Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Daniel Leung's Avatar
    Daniel Leung Guest

    Default Is this mold/mould treatment?

    From the City's record, this single house was a grow-op 8 years ago, but the owner seems know nothing when they moved in 6 years ago. There are no health concerns reported by the owner with children.
    Silver colour spray paint covers the floor joist and plank in basement, also under the stairs (see all photos). Some white paint on the original stubs (see the first photo taken from the furnace room). No mould or silver paint found in the attic and main floor. Are these paints for the mould treatment?

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Is this mold/mould treatment?

    I would say the silver paint was the grower's attempt to reflect heat and light back to the plants. Indoor air quality testing would probably be a good idea.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Is this mold/mould treatment?

    Silver paint is typically used to cover smoke damage, never heard of it for mold.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Is this mold/mould treatment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Silver paint is typically used to cover smoke damage, never heard of it for mold.
    I agree with Jim.

    In the first picture it looks like the 2x at the top has some checkering/alligatoring under the paint. The stringer on the stairs also look like they have some soot smudges. Might just be the way the flash bounced also...

    I would just report that you found silver paint and that this commonly used to cover smoke and soot from a fire. Tell them to check with the owner about a previous fire in the home.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •