Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    574

    Default electric - panel connection

    This panel is fed from adjacent main service equipment off a 50 A breaker.

    As shown in the picture the feed wire (off the 50A breaker in the main service panel) connects to a 100A breaker in this panel.

    Is this a problem? and why.

    Thanks!

    (other problems in the panel also as you can see)

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: electric - panel connection

    Forgot picture

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  3. #3
    Fred Warner's Avatar
    Fred Warner Guest

    Default Re: electric - panel connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    This panel is fed from adjacent main service equipment off a 50 A breaker.

    As shown in the picture the feed wire (off the 50A breaker in the main service panel) connects to a 100A breaker in this panel.

    Is this a problem? and why.

    Thanks!

    (other problems in the panel also as you can see)
    Does the feeder circuit from the main service panel contain 3 or 4 conductors? From what I am able to see from the photo provided, the remote panelboard has the neutral and equipment grounding conductors joined together (electrically connected) by virtue of a metal strap running behind the bus bars. This is a serious violation of the NEC, if so. See the mechanical post on this site for better clarity.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: electric - panel connection

    Top left breaker looks double tapped? The 50 amp breaker protects the wire to the remote panel, I don't see a problem with that.

    Last edited by Vern Heiler; 01-23-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Forgot question.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: electric - panel connection

    Fred,

    Good catch! I didn't see the strap connecting the ground and neutrals.
    It is a 4 wire cable. The ground wire is connected to (faux) ground bar.

    Some other things that I saw that are wrong - double taped breaker, 14 ga wire on 20A breakers, 3 ground wires under terminal screw, 14 ga wire to bathroom and kitchen, loose mounted panel. Just lots of stuff.

    I'm going to write it up as Handyman wiring and safety issue, to be reviewed and repaired by a licensed electrician, now.

    Thanks!


  6. #6
    Fred Warner's Avatar
    Fred Warner Guest

    Default Re: electric - panel connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Fred,

    Good catch! I didn't see the strap connecting the ground and neutrals.
    It is a 4 wire cable. The ground wire is connected to (faux) ground bar.

    Some other things that I saw that are wrong - double taped breaker, 14 ga wire on 20A breakers, 3 ground wires under terminal screw, 14 ga wire to bathroom and kitchen, loose mounted panel. Just lots of stuff.

    I'm going to write it up as Handyman wiring and safety issue, to be reviewed and repaired by a licensed electrician, now.

    Thanks!
    You're welcome. Way to go!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: electric - panel connection

    That's an example of a panel rated "Suitable for use as service equipment ONLY."

    Most are rated "Suitable for use as service equipment."

    Your photo is an excellent example of the difference between the two.

    Also looks like that back-fed main (the upper right breaker) is not installed and mounted correctly. Looks like it is going to fall out.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  8. #8
    Fred Warner's Avatar
    Fred Warner Guest

    Default Re: electric - panel connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That's an example of a panel rated "Suitable for use as service equipment ONLY."

    Most are rated "Suitable for use as service equipment."

    Your photo is an excellent example of the difference between the two.

    Also looks like that back-fed main (the upper right breaker) is not installed and mounted correctly. Looks like it is going to fall out.
    Isn't that white plastic strip on the upper left side across from the back-fed breaker the hold-down kit? Looks like it to me.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: electric - panel connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    Isn't that white plastic strip on the upper left side across from the back-fed breaker the hold-down kit? Looks like it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Also looks like that back-fed main (the upper right breaker) is not installed and mounted correctly. Looks like it is going to fall out.

    Could be, but that does not affect the fact that it "looks like" it is getting ready to fall out and is not in properly on the retaining clip rail side (the right side). See what I am referring to? It looks half off, or maybe even more off than that.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •