Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Rusted lug

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern, Ca.
    Posts
    81

    Default Rusted lug

    Inspected the main service panel on a home today. It all look good (20 yrs. old) except the rusty lug I found at the connection for the heating and air system, this was the only rusted lug in the panel. By the way the unit it self is brand new. Does anybody know what might be going on? Sorry if there is a lack of information and no pics. Thanks

    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    I would suspect heating at the connection.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  3. #3
    LEO304E CARR's Avatar
    LEO304E CARR Guest

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by David Garton View Post
    Inspected the main service panel on a home today. It all look good (20 yrs. old) except the rusty lug I found at the connection for the heating and air system, this was the only rusted lug in the panel. By the way the unit it self is brand new. Does anybody know what might be going on? Sorry if there is a lack of information and no pics. Thanks
    I would say that your looking at a circuit breaker with one rusty lug.

    Is the lug tite?

    Allso is the service fed with ser cable? As time goes by some times water travels in along the wire Right into the panel.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern, Ca.
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I would suspect heating at the connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by LEO304E CARR View Post
    I would say that your looking at a circuit breaker with one rusty lug.

    Is the lug tite?

    Allso is the service fed with ser cable? As time goes by some times water travels in along the wire Right into the panel.
    Thanks Jim
    Not sure if it was tight and yes it is feed with ser. cable


  5. #5
    LEO304E CARR's Avatar
    LEO304E CARR Guest

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by David Garton View Post
    Thanks Jim
    Not sure if it was tight and yes it is feed with ser. cable
    Check to see if the duct seal is dryed out and cracked that will let water in.

    If the lug is loose that will cause arckhing and over heating .


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern, Ca.
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by LEO304E CARR View Post
    I would say that your looking at a circuit breaker with one rusty lug.

    Is the lug tite?

    Allso is the service fed with ser cable? As time goes by some times water travels in along the wire Right into the panel.
    Electrician look at it today, lug is rusted tight, it was a moisture problem


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by David Garton View Post
    Electrician look at it today, lug is rusted tight, it was a moisture problem
    Thanks for the follow-up post, David. Anything suspicious in the electrical panel warrants a closer look.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  8. #8
    LEO304E CARR's Avatar
    LEO304E CARR Guest

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by David Garton View Post
    Electrician look at it today, lug is rusted tight, it was a moisture problem
    Did he find that water was traveling along the ser cable?


  9. #9
    David Cortez's Avatar
    David Cortez Guest

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Not trying to be a smart-ass, but isn't rust always a moisture problem? As I recall, it's the product of two disimilar metals that come in contact with moisture.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern, Ca.
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by David Cortez View Post
    Not trying to be a smart-ass, but isn't rust always a moisture problem? As I recall, it's the product of two disimilar metals that come in contact with moisture.
    Smart-a..

    Last edited by David Garton; 11-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by David Cortez View Post
    Not trying to be a smart-ass, but isn't rust always a moisture problem? As I recall, it's the product of two disimilar metals that come in contact with moisture.
    The metals do not even need to be dissimilar for rust to occur. The metals simply need iron content and some humidity (versus what most think of as "moisture") to cause the iron to turn into iron oxide ("rust").

    When you have dissimilar metals, you have galvanic action and that creates "corrosion", not rusting (at least to my knowledge, I may well be scientifically correcting as soon as I click the 'Submit' button ).

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern, Ca.
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The metals do not even need to be dissimilar for rust to occur. The metals simply need iron content and some humidity (versus what most think of as "moisture") to cause the iron to turn into iron oxide ("rust").

    When you have dissimilar metals, you have galvanic action and that creates "corrosion", not rusting (at least to my knowledge, I may well be scientifically correcting as soon as I click the 'Submit' button ).
    Thanks Jerry for clarifying that for David C.


  13. #13
    Lloyd Miller's Avatar
    Lloyd Miller Guest

    Default Re: Rusted lug

    To find only one rusty lug usually means it was overheated (if no water present or tracked to that spot). I remember seeing a CB with one lug with a cherry colored lug (yes it was loaded).....the problem was that the lug "appeared" to be tight but because it was cross threaded it made one think is was seated properly (it was not).

    Just my 2 c


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •