Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Joe Billman's Avatar
    Joe Billman Guest

    Default Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    The new (1 Feb 2009) Texas SOP Requires the inspector to report: (F) appliances and metal pipes that are not bonded or grounded;
    Any suggestions on how to comply with this?

    Similar Threads:
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billman View Post
    The new (1 Feb 2009) Texas SOP Requires the inspector to report: (F) appliances and metal pipes that are not bonded or grounded;
    Any suggestions on how to comply with this?
    .

    Use either an ohm meter or a continuity checker to test between the appliances/pipes and a 'known ground' (a 'suspected ground' would be good enough, because if the 'suspected ground' was supposed to be grounded - the reason you considered it a 'suspected ground' - and was not, you have just found another problem), the ohm meter should read very low resistance between, and the continuity checker would indicate continuity between, the appliance/pipe and the 'known ground'.

    If not, write it up.

    Also, with appliances, if they are not grounded, a voltage sniffer will pick that up as an energized surface. I've found many non-grounded ranges and refrigerators that way, and they were on grounded circuits.

    I don't recall if the old style wiring of grounding the washer/dryer to neutral would indicate 'grounded' or 'not grounded'?? But newer (since about 1993) washers/dryers should have been wired with a separate ground.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    I would hope that all inspectors, even those in TX would have been doing this in their normal inspection anyway.

    I would (and I do) simply report that ____ is or is not grounded and that they plumbing is bonded or not bonded. It really should not be that big of a hurdle.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  4. #4
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billman View Post
    The new (1 Feb 2009) Texas SOP Requires the inspector to report: (F) appliances and metal pipes that are not bonded or grounded;
    Any suggestions on how to comply with this?
    Joe: Remember that the Texas SOP requires a visual inspection withouth the use of special tools. Report what you see and disclaim what you cannot.

    Aaron


  5. #5
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Joe: Remember that the Texas SOP requires a visual inspection withouth the use of special tools. Report what you see and disclaim what you cannot.

    Aaron

    So, no specialty tools. So it is all visual. Any tool can be concidered a specialty tool. So I guess if the dryer is not there you just report what, a three prong or 4 prong receptacle?

    And PEX piping, no ground, so OK?

    Oh yes, I do use the voltage sniffer thingy. That is a specialty tool so I better throw that away


  6. #6
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    So, no specialty tools. So it is all visual. Any tool can be concidered a specialty tool. So I guess if the dryer is not there you just report what, a three prong or 4 prong receptacle?

    And PEX piping, no ground, so OK?

    Oh yes, I do use the voltage sniffer thingy. That is a specialty tool so I better throw that away
    Ted: Actually, that is not correct. The SOP defines it thusly:

    (9) Specialized tools--Tools such as
    thermal imaging equipment, moisture meters,
    gas leak detection equipment, environmental
    testing equipment and devices, elevation
    determination devices, and ladders capable of
    reaching surfaces over one story above ground
    surfaces.

    So then, not just any tools is a specialized tool, according to the TREC.

    You are not required to report the presence or absence of a clothes dryer receptacle. You are required to report only these issues reqgarding receptacles:

    (C) receptacles that:
    (i) are damaged;
    (ii) are inoperative;
    (iii) have incorrect polarity;
    (iv) are not grounded, if
    applicable;
    (v) display evidence of arcing or
    excessive heat;
    (vi) are not securely mounted; or
    (vii) have missing or damaged
    covers

    PEX is plastic and cannot serve as a ground. You are required to report:

    (2) the lack of a grounding electrode
    system;
    (3) the lack of a grounding electrode
    conductor;
    (4) the lack of a secure connection to
    the grounding electrode system;

    As for the "voltage sniffer", who knows? If it costs over $300, throw it my way.

    Aaron



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Ted: Actually, that is not correct. The SOP defines it thusly:

    (9) Specialized tools--Tools such as
    thermal imaging equipment, moisture meters,
    gas leak detection equipment, environmental
    testing equipment and devices, elevation
    determination devices, and ladders capable of
    reaching surfaces over one story above ground
    surfaces.


    So then, not just any tools is a specialized tool, according to the TREC.
    .

    "So then, not just any tools is a specialized tool, according to the TREC."

    Actually, that may not be correct either.

    What is included in the TREC definition of "Non-specialized tools"?

    I know ... TREC does not define "non-specialized tools" ... am I right?

    Thus, ANY TOOL *YOU* deem to be a "specialized tool" fits in that definition BECAUSE they said "such as" and ONLY GAVE a few examples.

    To me, those were examples of "testing equipment".

    The only tool which could be inferred to be a "non-specialized tool" by that list would be a ladder which is just long enough to reach 6 feet up, such as a 6 foot step ladder, and shorter ladders.

    "and ladders capable of reaching surfaces over one story above ground surfaces"

    Is not "the roof" a "surface" and thus a "surface over one story above ground"?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  8. #8
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    .

    "So then, not just any tools is a specialized tool, according to the TREC."

    Actually, that may not be correct either.

    What is included in the TREC definition of "Non-specialized tools"?

    I know ... TREC does not define "non-specialized tools" ... am I right?

    Thus, ANY TOOL *YOU* deem to be a "specialized tool" fits in that definition BECAUSE they said "such as" and ONLY GAVE a few examples.

    To me, those were examples of "testing equipment".

    The only tool which could be inferred to be a "non-specialized tool" by that list would be a ladder which is just long enough to reach 6 feet up, such as a 6 foot step ladder, and shorter ladders.

    "and ladders capable of reaching surfaces over one story above ground surfaces"

    Is not "the roof" a "surface" and thus a "surface over one story above ground"?
    JP: Down, boy! I didn't write this POS SOP. I simply have to adhere to it. Read the whole thing if you really want a mind - - - -. This is exactly what one would expect to come from a group of bureaucratic attorneys and politically motivated brokers.

    Not that this is the origin of this fine piece of non-fiction. The TREC would never produce an inferior document such as this. You have my solemn word on it.

    Aaron

    Attached Files Attached Files

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Read the whole thing if you really want a mind - - - -.

    No thank you.

    From the bits and pieces you guys have posted, that thing is so full of holes that Smokey and the Bandit could drive through side-by-side with the pedal to the metal and not have a worry in the world about touching the sides of any of those holes.

    Now, if you guys want me to "review it", my hourly rate is ...

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No thank you.

    From the bits and pieces you guys have posted, that thing is so full of holes that Smokey and the Bandit could drive through side-by-side with the pedal to the metal and not have a worry in the world about touching the sides of any of those holes.

    Now, if you guys want me to "review it", my hourly rate is ...
    JP: No thanks. I won't be the one to underwrite you XKE and wacky-meter experiences.

    I took this photo at a recent training class on the Standards of Practice re-write. . .

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    I took this photo at a recent training class on the Standards of Practice re-write. . .
    You did, I am sure, notice that the little guy is trembling and that the big guy is demanding that the little guy hand over all his cheese, right?

    I don't want *all of your cheese*, just enough to ...

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Joe: Remember that the Texas SOP requires a visual inspection withouth the use of special tools. Report what you see and disclaim what you cannot.

    Aaron
    I don't think that it says you can't use specialized tools, it just says that you are not required to use them.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  13. #13
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Texas SOP-Appliance Grounding and Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I don't think that it says you can't use specialized tools, it just says that you are not required to use them.
    True. You can use anything you want.


    As far as what JP said

    "Smokey and the Bandit could drive through side-by-side with the pedal to the metal and not have a worry in the world about touching the sides of any of those holes."

    Sorry to say, I went out with a girl like that once. Problem is I was hoping as inebriated as I was that I did not touch the sides


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •