Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Parallel Wiring

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,258

    Default Parallel Wiring

    Let's see if I can describe this well enough. There is an electric range that was added during a kitchen remodel. The original kitchen had an electric cook top and an electric oven. Each had a 30 amp x 240 circuit, with # 10 wirings. When the new range was added, a 50 amp breaker was added, and is now using two #10 wires for each leg, a total of 4 # 10 wires. The reason being that it would have been difficult to get a # 6 wire into the kitchen at this point. I told my client that you can't do parallel wiring for a branch circuit like that, but I wanted to double check.

    Similar Threads:
    F.I.R.E. Services
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,250

    Default Re: Parallel Wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I told my client that you can't do parallel wiring for a branch circuit like that, but I wanted to double check.
    Well ... they "can" do it because you saw it ... ...but they are not allowed to.

    Not for the reason you gave, though - because the conductors that small are not permitted to used in parallel.

    Only conductors 1/0 and larger are permitted to be used in parallel.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,258

    Default Re: Parallel Wiring

    Actually, that is what I told him, from some vague memory of a conversation on here. I told him you can do parallel wiring, but I had only heard of it being done with larger wiring. I didn't know the 1/0 size parameter. Thanks.

    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Parallel Wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Actually, that is what I told him, from some vague memory of a conversation on here. I told him you can do parallel wiring, but I had only heard of it being done with larger wiring. I didn't know the 1/0 size parameter. Thanks.
    The restrictions on parallel wiring are more than just wire gage. Also, I would be surprised to learn that the 50A CB was listed for connection of two conductors.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Parallel Wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Let's see if I can describe this well enough. There is an electric range that was added during a kitchen remodel. The original kitchen had an electric cook top and an electric oven. Each had a 30 amp x 240 circuit, with # 10 wirings. When the new range was added, a 50 amp breaker was added, and is now using two #10 wires for each leg, a total of 4 # 10 wires. The reason being that it would have been difficult to get a # 6 wire into the kitchen at this point. I told my client that you can't do parallel wiring for a branch circuit like that, but I wanted to double check.
    If you're a fan of the NASA Urine Recycle Machine (youtube)... "that's piss right to the bottom" While the "math" might work - should a wire fail or even a connection be loose, the entire load would be on the surviving wire. Shut it down before it burns the home down.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •