Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Jeff Weber's Avatar
    Jeff Weber Guest

    Default Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    I recently inspected a home bulit in 2011 where some new can lights were installed in the family room after construction. The power for the new lights was pulled from the load side of the service receptacle that is located in the attic meant to service the furnace. Since this was a dedicated 15 amp circuit that is now supporting a lighting circuit, should this be written up and if it is legit, should the breaker be replaced with an ARC fault type?

    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Robert Meier's Avatar
    Robert Meier Guest

    Default Re: Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    If the circuit was only for the receptacle, not the furnace itself, then it can be used to feed the lights. If the lights are in a space that requires AFCI protection, i.e. the family room, then AFCI protection is required.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    If the circuit was only for the receptacle, not the furnace itself, then it can be used to feed the lights. If the lights are in a space that requires AFCI protection, i.e. the family room, then AFCI protection is required.
    Hi Guys,

    The AFCI "requirement" for a new home is based on what code the municipality has adopted. Just because it was built in 2011 does not mean they are on the 2011 or 2008 NEC.

    Have a great day.

    Corey


  4. #4
    Robert Meier's Avatar
    Robert Meier Guest

    Default Re: Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Hi Guys,

    The AFCI "requirement" for a new home is based on what code the municipality has adopted. Just because it was built in 2011 does not mean they are on the 2011 or 2008 NEC.

    Have a great day.

    Corey
    Yes that's true. If I remember correctly the 2005 NEC only required AFCI protection for bedrooms.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,250

    Default Re: Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Hi Guys,

    The AFCI "requirement" for a new home is based on what code the municipality has adopted. Just because it was built in 2011 does not mean they are on the 2011 or 2008 NEC.

    Have a great day.

    Corey
    Corey,

    While that is true, the same applies to older homes and GFCI, however, for home inspections ... for home inspections it is always best to recommend GFCI protection for all receptacle outlets in all wet areas, or at least to the standard of the current code (not the current applicable code - the current code) as that raises the safety standard.

    The same applies to AFCI protection, for home inspections ... for home inspections it is always best to recommend the higher level of protection, i.e., the current code requirements for AFCIs.

    The home inspector does not, cannot, enforce and standard on anyone, the home inspector only advises their client on their professional opinion and that professional opinion (hopefully) addresses the higher standards associated with the current codes (newest codes, not the current adopted codes).



    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Corey,

    While that is true, the same applies to older homes and GFCI, however, for home inspections ... for home inspections it is always best to recommend GFCI protection for all receptacle outlets in all wet areas, or at least to the standard of the current code (not the current applicable code - the current code) as that raises the safety standard.

    The same applies to AFCI protection, for home inspections ... for home inspections it is always best to recommend the higher level of protection, i.e., the current code requirements for AFCIs.

    The home inspector does not, cannot, enforce and standard on anyone, the home inspector only advises their client on their professional opinion and that professional opinion (hopefully) addresses the higher standards associated with the current codes (newest codes, not the current adopted codes).

    Hi Jerry,

    I agree that " The home inspector does not, cannot, enforce and standard on anyone, the home inspector only advises their client on their professional opinion"..... I disagree that "professional opinion (hopefully) addresses the higher standards associated with the current codes (newest codes, not the current adopted codes)."

    That's a a debate for a different day.

    For this thread I was commenting based on the use of the word "requirement". Big difference between a requirement and a recommendation (regardless of what info used to make a recommendation). I think we are in agreement on that.

    Be well.

    Sincerely,

    Corey


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,250

    Default Re: Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    For this thread I was commenting based on the use of the word "requirement". Big difference between a requirement and a recommendation (regardless of what info used to make a recommendation). I think we are in agreement on that.
    100% agreement on that.

    Which is why I used "recommend".

    I was mainly posting that for all to understand that just because an area may be using the 1994 SBC and the 1981 NEC does not mean that the home inspector, doing a home inspection, needs to be concerned with what was in effect then or now, only that the home inspector, doing the home inspection, should be aware of current standards which represent the greater level of recognized safety of the day (today) and not of 'back then'.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zeeland Michigan
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    I think the furnace requires a dedicated circuit and would have written it up.

    If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Robert Meier's Avatar
    Robert Meier Guest

    Default Re: Can lighting added to Furnace branch circuit...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vernon View Post
    I think the furnace requires a dedicated circuit and would have written it up.
    Are we sure that the furnace is not on it's own circuit?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •