Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Grounding to water supply from feeder panel

    Is it permitted to run a ground wire to the water supply pipe from the feeder panel ground terminals instead of from the main panel? In this installation the grounding electrode was run from the main panel, but the ground to the water supply pipe was run from the feeder panel.

    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,898

    Default Re: Grounding to water supply from feeder panel

    The grounding needs to come from the service panel.

    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Grounding to water supply from feeder panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    The grounding needs to come from the service panel.
    Thanks. That is what I have always through, but I saw grounds originating at feeder panels in two newer houses recently and started to question whether this was correct.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Grounding to water supply from feeder panel

    I would need to look it up to be sure, but bonding of the interior water piping system may not be required to be directly bonded to the service equipment as bonding to the groundING conductor in a remote panel bonds the metal water piping back to the service equipment to.

    Jim P what say you? I can look it up later.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,898

    Default Re: Grounding to water supply from feeder panel

    I have never done it that way and don't know whether it would fly or not. Jack D would know

    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Grounding to water supply from feeder panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    I have never done it that way and don't know whether it would fly or not. Jack D would know
    I just got back to my office and looked it up, the answer is yes and no ... sort of.

    From the 2008 NEC (on my computer for easy copy and paste): (bold and underlining are mine)
    - 250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural Steel.
    - - (A) Metal Water Piping. The metal water piping system shall be bonded as required in (A)(1), (A)(2), or (A)(3) of this section. The bonding jumper(s) shall be installed in accordance with 250.64(A), (B), and (E). The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.
    - - - (1) General. Metal water piping system(s) installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.66 except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and (A)(3).
    - - - (2) Buildings of Multiple Occupancy. (basically not applicable to houses)
    - - - (3) Multiple Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s). (not likely applicable to most houses in most cases)

    If the grounding conductor to a remote panel met the requirements of 250.104(A)(1), then I can see that being permitted as the bonding jumper (for a potential 'yes' answer), otherwise the answer would be 'no, needs to be bonded at the service equipment'.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Grounding to water supply from feeder panel

    Yo JP,
    Just to clarify and for the record, not trying to be flippant...by bonding the panels downstream to the SEP (which connect to the SEP), "technically" bonds the water piping by proxy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I just got back to my office and looked it up, the answer is yes and no ... sort of.

    From the 2008 NEC (on my computer for easy copy and paste): (bold and underlining are mine)
    - 250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural Steel.
    - - (A) Metal Water Piping. The metal water piping system shall be bonded as required in (A)(1), (A)(2), or (A)(3) of this section. The bonding jumper(s) shall be installed in accordance with 250.64(A), (B), and (E). The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.
    - - - (1) General. Metal water piping system(s) installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.66 except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and (A)(3).
    - - - (2) Buildings of Multiple Occupancy. (basically not applicable to houses)
    - - - (3) Multiple Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s). (not likely applicable to most houses in most cases)

    If the grounding conductor to a remote panel met the requirements of 250.104(A)(1), then I can see that being permitted as the bonding jumper (for a potential 'yes' answer), otherwise the answer would be 'no, needs to be bonded at the service equipment'.


    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Grounding to water supply from feeder panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Yo JP,
    Just to clarify and for the record, not trying to be flippant...by bonding the panels downstream to the SEPtechnicalitconnect to the SEP[/I]), "technically" bonds the water piping by proxy?
    Marc,

    I will rephrase the above: bonding to downstream panels may bond the metal water piping back to the service equipment by proxy, but ... "technically" ... it does not bond the metal water piping back to the service equipment unless the bonding conductor meets the requirements for the bonding conductor.

    It may accidentally bond it to the service equipment by proxy ... but I would not like to rely on accidents happening at the precise time the accident needs to happen.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •