Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Just wanted to see if there was a max number of GFI receptacles on one 15/20A circuit. I researched this but all I found was some people bickering - no real answers.

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    No, there is not a limit on the number of GFCIs you can place in one circuit.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    You only need one GFCI to protect the downstream outlets. Why would you require a GFCI on each outlet? Not cost effective.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,250

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    You only need one GFCI to protect the downstream outlets. Why would you require a GFCI on each outlet? Not cost effective.
    Raymond,

    I didn't read anything about anyone "requiring" all to be GFCI receptacle outlets, only a question about how many is allowed - as many as one wants.

    How many are you allowed to have? AS MANY AS YOU WANT.

    It is about "convenience", not "requirements".

    EVERY SINGLE RECEPTACLE IN MY HOUSE WHICH REQUIRES GFCI PROTECTION *IS* A GFCI RECEPTACLE - are you telling me *I* am not allowed to do that if *I* want to???

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Though so, but needed to check, Past client had some A hole electrician throw me under the bus saying how I missed this and that designated circuits are required "every 2-3 bathrooms" etc... whatever... JA.

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chico,Ca
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Any chance the OP was meaning to ask how many receptacles allowed downstream of a GFCI receptacle?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Any chance the OP was meaning to ask how many receptacles allowed downstream of a GFCI receptacle?
    No, I don't think so. He was pretty clear in his rhetoric that he meant GFIs. There were only 3 1/2 baths. "I" Didnt see any other receptacle on that circuit.
    Oh yea, ya know when electricians or DIY use any old coverplate on any arbitrary receptacle? The coverplate that still have that little sticker that says GFI receptacle...? Those needed to be GFI also. Like I said JA.

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Raymond,

    I didn't read anything about anyone "requiring" all to be GFCI receptacle outlets, only a question about how many is allowed - as many as one wants.

    How many are you allowed to have? AS MANY AS YOU WANT.

    It is about "convenience", not "requirements".

    EVERY SINGLE RECEPTACLE IN MY HOUSE WHICH REQUIRES GFCI PROTECTION *IS* A GFCI RECEPTACLE - are you telling me *I* am not allowed to do that if *I* want to???
    Good Jerry, thats really good. I really want to thank you for bringing that up and correcting me.

    SO I MISREAD IT. HAVE ME EXECUTED IN THE MORNING! SORRY TO HAVE RAISED YOUR IRE.

    I'LL GO TO MY ROOM NOW!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,250

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Good Jerry, thats really good. I really want to thank you for bringing that up and correcting me.

    SO I MISREAD IT. HAVE ME EXECUTED IN THE MORNING! SORRY TO HAVE RAISED YOUR IRE.

    I'LL GO TO MY ROOM NOW!
    Raymond,

    Don't be so hard on yourself, I just responded to you like you did to the original poster ... ... all based on not reading well, I guess?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Though so, but needed to check, Past client had some A hole electrician throw me under the bus saying how I missed this and that designated circuits are required "every 2-3 bathrooms" etc... whatever... JA.
    Maybe the electrician was talking about what areas are required to be on separate circuits, for instance you need 2 circuits at the kitchen counter, so all the GFCI at the kitchen counter can't be on the same circuit. In other words, he is right in that all of the GFCI protected receptacles in the home can't be on the same circuit (by today's standards), if that's what he was saying.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Raymond,

    Don't be so hard on yourself, I just responded to you like you did to the original poster ... ... all based on not reading well, I guess?
    Jerry,

    Your hearing aid is to be put in your ear, its not a suppository!


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    601

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    The "code legal" answer, minus any local amendments, is there is no limit in a residence. Some manufacturers at one point limited the number downstream to 10, and if you have one of these or one with different limitations, that is the limit - again, unless limited still further by local rules.

    The practical answer has to do with the loads on the circuit. The GFCIs trip when leakage current to ground gets to 5 mA (.005 AMP). If you have one appliance on the circuit and it has a 2mA leakage there probably won't be any issues. With 3 of these on a single GFCI there's going to be problems.

    Jerry's method of putting GFCIs everywhere solves that problem, but you don't see it often. It makes good sense on a bathroom circuit that serves several bathrooms. I'm not so sure it makes as much sense in a kitchen, but it's perfectly acceptable.

    Many jurisdictions have a rule that limits receptacles on the kitchen small appliance circuits to 3. You would need to know when a place was built and when a restrictive rule like this was put in place to know if an installation was in compliance.

    And again, absent a local rule, as long as a circuit serves only the receptacles in bathrooms, it can serve any number of bathrooms. Good practice and design says it will only serve one though


  13. #13
    Richard Adams's Avatar
    Richard Adams Guest

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    EVERY SINGLE RECEPTACLE IN MY HOUSE WHICH REQUIRES GFCI PROTECTION *IS* A GFCI RECEPTACLE - [/quote]

    Wish more contractors were like Jerry. Always amazed how they gang circuits to a GFCI. Spent 30 minutes searching last week after tripping a bathroom receptacle. GFCI was finally found in a very cluttered garage (1 of 3 GFCI's in the garage) mounted above the main panel. To make it more confusing, 1 GFCI was in the main bath, but no other receptacles tied to it.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Max Number of GFI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post
    EVERY SINGLE RECEPTACLE IN MY HOUSE WHICH REQUIRES GFCI PROTECTION *IS* A GFCI RECEPTACLE -
    Wish more contractors were like Jerry. Always amazed how they gang circuits to a GFCI. Spent 30 minutes searching last week after tripping a bathroom receptacle. GFCI was finally found in a very cluttered garage (1 of 3 GFCI's in the garage) mounted above the main panel. To make it more confusing, 1 GFCI was in the main bath, but no other receptacles tied to it.
    Even if you have multiple GFCI receptacles on a circuit, there is no guarantee that the one you are testing (with your tester) is the one that will trip, any of them upstream might trip.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,250

    Default Re: Max Number of GFCI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Even if you have multiple GFCI receptacles on a circuit, there is no guarantee that the one you are testing (with your tester) is the one that will trip, any of them upstream might trip.
    If you install a GFCI receptacle at each receptacle which requires GFCI protection, it would be STUPID (but some people do stupid things) to wire any of the GFCIs as feed through, they should all be wired as bypass so that one GFCI device does not also protect another GFCI device, but, as stated, people do stupid things ...

    I did it for convenience, there are two GFCI receptacles in our master bath, not quite 6 feet apart, but why should I have to reach across the vanity top to reset a GFCI when I can have (do have) a GFCI where I am standing.

    Same for the kitchen, why should I have to go across the kitchen to reset a GFCI when I can have (do have) a GFCI receptacle at each receptacle (which are less than 4 feet apart too)?

    Same for the garage (4), rear porch (2), exterior (3 not counting the rear porch), etc., ... the price of convenience is really quite low.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Max Number of GFCI on one Circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If you install a GFCI receptacle at each receptacle which requires GFCI protection, it would be STUPID (but some people do stupid things) to wire any of the GFCIs as feed through, they should all be wired as bypass so that one GFCI device does not also protect another GFCI device, but, as stated, people do stupid things ...
    Good point. I have seen them wired "stupidly" most of the time.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •