Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Jon mackay's Avatar
    Jon mackay Guest

    Default Bent service entry

    This service seemed to be pretty short to bend like this.

    Is there a minimum height requirement for guy support?

    The run to the pole was long but there was a splice mid way (possible tree falling on it??)

    Just wondering what you would recommend.

    Replace the conduit and add guy wire? or assuming damage after install, leave as is?

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jon mackay; 03-16-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Add picture
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Bent service entry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    This service seemed to be pretty short to bend like this.

    Is there a minimum height requirement for guy support?

    The run to the pole was long but there was a splice mid way (possible tree falling on it??)

    Just wondering what you would recommend.

    Replace the conduit and add guy wire? or assuming damage after install, leave as is?
    No if I find something I would never recommend leave as is. Call for a new mast, and the electrician will decide if a guywire is needed, probably not. Call for the PoCo to repair their installation, which is probably too short. They'll eventually send someone around to check it. They'll have to fix it when the new mast goes in.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  3. #3
    Jon mackay's Avatar
    Jon mackay Guest

    Default Re: Bent service entry

    "Call for the PoCo to repair their installation, which is probably too short."

    So the feeder from the pole can not have any splices?


  4. #4
    dana1028's Avatar
    dana1028 Guest

    Default Re: Bent service entry

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    No if I find something I would never recommend leave as is. Call for a new mast, and the electrician will decide if a guywire is needed, probably not. Call for the PoCo to repair their installation, which is probably too short. They'll eventually send someone around to check it. They'll have to fix it when the new mast goes in.
    "Call for a new mast"??? Because you don't like the bend? PoCo mandates the guy wires - depending upon the PoCo they have max hts. above roof for a max without guy support; this mast does not appear to be high enough to require a guy [typically you can go 36" - 42", depending on mast material and diameter] before having to support.

    "Call for PoCo repair" ?? Repair what?

    You might take a look under the roof to see what's going on - why is the mast bent? - isn't that why you're there - a coupling just under the roof line? [violation of most PoCo rules, but if they don't see the coupling they'll hook up - you'd have to look at the local PoCo specs to see what the limitation on the coupling is].


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,245

    Default Re: Bent service entry

    Quote Originally Posted by dana1028 View Post
    "Call for a new mast"??? Because you don't like the bend?
    Not because we "don't like the bend" ... because "there is a bend in it" and it is not supposed to be bent like that.

    Which means it needs to be replaced.

    "Call for PoCo repair" ?? Repair what?
    The overhead service drop, what else???

    The power company will need to disconnect the overhead service line, the electrician will need to replace the mast, then the power company will need to reconnect the overhead service drop.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •