Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    The homes main electrical service is 200 amps, it's located on a power pole near home and spits off to serve both home and outbuildings. My concern is that the panel in home is rated at 125 amps and has no disconnect other than the main 200 amp. This is the first time is have seen this type of setup, want to make sure I am correct in calling for the homes panel to have a 125 amp disconnect installed.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,898

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    Were there multiple breakers in the meter main?

    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Were there multiple breakers in the meter main?
    No just the 200 amp main at the exterior service entrance.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,898

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    It sounds like there are several issues. The service is at the pole but the remote panel does not have a means of disconnect along with improper overcurrent protection.

    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    It sounds like there are several issues. The service is at the pole but the remote panel does not have a means of disconnect along with improper overcurrent protection.
    Yes that appears to be the case, also ground wires in remote panel should be on separate bus bar bonded to panel.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,244

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    Yes that appears to be the case, also ground wires in remote panel should be on separate bus bar bonded to panel.
    Along with grounding electrode systems at each building as well as at the pole.

    Were the feeders run to the separate buildings from the pole mounted service equipment 3-wire (no separate neutral and ground) or 4-wire (separate neutral and ground)?

    Do you know when that work was done?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Along with grounding electrode systems at each building as well as at the pole.

    Were the feeders run to the separate buildings from the pole mounted service equipment 3-wire (no separate neutral and ground) or 4-wire (separate neutral and ground)?

    Do you know when that work was done?
    House panel is grounded to water supply pipes only, main service has ground rod. Feeders serving outbuildings were 3-wire. Majority of the outbuilding electrical needs updated and replaced, lots of old fused panels with many improper wiring issues, over sized fuses, no ground rods, etc.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Holladay, UT
    Posts
    565

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    The homes main electrical service is 200 amps, it's located on a power pole near home and spits off to serve both home and outbuildings. My concern is that the panel in home is rated at 125 amps and has no disconnect other than the main 200 amp. This is the first time is have seen this type of setup, want to make sure I am correct in calling for the homes panel to have a 125 amp disconnect installed.
    Trent, When you say it "spits off to serve both home and outbuildings" was the 200 Amp breaker double tapped to feed two sub panels.

    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Trent, When you say it "spits off to serve both home and outbuildings" was the 200 Amp breaker double tapped to feed two sub panels.
    No the main 200 amp lugs were not double tapped. This place was a small farm with many outbuildings. It really just needs to be updated to a 320-400 amp service. Outbuilding wiring was a rats nest of old fuse panels and wiring.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chico,Ca
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    That pole mounted panel is a Unicorn, they made a "Pick-A-Amp" breaker based on Zinsco, all you had to do was change the rating plug if you needed 100a or 200A, see photos below. Rating plug. Unicorn Breaker next to Milbank 3 pole, who bought Unicorn. My question is does the main have that feature?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Clarkesville, Georgia
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Main service disconnect 200 amp, panel 125 amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    It really just needs to be updated to a 320-400 amp service.
    Why? Do they have enough load to justify?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •