Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: SEP rats nest

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default SEP rats nest

    Looks like "east coast" style craftmanship....

    JK of course

    Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Marc M; 01-18-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    I don't know. With all those colors, it seems more like a California hippie type of installation. Can't you just see the rainbow...

    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Wow...you went there. That's funny, true, but still funny.


  4. #4

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    I think the blue wire, forth layer back, sixth one up from the bottom on the lower right is the wrong size. I could be wrong!

    True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,245

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I don't know. With all those colors, it seems more like a California hippie type of installation. Can't you just see the rainbow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    I think the blue wire, forth layer back, sixth one up from the bottom on the lower right is the wrong size. I could be wrong!
    I always thought the 4th layer of the rainbow was green.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Well..., the house was in west Los Angeles. It's kind-of-a mini version of San Fran. There, even the police cars actually have rainbows on the door.


  7. #7
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    This Is what can happen the west coast boys have just smoke some pot and got to thinking about what they were going to need to grow more in moms pot basement...

    From a pot growing house in Calif.

    From the out out out west of Calif.

    Best

    Ron

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Little bit of red sauce and mamma's meat a balls and it will be delicious.

    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Sweet, makes mine look pro...


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Any color but Bare, Green, white or gray are legal for hot wires...
    Granted that was a mess. And should have been in a much larger box.

    I usually only use blue as travelers (light switches, 3ways, etc.) when the whole house is Multi-wire (black & red at the breakers)...

    I'm guessing who ever put that in, was running low on wire, lol.. used everything they had left on their multi-spool.

    Purple is an odd color.
    -- I personally reserve Orange for 3 phase commercial, lol.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,245

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lyons View Post
    And should have been in a much larger box.

    I am not following that ... the panel was in its listed and labeled enclosure from the time it was manufactured, and, had the excess wires been cut off, there would be a lot of space left in that panel.

    Thus it did not need a larger enclosure.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  12. #12
    Richard Abrams's Avatar
    Richard Abrams Guest

    Cool Re: SEP rats nest

    No self respecting rat would live in a mess like this. Obviously box is undersized.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,245

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Abrams View Post
    Obviously box is undersized.
    As I asked Ken, why do you state that?

    The enclosure was designed for a specific number of breakers and the conductors to those breakers, and at the time of testing, listing, labeling and manufacture that would have been the correct size enclosure.

    Which is why I am asking ... WHY? Why do you and Ken say that enclosure is undersized?

    If you are referring to the crowded mess in there, the box is not undersized, the conductors were left excessively long.

    Looking for information on something I am missing in the enclosure being undersized as you two say it is.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    The box appears to be maxed out on breakers and there appear to be more conductors than for that size box. Even if the box were trimmed and clean I'd note it as being Full.


    Notice the extra splices in the background
    Maxed neutral terminals
    a couple double breakers (they may fit but count as extra conductors).

    If larger panel or another panel (aka sub panel) would be recommended if extra circuits are required.



    Ken


    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    As I asked Ken, why do you state that?

    The enclosure was designed for a specific number of breakers and the conductors to those breakers, and at the time of testing, listing, labeling and manufacture that would have been the correct size enclosure.

    Which is why I am asking ... WHY? Why do you and Ken say that enclosure is undersized?

    If you are referring to the crowded mess in there, the box is not undersized, the conductors were left excessively long.

    Looking for information on something I am missing in the enclosure being undersized as you two say it is.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,245

    Default Re: SEP rats nest

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lyons View Post
    The box appears to be maxed out on breakers and there appear to be more conductors than for that size box.
    Huh?

    If the panel is maxed out on breakers, then it is as full as it was designed for, which includes the number of conductors for which it was designed for.

    Even if the box were trimmed and clean I'd note it as being Full.
    Full in what way? Full of breakers and no more room? Yep.

    Full of excess conductors? Nope.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •