Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oak Park IL
    Posts
    39

    Default Antique Disconnect

    Came accross this original service equiptment by Chicago Switchboard, dated 1927. A thing of beauty. Any thoughts on whether it has any value as an antique?
    Also check out the exterior light switch and outlet. The outlet is marked "Hubbell" 10A 250V.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Donal Hughes; 07-05-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    That reminds me of the original service panels I've seen in some of "America's Castles." I was touring the homes in Providence, RI, and in one of them, the service panel, in the basement, was so ornate. It was in marble with brass edging and brass engraved plates under each of the circuits.

    Same thing at Biltmore House, only the original panel, which ended up serving the house up until the 70s, was "overwritten" with embossed tape from a label maker in several spots.

    If you had the money back then, you had things of beauty even in the places you wouldn't see them.

    That panel above is truly neat considering it's in what I guess is just a regular house (perhaps a bit on the upscale though, eh?). Looks like it's in fairly good shape for its age.


  3. #3
    Stephen Kielar's Avatar
    Stephen Kielar Guest

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    I was in downtown Buffalo last week and came across this 1200 amp 120 volt service.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    You don't mention whether that is in OP or the City. If in the City you may want to advise your client about the 60% rule regarding the disconnect and any electrical repairs or upgrades.
    The A type meter base is not allowed. City electrical inspectors write those up automatically for removal and replacement as boiler plate. Depending on your clients viewpoint, you may want to inform them about the potential substantial electrical upgrade costs.

    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oak Park IL
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    You don't mention whether that is in OP or the City. If in the City you may want to advise your client about the 60% rule regarding the disconnect and any electrical repairs or upgrades.
    The A type meter base is not allowed. City electrical inspectors write those up automatically for removal and replacement as boiler plate. Depending on your clients viewpoint, you may want to inform them about the potential substantial electrical upgrade costs.
    Thanks Markus and all. Yea this house is in OP. My client was a potential buyer - forclosed, bank owned property. Unfortunately they were outbid; 8000+ sq. ft. mansion, 10 fireplaces! They were planning big rehab ($500,000 plus), complete electrical etc. I posted the pics. for the historic interest; state of the art equiptment in 1927.


  6. #6
    Garry Blankenship's Avatar
    Garry Blankenship Guest

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Fun stuff; all copper bussing, handles that look like they belong on a shovel and I'll bet those covers are heavy.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Hughes View Post
    Thanks Markus and all. Yea this house is in OP. My client was a potential buyer - forclosed, bank owned property. Unfortunately they were outbid; 8000+ sq. ft. mansion, 10 fireplaces! They were planning big rehab ($500,000 plus), complete electrical etc. I posted the pics. for the historic interest; state of the art equiptment in 1927.
    Was going to ask if it was an old mansion. Have seen that type of panel where money was no object. If anyone remembers the movie "Annie" with Daddy Warbucks, the panels in the mansion are real beautiful works of art.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect


    How did we survive stuff like this?



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Grigg View Post
    How did we survive stuff like this?
    This country was not the Nanny State it is now. Folks had common sense, worked hard and had a good life. Life was much simpler back then than it is now.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Life was much simpler back then than it is now.
    Yep ... we all got buy with no computers, no electric water heaters, no ac systems, no electric ranges ... heck, all the typical house needed was 30 amp service for those new fangled electric light things, then we got that new contraption which replaced the ice box ... still, 30 amps was enough.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Yep ... we all got buy with no computers, no electric water heaters, no ac systems, no electric ranges ... heck, all the typical house needed was 30 amp service for those new fangled electric light things, then we got that new contraption which replaced the ice box ... still, 30 amps was enough.
    "And by crackie... we didn't need any stinking ground either!!!!"


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Goeken View Post
    "And by crackie... we didn't need any stinking ground either!!!!"
    Just a shed for the light plant and a can of kerosene.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oak Park IL
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Just a shed for the light plant and a can of kerosene.
    Wow ! Is that a washing machine in the basement (pic 2) being driven by an open pulley and belt?
    And what on earth is going on in that other shed in the background?


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    You mean the Delco Power Stand?

    Yes, I wonder how many pairs of longjohns got wrapped up in that washing machine drive belt before they got the thing contained in a cabinet?

    When a Model T roadster sold for $350, the light Plant might have been a tough sale, so they had to come up with lots of neat accessories. They were making butter in that outbuilding, that's the creamery.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Lot of expense and apparatus for a few lights. I'm surprised anybody ever thought it was a good idea!

    END GLOBAL WHINING

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melrose, Massachusetts
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Antique Disconnect

    Here's a second floor panel I found in a large 1920s house a while back. Work of art for sure.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Donald Bissex
    Melrose, Massachusetts
    www.mystichomeinspection.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •