Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: New website!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delmar NY
    Posts
    157

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by David OKeefe View Post
    Building a new site and looking for some feedback. Let me know what you think.
    HouseAbout Home Inspections LLC - Home Page

    Thanks

    Error 500 - Internal server error

    An internal server error has occured!
    Please try again later.

    I think it needs some work.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: New website!

    Hi David,

    Your website is very nice, I like your "call" widget. I did fell that your "About Me" page gave me the feeling that it was more about the organization you belong to than about you.

    Just my opinion.

    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delmar NY
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    Hi David,

    Your website is very nice, I like your "call" widget. I did fell that your "About Me" page gave me the feeling that it was more about the organization you belong to than about you.

    Just my opinion.
    No problem Steve, that's what I'm looking for, opinions. I'll take a second look at it. Thanks

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Error 500 - Internal server error

    An internal server error has occured!
    Please try again later.

    I think it needs some work.
    Ken, Not sure why you got an error code? Link works for me.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: New website!

    I agree with Steve... Talk more about David and who David is and less about your association. Folks want to know about you and not your organization. Make it more of a professional bio and it will read better.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: New website!

    I like the cartoons. Nice touch.

    Also congratulations for putting your name out front. Many inspectors omit that on their sites.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    333

    Default Re: New website!

    Your website bio mentions "retiring from New York State." State what? Why not mention what your occupation was, stating what you did in specifics that would lend credence to your background and experience, and how that all ties in to make you a better home inspector than the next guy? To not even say what division of New York State your worked for (I presume government, yes, or was it a University?), implies that you are for some reason ashamed of what you did for a living for 27 years.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: New website!

    right on...

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Downstate NY
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: New website!

    Well, looking as a user, a shopper, not a providor, I'd rethink the (me) aspect.

    I'd probably say, "As a well-trained inspector I can help prevent..."

    Presents a more positive, even assertive review of self, but not as folksie.

    And while the cartoon is cute, it focuses on a mistake being made. Around here might be acceptable, but on a "selling" page... got no room for'em, I'd think.

    Stan


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delmar NY
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: New website!

    Thanks Stan, good points. I'll change it.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: New website!

    Hi, David. I did see the word "preformed" on your home page - I think you're looking for "performed". I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar in a professional presentation.

    Also, just a suggestion, you might want to look at 1&1 Internet's website tool/hosting. I am in the process of upgrading my website from a Vistaprint "cookie cutter" website to their website tool. Yes, they are also considered "cookie cutter" but in my opinion a much higher grade and the basic package is not very expensive at all. The new website is going to look at least 100% better than the old one, and even without a lot of creative talent, I am able to produce (and change at will) the website. I'm really sold on it and their customer service is great.

    To be honest, I hate the marketing side of this business (and all other businesses) so I tend to agonize over what my image looks like but then not do a very good job - so far I've not been very smart and just threw some stuff out there, but recently I enlisted a marketing firm to "brand" my company and make up some brochures that really will look professional - and I was surprised at the affordable couple of hundred dollar cost for them to do this.

    Good luck with your company - I love home inspecting and ever since I left the IT world and became an HI, I've "never worked a day yet".

    Best,
    Russell Poe
    Best 1 Home Inspection


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    sellersburg, in. work in lou, ky.
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: New website!

    It says you inspect "heeting" and cooling systems..? Is that the heet for your back?


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delmar NY
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Poe View Post
    Hi, David. I did see the word "preformed" on your home page - I think you're looking for "performed". I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar in a professional presentation.

    Also, just a suggestion, you might want to look at 1&1 Internet's website tool/hosting. I am in the process of upgrading my website from a Vistaprint "cookie cutter" website to their website tool. Yes, they are also considered "cookie cutter" but in my opinion a much higher grade and the basic package is not very expensive at all. The new website is going to look at least 100% better than the old one, and even without a lot of creative talent, I am able to produce (and change at will) the website. I'm really sold on it and their customer service is great.

    To be honest, I hate the marketing side of this business (and all other businesses) so I tend to agonize over what my image looks like but then not do a very good job - so far I've not been very smart and just threw some stuff out there, but recently I enlisted a marketing firm to "brand" my company and make up some brochures that really will look professional - and I was surprised at the affordable couple of hundred dollar cost for them to do this.

    Good luck with your company - I love home inspecting and ever since I left the IT world and became an HI, I've "never worked a day yet".

    Best,
    Russell Poe
    Best 1 Home Inspection
    Thanks Russell, found the spelling error and it is fixed. Actually, this is a 1 and 1 website. I too upgraded to this host. Much easier to work with and able to contact them 24/7.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny martin View Post
    It says you inspect "heeting" and cooling systems..? Is that the heet for your back?
    Fixed, thanks.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: New website!

    HouseAbout Home Inspections LLC - David O'Keefe

    (above your picture): "Pleas Call (518)"..."to Schedule" (missing silent E in PleasE)

    HouseAbout Home Inspections LLC - Qualifactions

    ( Left of Certificate of Membership) "David O'keefe, Capital District's Premier home inspector, inspecting homes from Hudson to Saratogoand all places in between, has been a member in good standing of...

    (No transcript link above, BTW.) Missing capital "K" in O'Keefe; why is "premier" capitalized in two places? and isn't it Saratoga (as in SaratogA Springs, NY, SaratogA county, NY)???

    I h8 repetative cut and pastes (esp. if I repeat myself -- which I do often short term memory issues, and compromised typing skills - post strokeS, and now cancer in the noggin), as do MOST ad content readers - who are not nearly as patient to read through a host of repeative superlatives. You've repeated the same description of yourself and same content (phrases, run-on sentances) only changing names of towns (why not Hudson Falls? Queensbury? Single County?) Why are these wordy phrases inserted as descriptions here for your "credentials"? they are repeated (often) elsewhere?

    I got tired of reading the redunancy seen on so many I-Nachi members pages, I quit after the third or forth page viewed. Too much about an organization, nothing about yourself and what makes YOU PERSONALLY stand out, other than your access to an internet forum and calling yourself "Premier" (with a capital P) home inspector (lower case) and being a local chapter VP third year in the biz and since then. What is THAT all about?

    Set up formatting to switch to mirrored /m (mobile) pages sensing browser platform hit: relying on FLASH for even partial content and full-blown browsers with latest JAVA for viewing/layout formation is going to knock out the smart-phone, tablet and apple platform users - and that's a BIG chunk of your investors & home buyers as well as agents, as well as couples with slightly older computers, saving their money on "toys" to make a purchase! Your layout doesn't correct for same and shows huge voids requiring mega scrolling of which the average mobile/tab/etc. user won't scroll that far for. Also recommend YELP and other applets interfacing its NOT ALL facebook that gets the "job"/"service" sold...but what do I know,
    Kill the counter display - it hurts displaying low hits and doesn't have to 'show' to the gen pop.

    I'm an old f*rt who's far and away behind the technology. Blows me away seeing "Angie" of Angie's List commercials lately bragging about 2 million subscribers...that's diddly in market share and saturation for 48-states...hmmm, catch my drift (or am I 'floating off again?)?

    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-25-2013 at 10:11 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delmar NY
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    HouseAbout Home Inspections LLC - David O'Keefe

    (above your picture): "Pleas Call (518)"..."to Schedule" (missing silent E in PleasE)

    HouseAbout Home Inspections LLC - Qualifactions

    ( Left of Certificate of Membership) "David O'keefe, Capital District's Premier home inspector, inspecting homes from Hudson to Saratogoand all places in between, has been a member in good standing of...

    (No transcript link above, BTW.) Missing capital "K" in O'Keefe; why is "premier" capitalized in two places? and isn't it Saratoga (as in SaratogA Springs, NY, SaratogA county, NY)???

    I h8 repetative cut and pastes (esp. if I repeat myself -- which I do often short term memory issues, and compromised typing skills - post strokeS, and now cancer in the noggin), as do MOST ad content readers - who are not nearly as patient to read through a host of repeative superlatives. You've repeated the same description of yourself and same content (phrases, run-on sentances) only changing names of towns (why not Hudson Falls? Queensbury? Single County?) Why are these wordy phrases inserted as descriptions here for your "credentials"? they are repeated (often) elsewhere?

    I got tired of reading the redunancy seen on so many I-Nachi members pages, I quit after the third or forth page viewed. Too much about an organization, nothing about yourself and what makes YOU PERSONALLY stand out, other than your access to an internet forum and calling yourself "Premier" (with a capital P) home inspector (lower case) and being a local chapter VP third year in the biz and since then. What is THAT all about?

    Set up formatting to switch to mirrored /m (mobile) pages sensing browser platform hit: relying on FLASH for even partial content and full-blown browsers with latest JAVA for viewing/layout formation is going to knock out the smart-phone, tablet and apple platform users - and that's a BIG chunk of your investors & home buyers as well as agents, as well as couples with slightly older computers, saving their money on "toys" to make a purchase! Your layout doesn't correct for same and shows huge voids requiring mega scrolling of which the average mobile/tab/etc. user won't scroll that far for. Also recommend YELP and other applets interfacing its NOT ALL facebook that gets the "job"/"service" sold...but what do I know,
    Kill the counter display - it hurts displaying low hits and doesn't have to 'show' to the gen pop.

    I'm an old f*rt who's far and away behind the technology. Blows me away seeing "Angie" of Angie's List commercials lately bragging about 2 million subscribers...that's diddly in market share and saturation for 48-states...hmmm, catch my drift (or am I 'floating off again?)?
    Thanks for the reply. This is why I posted. Looking for some feedback and ideas on improving my site. You actually read through 3-4 pages? I'll fix the spelling arros and look into how it looks on the mobile devices. Thanks again.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    333

    Default Re: New website!

    And then maybe really think outside of the box, and tell everyone what you learned while scrubbing urinals at the New York State Penitentiary at Sing Sing for 27 years.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delmar NY
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    And then maybe really think outside of the box, and tell everyone what you learned while scrubbing urinals at the New York State Penitentiary at Sing Sing for 27 years.
    Don't quite have it right. And not sure why you care what I did?

    Last edited by David OKeefe; 06-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    sellersburg, in. work in lou, ky.
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: New website!

    I'm not too "sue" either!? But looking at your reports they seem better than the average inspectors I've seen.. so if you learned it by scrubbing urinals maybe you should open a school!?


  19. #19
    Andrew Kling's Avatar
    Andrew Kling Guest

    Default Re: New website!

    Your website is okay for now, but honestly you need to seriously think about having a professional make a website for you, I'm not talking about the kid down the block or whatever either.

    I find the cartoon a little stupid personally and although it might be humorous, though it isn't appropriate on a professional business website.

    Your website needs a cleaner appearance, stick with a white background with black lettering. You want it to be easy to read and not busy. Your on the right track with the menu bar on the Left, though I'd suggest that you BOLD vs BOLD the items on it. Making them easier to find, especially if someone is searching your site on a smart phone.

    Have a photo of not just yourself but you family, all wearing corporate apparel, show that your a family company, not just a fly by night guy that's looking for money. A higher resolution photo for your main photo would be nice as well.


    Also, Add your tagline to your "More than a House, A Home" to your logo on your website, also your shirts, business cards, etc. To create Unity, to show that you are a professional.

    Inspection Services and testing offered should have it's own webpage, I find the titles for each of the sections under that tend to blend together.


    I'm not a fan of the Angies list tab on the left either, that's not you though. It's the fact that if I click on it, which I did, I can't look you up, instead I'm asked to pay to see listings in my area. So it tells me nothing on you.


    I'm very sorry if you found what I have to say to be overly critical, but it's very important for you to get such a major marketing opportunity right on the first try. And it is marketing, so don't forget to write it off.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Montana, Washington
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by David OKeefe View Post
    Building a new site and looking for some feedback. Let me know what you think.
    HouseAbout Home Inspections LLC - Home Page

    Thanks
    Hi David,

    Thanks for inviting us to look over your website and for being such a good sport and accepting constructive criticism.
    My input would be that you only have a few seconds to impress a website visitor. Your page is definitely comprehensive, there is lots of valuable information on it. My comment would be that your Home Page is too busy/cluttered. You have different fonts, lots of flashy images and it is distracting. Of course, mine is not perfect either and I would be obliged if you would take a look and be sure to be blunt: like yourself, the aim is to improve the website.

    I would also lower the banner which contains your business name, to allow viewers to look at the pictures. On the other hand, I am aware of the difficulties with changes— some web hosting companies are very restrictive. Did you build this yourself? Hats off if you did, I certainly understand how difficult it can be if you're not IT literate. I should know!

    Best regards,

    Gia
    Old Country Home Inspections
    www.oldcountryhomeinspections.com


  21. #21

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by David OKeefe View Post
    Building a new site and looking for some feedback. Let me know what you think.
    HouseAbout Home Inspections LLC - Home Page

    Thanks
    Looks great. Some of your outbound links don't work which will hurt your SEO.

    www.WiseHomeInspectionsFL.com


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: New website!

    I pretended I was a consumer and I couldn't find a single reason to stop looking for a home inspector and hire you. Not one. Stock photos and something about being thorough. Snooze.

    To covert visitors of your homepage into scheduled inspections you have to give the consumer something amazing.

    How about this www.nachi.org/buy

    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MONTREAL QUEBEC-CANADA
    Posts
    1,840

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by David OKeefe View Post
    Don't quite have it right. And not sure why you care what I did?
    David, just my 2 cents.
    KISS. Keep it simple student.
    This MB is more about the art of conversation with astute industry professionals.
    Although I do understand where you stand as a business model, from my viewpoint, this MB is to help developed ones defect recognition skills, narratives and communications.
    Wise is not about what you look like, its about what you see and how you communicate.

    Wishing you much success.
    Robert.
    Be kind ever one. We all start somewhere.

    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MONTREAL QUEBEC-CANADA
    Posts
    1,840

    Default Re: New website!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    I pretended I was a consumer and I couldn't find a single reason to stop looking for a home inspector and hire you. Not one. Stock photos and something about being thorough. Snooze.

    To covert visitors of your homepage into scheduled inspections you have to give the consumer something amazing.

    How about this www.nachi.org/buy
    Lisa, for how he looks, I concur.
    InterNACHI has the best free tools to help him polish a great visual campaign.
    You need to start with a three prong approach. Logo, Business cards, brochures.
    http://marketing.nachi.org/

    Then let HomeGuage build you a website. Free stuff!
    https://www.homegauge.com/inspector/...-websites.html

    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •