RecallChek, the good the bad and the ugly...". I'd be happy to invite you to inspector groups on facebook (closed groups) for our inspector clients if you'd send me a message on Facebook (just go to NathanThornberry.com). I don't understand exactly what you're looking for, I certainly wouldn't expect client testimonials being posted on one of these book threads. That doesn't seem reasonable.


  7. #137
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    You knew the answer, but how else were we supposed to get this thread over 1,000 views?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    Why would I need a free ad? My ads are all over this site.
    Double talk, hidden agendas...a true politician.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  8. #138

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Double talk, hidden agendas...a true politician.

    Got back to all those emails that were being alluded to earlier in the thread, thanks for your patience all!

    Ken, vote for me! What was all that talk earlier of wanting to "help me out"? It was all a load of crap... OBVIOUSLY. It was obvious from the beginning of this thread and every other one you've ever participated in where I posted as well. It worked a little I suppose, you actually had a couple guys thinking I was avoiding your questions that didn't understand the bitter tone of your petulant hounding.

    Just an FYI- I wasn't avoiding your questions before, I have nothing to hide and nothing to prove to you sir at the same time.

    At home again today? LOL


  9. #139
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Actually I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and the chance to answer the question regarding your back ground. Days went by without a response from you until finally someone else gave the answer. You never did answer the question and now are flip flopping on your intentions of this thread. You left your own impression...don't try to blame anyone else.

    By the way, I wrote that before doing my three inspections today. All without selling my client's information to people like you.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,778

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Nathan,
    Now understanding that your underlying interest in not answering direct questions is reveling. I had higher expectations and hoped those expectations would be justified. Using a Straw Man argument to generate discussion was a poor decision predicated on a poor motive.

    Good sales are based on truth and veracity. Bad sales are based on half truths and inferences. It seems that you may prefer the later and justify that type by your precised volume. When in fact the former would generate a higher volume unless the value is just not there. The philosophy of "do anything to make a sale" and "any sale is a good sale" is based on ethics.

    I have pulled some excerpts from your postings from which offers some insight into the original posting and subsequent direction of the thread. It is disheartening for what seems your intent and purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    . You knew the answer, but how else were we supposed to get this thread over 1,000 views?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    .....The small mindedness never ceases! Do you see my ads all over this site? How exactly am I getting free advertising out of this?
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry;207934....
    No worries, it's incredibly entertaining! I don't take anything personally.
    [quote=Nathan Thornberry;207941].....No matter what I put down as my experience level, you will undoubtedly treat it just as fairly as you've treated everything else I've said, and no one reading your posts thinks you are reasonable in your approach. After I post at least one website with my bio on it, the only response was from you and one other dude saying it was overblown or untrue- ,,,,,,,,

    ...but I'm not going to go through my entire bio here for you to criticize Ken. .....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    ....You asked people to purchase and review the book. Don't you agree that part of reviewing a non fictional self help book would be verifying the authors credentials...expertise in the field? .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    ..... I think the problem with these credentials you're looking for is that the bar may very well be invisible or non-existent or higher than exists, and for others they need to hear something that relates to them- so it's a lose-lose proposition. .........
    The last quote is shows a lack of simple understand that there is no bar being set. You may be apprehensive to be graded by others on your background or how you state your background. Simple questions, but without real answers other than seemingly having a fear of a potential negative response or actual scrutiny for truthfulness....

    The underlying issue is that you have reservations, insecurity, on the book being judged by your background. So you deflect the questions on background. You can not have it booth ways. You can not present your self and at the same time say do not look at the author. The book is portrayed as a business tool based on experiences. It is fair to look at what made up those experiences to accentuate the proposed concepts.

    There are two ways to go
    Believe and you will understand . or
    Understand and you will believe.
    The latter is a thinking approach. Which you seem to fear.

    But the bottom line is that your goal was not to substantiate but to promulgate. Which is lame, but you have been successful. If that is your measure of success.

    Do not misconstrue being truthful and honest as argumentative and negative. Take it a constructive criticism.


  11. #141
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Well all this daily discussion has peaked my interest. Just ordered the book, figured it will be something to read on my five hour flight to Vegas conference. And, maybe I will pick up some tips on inproving my cash flow.

    Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

  12. #142
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Melbourne View Post
    Well all this daily discussion has peaked my interest. Just ordered the book, figured it will be something to read on my five hour flight to Vegas conference. And, maybe I will pick up some tips on inproving my cash flow.
    LOL.. That was Nathans intent. He is succeding in selling his book. Nobody ever heard of his book until he made his post.
    If I do free advertizing and sell a few items, I'll take a verbal beating over no sales at all everyday.
    I have to wonder if this is one of his marketing suggestions in the book
    If not maybe he should write a second book and include it., along with some of the crap his mentor NG suggests.

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  13. #143
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    LOL.. That was Nathans intent. He is succeding in selling his book. Nobody ever heard of his book until he made his post.
    If I do free advertizing and sell a few items, I'll take a verbal beating over no sales at all everyday.
    I have to wonder if this is one of his marketing suggestions in the book
    If not maybe he should write a second book and include it., along with some of the crap his mentor NG suggests.
    If you need the second book you have not read the first one is my guess.
    Going to start reading it sometime today.

    Nicks suggestions defiantly work and like all large groups of ideas simply need to be Cherry picked to suit personal business models.

    NACHI is not a Charity and neither are Nathans services therefore if you get something out of it so do they which is the basis of capitalism.


  14. #144
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    About a third of the way through and am highlighting along the way.
    Seems to get better as it goes.

    Yes there is a "Nathans Services" rocks message but it is also very thought provoking and I will be taking a bigger picture look at my own service as a result of all the ideas swirling around my head so far.

    Nothing new I have not actually heard before but is inspiring to a certain extent.

    Last edited by Bob Elliott; 09-27-2012 at 09:05 PM.

  15. #145
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,090

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    guys

    read the flaming book if you want. my business is great--every month is better then the last month last year and the two before. so i prefer to read books on codes and lastest inspection education to help my self and clients. this is a stupid thread and you should be writing an inspection report instead of a 200 letter rebuttal--

    get real all


  16. #146
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    guys

    read the flaming book if you want. my business is great--every month is better then the last month last year and the two before. so i prefer to read books on codes and lastest inspection education to help my self and clients. this is a stupid thread and you should be writing an inspection report instead of a 200 letter rebuttal--

    get real all
    A stupid comment on a stupid thread. That's fitting.


  17. #147
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,090

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    what ever hank=at least you didn't write 300 words-thanks -guess like me you haven,t read the 300 word rants above or have you? it's old, such a waste of educational time that is forum is all about.

    don,t need the book-need more golf time--busy busy busy--how about you??
    again better tech education is my way to go on this web instead of- i can make you a better inspector. don't need it this is a stupid thread- agree or not hank--it has gone on to long--just saying ---lets write some helpful threads--either buy the book or don,t buy it--move on everyone --do you need the book Hank--if so read it and let the rest of this forum know how it helped you --sure they will reply in 300 words or more

    cvf



    cvf


  18. #148
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    guys

    read the flaming book if you want. my business is great--every month is better then the last month last year and the two before. so i prefer to read books on codes and lastest inspection education to help my self and clients. this is a stupid thread and you should be writing an inspection report instead of a 200 letter rebuttal--

    get real all
    Interesting ,as you took the time to get mad at a book you never read.
    What is your motivation?

    The whole point of the book is simply doing a great job inspecting is not superior marketing as most of us that have been around are all pretty much good at what we do .

    The point of the book is making money which most certainly is a good subject for those of us not doing it for charity or as a retirement supplement as some here are.

    Still reading and will finish it tomorrow.
    Reading and learning business or marketing are never a waste of time.


  19. #149
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Nice job Nathan! Very good book promotion and marketing! This forum will get you as much exposure as a segment on O'Reilly! I'll bet your sales have quadrupled!


    END GLOBAL WHINING

  20. #150

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Nice job Nathan! Very good book promotion and marketing! This forum will get you as much exposure as a segment on O'Reilly! I'll bet your sales have quadrupled!
    True, though every book I sell costs me money...but it's worth it!

    It's interesting to watch how inspectors react to just the word "marketing". It's almost forbidden in a technician's vocabulary, and it's a shame, because I'm pretty sure even the least pleasant personalities on this MB are really good at what they do- no matter what they say to me I want them to do what they do for more home buyers.


  21. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    True, though every book I sell costs me money...but it's worth it!

    It's interesting to watch how inspectors react to just the word "marketing". It's almost forbidden in a technician's vocabulary, and it's a shame, because I'm pretty sure even the least pleasant personalities on this MB are really good at what they do- no matter what they say to me I want them to do what they do for more home buyers.
    What a load of crap. Nathans here telling us we need to buy his book to make more money. Then he claims out of the goodness of his heart he's loosing money selling the book to us..

    Yooo Nathan .. You think we are stupid enough to believe your crap?
    If so, read your dang marketing book and make money, or are you playing the same game NG/aka lisa plays when he/she says everthing he offers is FREE on this site to get more hits to scam us by his selling other crap. ?

    Business tip .. go to this site Booklet - GotPrint

    they will print you 5000-96 pg books for less than $2.00 a book ..

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  22. #152

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    What a load of crap. Nathans here telling us we need to buy his book to make more money. Then he claims out of the goodness of his heart he's loosing money selling the book to us..

    Yooo Nathan .. You think we are stupid enough to believe your crap?
    If so, read your dang marketing book and make money, or are you playing the same game NG/aka lisa plays when he/she says everthing he offers is FREE on this site to get more hits to scam us by his selling other crap. ?

    Business tip .. go to this site Booklet - GotPrint

    they will print you 5000-96 pg books for less than $2.00 a book ..
    If you want to print a cheap book, go right ahead. This is premium printing and just over 200 pages...but there's much more cost that goes into a book than printing it if you do it right. ISBN numbers, UPC's, a ton of design and layout time, a professional editor, shipping on an 18-wheeler, repackaging and distribution...it's a lot of work.

    There's a 3-part audio CD as well by the way.


  23. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    True, though every book I sell costs me money...but it's worth it!
    .
    Woow, I feel honored, with out requesting it, Nathan send me a free book and he even paid $4.90 for the postage.

    When I opened the package my 1st thought was dang, ole Nathan is using the method used by the Mormans and 7 day adventist to spread their word/ book.

    I guess since I was blessed to recieve his "book" i'll take the time to read it over the hoilidays and post my review.

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  24. #154

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Woow, I feel honored, with out requesting it, Nathan send me a free book and he even paid $4.90 for the postage.

    When I opened the package my 1st thought was dang, ole Nathan is using the method used by the Mormans and 7 day adventist to spread their word/ book.

    I guess since I was blessed to recieve his "book" i'll take the time to read it over the hoilidays and post my review.
    I was calculating...I mean "selective" in my methods...Enjoy!


  25. #155
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    I was calculating...I mean "selective" in my methods...Enjoy!
    Well heres my review on what I got out of of Ch 1

    Nathan stuck his finger in a light bulb socket and got shocked when he was 6, he claims he's been shocked many times , but something about that first time was just really exciting.

    His parents, well his mom specifically, fired him not once , not twice but a total of three times

    Nathon figured out he likes eating steak and wants us to be like him and will be hungry for more


    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  26. #156

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Well heres my review on what I got out of of Ch 1

    Nathan stuck his finger in a light bulb socket and got shocked when he was 6, he claims he's been shocked many times , but something about that first time was just really exciting.

    His parents, well his mom specifically, fired him not once , not twice but a total of three times

    Nathon figured out he likes eating steak and wants us to be like him and will be hungry for more
    You might consider summarizing sometime after chapter 6, but kudos for starting already! It's a quick read- you'll be done in two hours.


  27. #157
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,778

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Dan,
    Didn't you see the memo attached to the book on how to review it?


  28. #158
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Dan,
    Didn't you see the memo attached to the book on how to review it?
    I think he forgot that part.

    My overall review.
    Considering he was kind enough to send the book at no charge I'll be respectful
    Over all I guess the information/stories provided could be useful to newbys that are starting out with out any prior business experience, and are desperate to get an inspection by what ever way it takes.

    From reading the contribuations from some of the multi inspection company guys, M Crow, Gromiko, and a coupe others, it looks like their, and Nates focus is marketing to get a new customer everytime, via offering freebies and kissing up to realtors.

    It looks like most of the information provided most think like Gromiko, in his statment provided in the book.
    " There is almost no salesmanship involved in the home inspection business, Success relies solely on marketing. "
    I guess with that theory some believe we are better off treating our HI business like a used car sales lot or a pizza business opposed to selling ourselves , our knowledge and our experience.

    I may of missed it .
    I did not see any reference, or suggestions about the importance of cont. ed. hanging out with other inspectors, locally or nationaly, and providing a professional service to get referrals from your existing customers.
    I did see the suggestion if you screw up, admit it and correct it.

    Apx 60% of the book focuses on making your business grow, mostly by marketing to realtors and hiring employes to do the work, and by giving his products away for free. 30% focuses on upselling to make more per inspection and 5% taking care of our existing customers

    The other 5% of the book I don't have a clue what he was talking about, he may of stuck his finger in another light socket when he wrote that stuff.

    As one thats owned two other business's and had employees for over 20 years, the information provided reminds me why I no longer want employees and why I'm glad to be a 1 man shop, and am happy with my small piece of the pie.

    Over all I'll give it a 5-6 for newbys, experienced guys a 2-3


    I'll make sure to attend his presenation at IW and see if that changes my mind.

    **

    Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-22-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  29. #159
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,778

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Dan,
    Interesting review.
    Had the feeling it was more about selling a product and nothing about the quality of the product. Adding fluff to make the product seem larger and better than it really is to gain sale numbers at any cost to personal integrity, ethics and morals. Something like painting the hooves of the pig to make it prettier not better.

    Had the thought come to mind that the reason that he sent you a free book was due to the lack of noise about it. Not really interested in a review just to generate some noise, site view #s. More Marketing.........go figure. Makeing you part of his marketing model.


  30. #160
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Dan,

    Had the thought come to mind that the reason that he sent you a free book was due to the lack of noise about it. Not really interested in a review just to generate some noise, site view #s. More Marketing.........go figure. Makeing you part of his marketing model.
    I had the same thought. Despite that, since he sent me the book at no charge, and since he does pay to bring this site to us for free I took the time to see what it was all about and tried to be neutral .
    He did take a lot of time to do the book and I really believe he's proud of his product, and believes in the way he thinks our HI business should be run.

    He does have a few lines about marketing to realtors that would make Ted proud
    To help delay additional negitave comments, which commonly bring the most hits I left them out.

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  31. #161
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    I had the same thought. Despite that, since he sent me the book at no charge, and since he does pay to bring this site to us for free I took the time to see what it was all about and tried to be neutral .
    He did take a lot of time to do the book and I really believe he's proud of his product, and believes in the way he thinks our HI business should be run.

    He does have a few lines about marketing to realtors that would make Ted proud
    To help delay additional negitave comments, which commonly bring the most hits I left them out.
    I watched a few videos. I got the drift on who it is that one is suppose to impress.

    I am trying to be real nice about attacking folks and this whole Realtors thing as of late. I know it gets old. I have also said on many of occasions on here and in the real world that if one truely wants to make a serious amount of money they do need to market the hell out of, kiss the shaded side of, smile to, kiss up to, act like you like even though you don't........Realtors.

    It is not that you don't like them because I have met a lot of Realtors that I do like. It is just the entire concept and controversy of and that nasty little thing called getting most of you direct work from the direct referrals from folks that are hanging in the wings waiting to make thousands on a sale of a proerty you are inspecting. Now that is whether you are the most honest upright inspector or the lowest form of being....there is still that shadowed question on every single buyers mind even if they use that realtors direct referral and actually thought the inspector was fantastic.

    Is there some kind of ethics issue we should be concerned with darling?????? Shouldn't we just find our own inspector................Oh, I know, lets call Ted and that's how I get all my work.

    Have a wonderful Christmas gentlemen (and those that are not) and a very happy and prosperous New Year.

    I love you all to pieces.


  32. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,778

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    To help delay additional negitave comments, which commonly bring the most hits I left them out.
    Chicken....bac...bac...bac..bac...


  33. #163

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    See you at the presentation, Dan. I hope you enjoy it!

    There were a select few inspectors I sent the book to, and I had criteria for that. It wasn't necessarily people that would put things in a positive light- and if you read Dan's review where he gave me a 2/3 (I'm assuming out of 5 ) for experienced home inspectors, he couldn't help but point to some positive attributes. It basically went...

    Good thing, not so good thing, good thing, I don't even know about this other thing, and I don't know if I want to run a business in the way prescribed (in Dan's case because he had been there before).

    I give your review a "10" (out of 10).

    See you in Vegas.


  34. #164
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    I would like to know about inspectors subscribing to such things as Alarm Referrals for example.

    From what I understand, an inspector can recommend an alarm program to his client. If the client chooses to have an alarm installed as referred to by the inspector how does the alarm company reward the inspector?


  35. #165

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I would like to know about inspectors subscribing to such things as Alarm Referrals for example.

    From what I understand, an inspector can recommend an alarm program to his client. If the client chooses to have an alarm installed as referred to by the inspector how does the alarm company reward the inspector?
    Go to Alarm Leads | Inspector Services Group and watch the video. We have several options.

    It's important to note that not all options are supported by all inspector organizations and there are states where some of the variations of the program are frowned upon, so before we sign anyone up we go through that.

    Most inspectors as a result go on one of the programs that is NOT dependent on an install- which ASHI, CAHPI, NAHI, and InterNACHI (as well as the state/regional orgs) see as unethical. Inspectors usually go on either a program that offers free products/services or a per lead fee not dependent on installs.

    TREC is probably the toughest to get through, and they've specifically told inspectors that our programs that are not dependent on installs are okay.


  36. #166
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: Need book reviewers!

    O.K. After seeing this thread pop up again, a few days ago, I decided to read the book... plus I have an interest in marketing as it was almost my minor in college. I only have the book, no CD's so no comment on those. I have no interest if you buy the book or not, this is just my opinion on it.

    Other's have done a good job of reviewing the book, so I will try it from a different angle.

    A lot of the posts wanted to know about Nathan's technical background, and to be honest is not a needed attribute to offer marketing advice. I remember writing an marketing campaign for the Minivan in college and I have no idea how to build a minivan. My job "project" was how to sell it to the masses, so I had to find the benefits of this van over others and standard options this one had that others didn't offer, a way to stand above the crowd.

    This is basically the point of the book. It basically says to find ways to separate yourself from the crowd. In goes into the generics of how most inspectors, if not all, say they provide thorough inspections and provide a report. He goes into what you can do to make yourself stand out. He cover things from how to answer the phone to how to present the report and talking to clients.

    He provides the classic Domino's Pizza example and that I will expand on. All pizza places had fresh, hot pizza, but Domino's slogan was the first to market "Fresh, hot pizza delivered in 30 minutes, or it's FREE". Domino's found a way to separate themselves from the crowd, and had to do it again years later. That simple sentence made millions, and notice there is nothing about having the best pizza in that slogan or even if it was good pizza. Same as inspectors, not everyone can be the best, it's impossible. If you have 100 inspectors in one room someone is the top guy, maybe the top 5 are equal, and are considered the experts, and then it drops from there, just the facts of math.

    As far as recommending this book...

    If you think you would be open to new ideas, marketing interests you, and you want to grow your business I would recommend this book, along with many other books out there. However, this book is written towards the building inspector and from that stand point is more of an interesting read and flows well.

    The one interesting thing to note is that he never once said anything about providing inadequate inspections to look good to the real estate agents. In fact, he talks about providing excellent client service to ensure repeat work and referrals.

    Again, he is simply offering other ways to grow and market yourself/company and talks about the difference between those two and how each way is fine.

    Now for the spoiler alert... you can learn everything in this book for free... heck I knew most of it, but again I have an interest in marketing, but I forgot some of it too, so it was nice as a refresher to relearn things forgotten. But, you will spend a lot of time finding the free information when he has condensed what you need into a book meant for inspectors. Yes, he does offer other services to help grow your business, but they are not needed and are not forced on you, nor do you have to offer them. If anything, it helps to provide examples of how to stand out from the crowd.

    Michael Jordan, may have been the best player in basketball, but still had a coach and talked to other players about how to improve his game...


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •