Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    64

    Default three wire to storage shed

    I just wanted to check real quick on the rule on regular 3 wire romex being feed from the house to a storage shed in back yard. not outdoor wire either, pretty wrong in my book but wanted to know the rule on the certain kind of wire. Thanks

    Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,898

    Default Re: three wire to storage shed

    Regular NM or NM-B is not for use in wet or damp areas. You can find both the acceptable and prohibited uses in Article 334 of the NEC.

    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: three wire to storage shed

    Eric,

    Apart from the very obvious issue that NM/NMB is not to be used underground, there can be further problems if this is a three wire feeder from a panelboard to another panelboard, they a 4 wire cable is required.

    Also, the depth of the cable trench can be an issue. Not to mention, if they are bringing power to the 2nd. building, then they must put a light outside near the entry way into the building.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: three wire to storage shed

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Farrell View Post
    Eric,

    Apart from the very obvious issue that NM/NMB is not to be used underground, there can be further problems if this is a three wire feeder from a panelboard to another panelboard, they a 4 wire cable is required.

    Also, the depth of the cable trench can be an issue. Not to mention, if they are bringing power to the 2nd. building, then they must put a light outside near the entry way into the building.
    Hi Donald,

    Who "must" put a light outside......?

    Corey


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: three wire to storage shed

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Farrell View Post
    Eric,

    Apart from the very obvious issue that NM/NMB is not to be used underground, there can be further problems if this is a three wire feeder from a panelboard to another panelboard, they a 4 wire cable is required.

    Also, the depth of the cable trench can be an issue. Not to mention, if they are bringing power to the 2nd. building, then they must put a light outside near the entry way into the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Hi Donald,

    Who "must" put a light outside......?

    Corey
    Whomever is in charge.

    As required by the IRC and NEC.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    164

    Wink Re: three wire to storage shed

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Whomever is in charge.

    As required by the IRC and NEC.

    Hi Jerry,

    As you know, in a private real estate transaction the only "must" (for something like this) is what the two parties agree to, which can range from everything to nothing.

    Be well,

    Corey


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: three wire to storage shed

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Hi Jerry,

    As you know, in a private real estate transaction the only "must" (for something like this) is what the two parties agree to, which can range from everything to nothing.

    Be well,

    Corey
    Corey,

    I suspect that Donald was referring to when the house is constructed, not to the current real estate transaction where the home inspector is pointing out what was not done when it should have been done.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •