Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,407

    Default Green Oxidation in Service Panel

    I saw something new today in a rural inspection. The home is a manufactured 2002 modular home. The pre-installed main panel is in the laundry. The exposed copper wiring is covered in a heavy green oxidation that is thick enough to flake off some. The sellers had an electrician evaluate it. They said he brushed it off some, but I saw little evidence of that. They said that he sprayed "something" on the wiring to prevent further oxidation. And in general, wasn't very concerned.

    At first, I thought this might be associated with using some harsh cleaning products regularly in the laundry room. But then, I found a Well Pro pellet chlorinator and charcoal filter system. The seller says that the well water has naturally occurring hydrogen sulfide and the Well Pro system is used to neutralize the rotten egg smell. So, while I'm curious about the possible connections with all of this to the oxidized wires, my biggest concern is whether this heavy oxidation is compromising the wiring in the service panel. Oh, and two of the GFCI breakers in the panel will not respond to their test button. Maybe, some cause and effect there, too. Could this oxidation be happening inside the breakers?

    I'm going to call for another electrician to evaluate this, in addition to making the needed repairs.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Green Oxidation in Service Panel

    Lon, I believe the Well Pro pellet chlorinator chlorine is the culprit. I have found oxidation in several panels in garages where the owner stores the pool chlorine or lawn fertilizer close to the panel. I would imagine the vapors would affect the metal on the breakers as well as the copper wiring.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Madison Heights, MI
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Green Oxidation in Service Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Burnett View Post
    Lon, I believe the Well Pro pellet chlorinator chlorine is the culprit. I have found oxidation in several panels in garages where the owner stores the pool chlorine or lawn fertilizer close to the panel. I would imagine the vapors would affect the metal on the breakers as well as the copper wiring.
    I've seen this and worse in rooms where swimming pool equipment was operating. High humidity and poor ventilation contribute to the problem. I would have the electrician looking at other wiring devices in that same space; receptacles, light switches, etc.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,407

    Default Re: Green Oxidation in Service Panel

    Good info. I've seen one pool house in the last ten years.

    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Green Oxidation in Service Panel

    I would have to agree with Matt on this. War story here. When I was a maintenance tech for Hilton Garden Inn's in Indy, we had the same problem with the electrical service panel. The chlorine vapors got so bad that we had to shut down the pool and spa area hire a certified electrician remove the service panel move it to a storage room that the vapors were not present. Nice project that took 2 days to complete. Oh yes, vapors.....I had to increase the ventilation system in the mechanical pool room because when they built the place guess they forgot to include the fresh air intake with auto shut and open louvers. It will take a long time for the electrician to clean the wires and the branch wiring and coat them with a product that is designed for that purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bezanson View Post
    I've seen this and worse in rooms where swimming pool equipment was operating. High humidity and poor ventilation contribute to the problem. I would have the electrician looking at other wiring devices in that same space; receptacles, light switches, etc.
    - - - Updated - - -

    I would have to agree with Matt on this. &nbsp;War story here. &nbsp;When I was a maintenance tech for Hilton Garden Inn's in Indy, we had the same problem with the electrical service panel. The chlorine vapors got so bad that we had to shut down the pool and spa area hire a certified electrician remove the service panel move it to a storage room that the vapors were not present. Nice project that took 2 days to complete. &nbsp;Oh yes, vapors.....I had to increase the ventilation system in the mechanical pool room because when they built the place guess they forgot to include the fresh air intake with auto shut and open louvers. &nbsp;It will take a long time for the electrician to clean the wires and the branch wiring and coat them with a product that is designed for that purpose. &nbsp;<br><br>
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bezanson View Post
    I've seen this and worse in rooms where swimming pool equipment was operating. High humidity and poor ventilation contribute to the problem. I would have the electrician looking at other wiring devices in that same space; receptacles, light switches, etc.
    <br>
    <br>


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •