Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Ryan Stouffer's Avatar
    Ryan Stouffer Guest

    Default Service box melting

    Has anyone seen breakers and other parts of a service panel that look like they have been slightly melted or burned.

    Thanks,

    Ryan

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,480

    Default Re: Service box melting

    Wow, something's not right. Looks like a Square D panel. Probably arcing at a circuit breaker connection. Might be able to purchase new guts and replace those.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  3. #3
    Ryan Stouffer's Avatar
    Ryan Stouffer Guest

    Default Re: Service box melting

    Yeah, I don't know what the heck is going on with it.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,250

    Default Re: Service box melting

    Someone accidentally hit that main bus bar with a wire which should not have touched it.

    I'll bet that lead to some sparks and fireworks, and possibly even to someone having to change their pants afterward.

    I'm guessing that the VERY HIGH CURRENT DRAW which it took to make those arc marks are what overheated that one bus and melted that plastic.

    That interior panelboard NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. Chances are it can be replaced easily as it is a Square D and they should be able to find a matching replacement, or at least a matching interior panelboard which is listed with that enclosure.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY State
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Service box melting

    Now THAT is an overheated panel.

    That was not caused by a fault or spark. That was a long term overheating, not a quick jolt.
    I call loose connection at the top of the buss.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,250

    Default Re: Service box melting

    Peter,

    And that serious arcing, melting, burning of the top of the bus bar without discoloring the bolted connection?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY State
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Service box melting

    That to me looks like SERIOUS overheating. I don't see that as an arc. Looks like the plating has flaked off from the extreme heat.
    A clearer pic would tell the tale though.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    601

    Default Re: Service box melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    That was not caused by a fault or spark. That was a long term overheating, not a quick jolt.
    I call loose connection at the top of the buss.
    X2

    I'd be willing to bet a CLEAR and in focus pic would show the nut on the bussbar stud is discolored a little bit.

    Worked on one with the same appearance about a week ago. Nut was loose.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •