Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    McAllen, Texas
    Posts
    34

    Default Who is to blame on this one

    This was a first for me.. The cable was not buried more than 2-3" throughout the property. What do you guys think about this?

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld
    Richard Flores
    Professional Inspector TREC # 8139
    www.premier-rgv.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY State
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    That has GOT to be a temp service that slipped through the cracks. Hell, the meter pan cover is even hanging off.

    That's also a 200A MP and the cable does not look like 200A to me. Hell, look at that house in the background. Seems like a higher end neighborhood.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Lets hope someone is not robbing power from the neighbor next door.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,481

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Who is to blame? Since you found it, you are.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    That has GOT to be a temp service that slipped through the cracks. Hell, the meter pan cover is even hanging off.

    That's also a 200A MP and the cable does not look like 200A to me. Hell, look at that house in the background. Seems like a higher end neighborhood.
    His location says he's in the South. I think Rick has it pegged! Sombody getten some free electricity .


  6. #6

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    This is some kind of joke........... isn't it


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    This is some kind of joke........... isn't it
    I've seen stolen gas meters and water meters, presumably used to hook up a disconnected service. This looks like the electrical is being stolen from the pictured meter. The house next door might have been going down the foreclosure tube and they needed a little more time with electricity.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY State
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    His location says he's in the South. I think Rick has it pegged! Sombody getten some free electricity .
    You guys may be on to something.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    I don't see where there is any riser going to that meter for its real service lateral, which leads me to suspect that it was connected "temporarily" at the time of construction to power up the house while waiting for the power company to come out and run the service lateral ... which never happened, leaving it that way since it was built ... and quite likely being run *from* (rather than run *to*) the house on the right.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I don't see where there is any riser going to that meter for its real service lateral, which leads me to suspect that it was connected "temporarily" at the time of construction to power up the house while waiting for the power company to come out and run the service lateral ... which never happened, leaving it that way since it was built ... and quite likely being run *from* (rather than run *to*) the house on the right.
    I know its not in a conduit, but what is the cable coming up the wall into the meter?

    I don't know about other areas but the power company will only run temp power to a temp service pole here.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I know its not in a conduit, but what is the cable coming up the wall into the meter?
    I'm thinking that is the grounding electrode conductor protected in PVC.

    I don't know about other areas but the power company will only run temp power to a temp service pole here.
    Every where I've been is that same way, but who knows 'in the "South" wherever that may be'.

    Saying one is in the "South" is about like saying one is in the "US", that covers a LOT of area.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Saying one is in the "South" is about like saying one is in the "US", that covers a LOT of area.
    His signature line includes a Texas License number and a web-site link.

    I think its safe to presume he and the subject property are represented to be in Texas.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    His signature line includes a Texas License number and a web-site link.

    I think its safe to presume he and the subject property are represented to be in Texas.
    While that is true on that presumption, I only looked at his location at 'Location', not down in his signature.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  14. #14
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    McAllen, Texas 78503


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    McAllen, Texas
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    I am in the southern most part of the State. A few minutes from Mexico.. AEP (energy provider) requires us to dig a trench no less than 40" from transformer to edge of home where Meter is to be located. So the PVC pipe that you see is the one that is suppose to be buried underground. It goes all along the properly buried no more than 2" at its deepest and does terminate at the appropriate transformer. What gets me is how the previous owner never complained about this. The house is a foreclosure but it does show signs of children living in it. Meaning that either the homeowner worked for the service provider or a friend of his worked for one. I called AEP and had them go take a look.. BTW you can rest assure that the buyer walked away from this one.

    Richard Flores
    Professional Inspector TREC # 8139
    www.premier-rgv.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

    RF:

    Thanks for the update.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •