Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Brea, Ca.

    Question IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    OREP Insurance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    Mobil home fall under state regulation. Check with your state. National building codes are not intended to be applicible to mobil homes.

    California Department of Housing and Community Development


    John Dirks Jr - Arundel Home Inspection LLC
    Licensed Maryland Home Inspector

  3. #3
    Roger Frazee's Avatar
    Roger Frazee Guest

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birenbaum View Post
    Is the IRC applicable to mobile homes as well in California? If so, how are you calling out Sub Panels installed in a Clothes closet?
    I don't think you need the IRC for this. There is no distinction for "sub-panels" in the NEC though I know what your saying they are just panelboards or panelboards containing the service equipment disconnect.

    Article 550 Mobile Homes NEC. 550.11 (A) Distribution panelboards shall be located in an accessible location but shall not be located in a bathroom or a clothes closet.

  4. #4
    Peter Taheny's Avatar
    Peter Taheny Guest

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    NEC does not apply.

    HUD Code"
    PART 3280_MHCSS
    Subpart I Electrical Systems

    Sec. 3280.804 Disconnecting means and branch-circuit protective equipment.

    (f) The distribution panelboard shall not be located in a bathroom,
    or in any other inaccessible location, but shall be permitted just
    inside a closet entry
    if the location is such that a clear space of 6
    inches to easily ignitable materials is maintained in front of the
    distribution panelboard, and the distribution panelboard door can be
    extended to its full open position (at least 90 degrees). A clear
    working space at least 30 inches wide and 30 inches in front of the
    distribution panelboard shall be provided. This space shall extend from
    floor to the top of the distribution panelboard

  5. #5
    Richard Soundy's Avatar
    Richard Soundy Guest

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes


    As previous posts stated, it is allowed. But based on the age, be on the lookout for Aluminum wiring, which according to a fire forensic specialist is the major cause of Mobile Home fires.

    Heads-Up posting FYI

    All the best - Richard

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    Definition according to HUD.

    Manufactured Home - A factory built home built after the enactment of and bearing a label of compliance with the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act, effective June 15, 1976 (HUD Code).

    Mobile Home – A factory built home built prior to enactment of the Federal Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act, effective June 15, 1976 (HUD Code).

    Since June 1976, all manufactured homes in the United States have been built to the National Home Construction and Safety Standards (the HUD Code). The HUD Code, under federal law, preempts all local building codes for these single-family dwellings. The HUD label certifies that the home has been factory constructed, tested and inspected to comply with stringent, uniform federal standards.

    The HUD Code, administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, is the counterpart to national model codes for site-built housing. These model codes include the Uniform Building Code of the International Conference of Building Officials, upon which California local governments base their building codes.

    Manufactured home Federal Construction Safety Standards Act (HUD CODE)
    These homes are designed with a permanent "steel chassis", considered movable, and carry a "title" (like a car, motorcycle, boat, etc.).

    Manufactured homes must be complete with a heating system, water heater, and floor covering from the factory. Also, most manufacturers include a range and refrigerator in their base price. Manufactured homes are generally set on a slab or frost piers. They can be set on a basement but, require a special "perimeter" frame system. A manufactured HUD home on a basement does not make it a "Modular" home.

    * The "HUD" code is a national mandate and supersedes all state or county building codes. The HUD code has many gray areas, resulting in different building standards among manufacturers.

    So, IF it is a "manufactured home" with a HUD tag and is a first time sale (new) then NO. If it is a "manufactured home" which has been first located in the jurisdiction and has a HUD tag, NO modifications which are non-compliant with the HUD code, and passes inspection, then NO. However, IF it is a "manufactured home" which is being resold in California, or is tied to a land/lot/long-term lease of land and is NOT in a "mobile home" or "manufactured home" "PARK" OR has been modified (such as permanently tied into a foundation; an "addition", has a Critical (HUD required) appliance which is not permanently mounted so as to allow the "manufactured home" to be "mobile" without modification, then YES - State & Local ordinances, codes, etc. WOULD apply. California has for example ammended their state law to REQUIRE even NEWLY manufactured homes first time sale or lease to have the water heater to be not only HUD required mounted brackets but to be additionally earthquake strapped.

    IF the home is a "mobile home" (i.e. manufactured prior to the HUD code) then YES or most likely, and may be expressly prohibited by local law, ordinance or code, although if not moved since installation of a date prior it may be "grandfathered" until/unless it is desired to be moved, modified, majorly repaired, damaged, etc. IF the "mobile home" is tied to land then YES - if it has been modified (addition, etc.) then yes or most likely.

    One of the more common non-HUD code modifications which VOIDs the TAG and its exemptions are re-roofing overlays; modification of roof such as skylights; modification of doorways (enlarge openings or using non-HUD rated doors/windows) removal of walls, replacement of original wall coverings with non-HUD listed materials, carpet, floor coverings, installation of appliances without required pans, permanent mounting brackets, etc. replacement of water heater with one not listed for manufactured home, modification of electrical panel, re-siding or overlaying siding materials using methods/materials, etc.

    When the title is no longer one for personal property and becomes tied into real property (deed, land lease, contract to deed, "mortgage", etc.) that is usually the distinction. When NEW and first time sold the manufactured home itself is subject to Federal regulation and exempt from local/state. The foundation, exterior ammendments, connections (electrical, plumbing, gas, etc.), etc. can and often do fall under state/local ordinances, codes, etc. Some states/locales make the distinction as to when the axles/wheels used for transport are separated from the manufactured home for delivery and set upon a support other than one which still provides "mobility". Some states/locales make the distinction as to the original purchaser and original installation - i.e. if the "manufactured home" is sold in place or not. Certain addition/attachment/structure to the exterior can void the exemption to local codes.

    Bottom line is you need to check for your locale and the history and Title history of the Manufactured Home (or "Mobile home" if manufactured prior to the date mentioned above) and take into account any modifications made.


  7. #7
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    Ifn you take the tires off it, it aint mobile no more.

  8. #8
    Jeff Remas's Avatar
    Jeff Remas Guest

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    In PA, the DCED approves all NEW mobile home installations. The local inspector still does the power, water and sewer cut in along with working with the DCED to approve the foundation.

    Once it is moved after it is new, it is clearly under the IRC. This has been confirmed by the DCED and PA L&I.

    Whenever someone wants to move a now used mobile home to a new location, it must have a permanent frost foundation.

    This is specific to PA, not sure how the rest of the states handle it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    On The Mason-Dixon Line

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    If your local jurisdiction/state/county has adopted the NEC and did not exclude article 550 it still applies.

    It applies as does the IRC if your jurisdiction has adopted that.

    You will find that the electrical section of the IRC is pretty much a duplicate copy of the NEC. Hud applies also. Oh the joys of Mobile Homes !

    a fine print note from article 550 in the NFPA NEC Handbook.
    The Federal Mobile Home Construction and Safety Standard, issued by the Federal Housing and Urban Development Administration ( HUD), incorporates many of the provisions of Article 550 of the NEC. The federal standard contains the requirements for electrical systems,conductors,and equipment installed within or on mobile homes and the conductors that connect mobile homes to a supply of electricity. Mobile Homes are defined as manufactured homes in the HUD regulations. For the purposes of tis code,and unless otherwise indicated, the term mobile home includes manufactured homes.
    The regulations pertaing to electrical systems are located in
    24 CFR 3280.801 - 3280.816. They require that new manufactured homes comply with the federal standard. In some cases,HUD has delagated the enforcement of this standard to state and private inspection agencies and qualified testing laboratories. The service equipment and feeders installed at the mobile or manufactured home site is covered by the requirements in part III of this article. See article 545 for the requirements covering electrical systems in manufactured buildings.

  10. #10
    erika krieger's Avatar
    erika krieger Guest

    Default Re: IRC applicable to Mobile Homes

    In NY, you'll want to refer to Appendix E of the Residential Code of NYS.
    §RAE101.1 General. These provisions shall be applicable only to a manufactured home used as a single dwelling unit and shall apply to the following:
    1. Construction, alteration and repair of any foundation system which is necessary to provide for the installation of a manufactured home unit.
    2. Construction, installation, addition, alteration, repair or maintenance of the building service equipment which is necessary for connecting manufactured homes to water, fuel, or power supplies and sewage systems.
    3. Alterations, additions, repairs or relocation of existing manufactured homes..........
    You can view the entire code online here:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts