Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    il
    Posts
    38

    Default copper and natural gas

    Some jurisdictions in our area will not allow copper for use with natural gas. Can anyone shed some light on were to find a national code to reference, we currently call it out as a possible safety issue and leave it to the buyers and sellers to duke it out. What is everyone else doing?

    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,246

    Default Re: copper and natural gas

    From the IRC:

    G2414.5.2 (403.5.2) Copper tubing.
    Copper tubing shall comply with standard Type K or L of ASTM B 88 or ASTM B 280.

    Copper and brass tubing shall not be used if the gas contains more than an average of 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100 standard cubic feet of gas (0.7 milligrams per 100 liters).

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,478

    Default Re: copper and natural gas

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Hawley View Post
    Some jurisdictions in our area will not allow copper for use with natural gas. Can anyone shed some light on were to find a national code to reference, we currently call it out as a possible safety issue and leave it to the buyers and sellers to duke it out. What is everyone else doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    From the IRC:

    G2414.5.2 (403.5.2) Copper tubing.
    Copper tubing shall comply with standard Type K or L of ASTM B 88 or ASTM B 280.

    Copper and brass tubing shall not be used if the gas contains more than an average of 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100 standard cubic feet of gas (0.7 milligrams per 100 liters).
    Don,

    The primary problem here is that home inspectors are generalists and there is some specific information that we may not know. JP points out the H2S requirements; however, unless you contact your gas supplier, you are not going to know what the local content is - and you cannot foresee if it will change sometime down the road. As a result, it is easiest to recommend it be changed out. Unless the gas supply for the whole house is plumbed with copper, the correction is straightforward.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    il
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: copper and natural gas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Don,

    The primary problem here is that home inspectors are generalists and there is some specific information that we may not know. JP points out the H2S requirements; however, unless you contact your gas supplier, you are not going to know what the local content is - and you cannot foresee if it will change sometime down the road. As a result, it is easiest to recommend it be changed out. Unless the gas supply for the whole house is plumbed with copper, the correction is straightforward.

    Thanks guys

    We were getting mixed messages and needed some clarification

    Don Hawley
    www.HawleyHomeInspectionsLLC.com


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •