Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Posts
    187

    Default Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Inspected a condo today that was built in 1978. The electrical panel was located in the basement bathroom (shower, sink and toilet). I know this cant be acceptable, even for 1978 ? Correct?

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    I don't have code books that go back that far, but more recent codes would prevent the panel in the bathroom. Also even if it were permitted the workspace requirements have been encrouched upon.

    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    The prohibition against locating panelboards in bathrooms did not come into the NEC until the 1993 Edition.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The prohibition against locating panelboards in bathrooms did not come into the NEC until the 1993 Edition.
    Do you have code books to reference back to ? Thank you


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Do you have code books to reference back to ? Thank you
    I looked it up in my code books, yes.

    I started at 1971 and worked my way back toward the present until it first appeared, that was in the 1993 NEC.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    An electrical panel in bathroom is totally not acceptable as it is surely going to bring about lot of electrical hazards such as short circuits and burn outs. May be in 1978 there were no checklists associated with this type of panel placement. Many people do consider panel replacement due to many factors which includes the protective measures such as surge protection which if installed can minimize electrical hazards to great extend.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    image.jpg (30.8 KB)

    Probably fake, but still hilarious.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Brad Richter; 03-11-2014 at 06:29 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Interesting thoughts but incorrect .
    The reason the bathroom location was prohibited by the NEC is that it may not be accessible if someone was using the bath and the door is locked..
    Jim,

    Where did you get that misinformation from?

    If that was the reason then electrical panels would not be allowed in bedrooms.

    The reason electrical panels are not allowed in bathrooms is because of the safety aspect and being dangerous and unsafe in the bathroom.

    In fact, and as much as I disagree with this, many non-residential installations have their panel(s) in the bathroom.

    I disagree that location should be allowed for the reason you gave - because all occupants are required to have ready access to their overcurrent devices and locked bathroom doors prevent ready access.

    As much as I disagree with it, there are others here who agree with it.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    I am quite familiar with this Code change proposal and know for a fact that the reason was access .
    I'm game ... show us why you know that for a fact.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Sorry Jerry - It is time for you to back up your claim .

    If moisture was the problem and made a panel box dangerous and unsafe , why is it acceptable to have a circuit breaker box on the exterior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'm game ... show us why you know that for a fact.
    Are you two going too do this all over, again?

    Less back and forth if I just watch Fox, then MSNBC.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Sorry Jerry - It is time for you to back up your claim .

    If moisture was the problem and made a panel box dangerous and unsafe , why is it acceptable to have a circuit breaker box on the exterior?
    Jim,

    As usual, you are trying to mix two different things into one to try to support your thinking.

    A) The panel being unsafe and hazardous in the bathroom cannot be compared to a panel being installed outside ... not unless it rains, snows, winds blow, etc in your bathroom ... maybe they but not in most bathrooms, at least not until the structure around and over the bathroom are blown down/blown away.

    The hazard in the bathroom is to the occupants of the bathroom.

    B) The panel outside is enclosed in an enclosure which is supposed to protect the interior components from the deterioration effects of the outdoor environment.

    Seldom would you have people being wet from a shower or bath, with or without clothes on bathrobes on going outside in the vicinity of and around the panel installed outside.

    If you do not understand the above, maybe some of the others here will add to or refine my descriptions for you.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Interesting thoughts but incorrect .
    The reason the bathroom location was prohibited by the NEC is that it may not be accessible if someone was using the bath and the door is locked..
    Using that logic, why are bedrooms not prohibited for the same reason (or outdoor utility rooms).

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    My thought is that most bedrooms at the time did not have locks. I was building at the time and never put locks on bedroom doors.
    I've owned many houses and not a single one did not have locks on the bedroom doors, that is why they are referred to as "privacy locksets".

    ... a panel box is not allowed in a motel rooms and both were instituted at the same time .
    Jim,

    That's the second time you have said that ... this is the second time asking for your reference as to where you got that information.

    Panels *are not prohibited* from being in motel rooms and guest rooms by the NEC, what source do you have which is prohibiting panels in motel rooms and guest rooms?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •