Results 1 to 1 of 1
02-26-2013, 08:20 AM #1
Cryptococcus gatti is deadly
This story was in the news in the late 90's on Vancouver Island, when a few people died. They had all been to the same campsite near Parksville. Scientists are still working on how the fungus, native to Samoa and thereabouts, came to appear in this part of North America. It is a mould or fungus that is found in soil as a rule but can move into a human lung under the right circumstances. The funny thing is, nobody here is hysterical about it. Maybe if it grew on drywall we'd be flipping out more?
Here's a news story about the research going on.
Nanaimo News Bulletin - B.C. scientists to help American researchers study deadly fungus
Last edited by John Kogel; 02-26-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: better headingJohn Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455