Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Joe Griffin's Avatar
    Joe Griffin Guest

    Default Got really lucky last night

    If I wasn't home last night, we probably would have lost everything we own. Writing a report last evening, I heard our Nighthawk CO Detector chirping. I pulled it out of the wall, reset it, but it wouldn't stop acting weird.

    About that time, the wife asks if I can help her with our newfangled Plasma TV in the bedroom, she couldn't get it to come on. I turn on the bedroom light, and the light goes brilliant, and then pops. HMMMM......
    Meanwhile, the TV is clicking on and off, on and off.

    I proceed to the hall light, it does the same thing, heavenly light from a 40 watt bulb, then nothing. I then smell the unmistakable smell of an electrical fire upstairs somewhere. In my son's room, his 32 inch TV is smoking. I yell to the wife and daughter to get out of the house, I unplug the TV, and carry it out of the house.

    I mistakenly assumed the TV was the problem, until I saw some lights upstairs still flickering, and going out one by one. I immediately shut the main and called the FD. They used an IR to shoot the walls of the affected rooms (4) and the attic. Nothing real hot, except one partially fried outlet.

    Well the full tally is: Two window unit AC's, two alarm clocks, One 36 inch picture tube TV, one cable TV box, and my son's Computer. Hopefully we can scavenge the info on the hard drive. Not bad considering the alternatives. I just returned from a week's vacation this week.

    Cause: A neutral sprung loose in the 1973 service panel in our basement and contacted a hot wire nearby. And yes, I tightened everything up in the panel today. Got lucky.

    Similar Threads:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    536

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    You were lucky! Glad to hear it was only personal property that was lost and that your family and home survived.

    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,517

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    Glad to hear you, the family, and the plasma TV were saved.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,822

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    I'll bet your son just can't wait to see what you find on his hard drive.


  5. #5
    Richard Rushing's Avatar
    Richard Rushing Guest

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    Joe,

    Glad to hear that you and the family weren't caught by this in the middle of the night when no one was awake. Things could have been alot worse--just glad they were not.

    The good news is... football season is starting this week!!

    Rich


  6. #6
    Joe Griffin's Avatar
    Joe Griffin Guest

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    Thanks guys. All good points. Oh, and I checked my smoke detectors. Found one that tested with the horn, but no reaction to smoke. Made a trip to HD, all new hard wired 50/50's all around. I urge all of my peers here to get into your own panels and check em good. I assumed that nothing would just loosen up of it's own volition. But I guess without loctite on the threads, it's bound to happen. Also check those smokes, I assumed I was ok for five years or so, but one didn't make it.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    25,314

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    Joe,

    You indeed were lucky.

    Good for you.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  8. #8
    Richard Rushing's Avatar
    Richard Rushing Guest

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    I do plan on getting real lucky toinght... if only my wife will approve my absence.



    RR


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    25,314

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rushing View Post
    I do plan on getting real lucky toinght... if only my wife will approve my absence.



    RR
    What's that song which says 'who's messing around with your woman while you're out messing around with another woman'?

    Now, figure out 'who got lucky'.



    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,829

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    Glad you all made it out safely and that the house was saved. Don't forget to call your insurance agent, all of that stuff should be covered. They might even cover the recovery of info off the hard drive.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nv. - Now St. Louis, Mo.
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Got really lucky last night

    Add that CO detector to the list of damaged stuff. They're not meant to be 'voltage alerts.'

    Every GFI is likely to be bad.

    This is one reason I like surge suppressors at every major appliance. A $10 power strip, with suppressor, is a lot cheaper than a $2000 TV set. Easire to replace as well.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •