Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default When was deck flashing first required?

    Does anyone know which code cycle first required flashing between the house and deck?

    Thanks!

    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: When was deck flashing first required?

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Does anyone know which code cycle first required flashing between the house and deck?

    Thanks!
    Flashing has always been required to keep water from entering and damaging the structure. It does not matter if it is a deck, a window, door, etc..

    I do not think decks were really addressed untill 2006 in R703.8

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  3. #3
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: When was deck flashing first required?

    Thanks!


  4. #4
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: When was deck flashing first required?

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Does anyone know which code cycle first required flashing between the house and deck?

    Thanks!
    Actually since the first deck was ever built. It was just that no one or hardly no one ever added it until someone told them they had to. It always amazes me how folks will do something a certain way until something in a book somewhere tells them they have to do it right


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: When was deck flashing first required?

    Is there any current IRC or other code language that mentions Z flashing at the ledger board?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: When was deck flashing first required?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Is there any current IRC or other code language that mentions Z flashing at the ledger board?
    Nope, not by name/design. R703.8 is about as close as it gets.

    Codes do not provide common sense, just the minimal requirement!

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    536

    Default Re: When was deck flashing first required?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Is there any current IRC or other code language that mentions Z flashing at the ledger board?
    Does it matter?

    Lack of proper flashing allows water to become trapped between the ledger board and structure, creating conditions favorable for accelerated decay and oxidation of fasteners, leading to premature failure of the structure. Required or not, premature failure of a structure is generally considered to be a Bad Thing™.

    I've heard that some municipalities are encouraging and even requiring freestanding designs because the ledger board connections are such a frequent failure point.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: When was deck flashing first required?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    Does it matter?

    Lack of proper flashing allows water to become trapped between the ledger board and structure, creating conditions favorable for accelerated decay and oxidation of fasteners, leading to premature failure of the structure. Required or not, premature failure of a structure is generally considered to be a Bad Thing™.

    I've heard that some municipalities are encouraging and even requiring freestanding designs because the ledger board connections are such a frequent failure point.

    That is exactly what I tell people when that ask me about code regarding the issue. I say, "code? .....you got water intrusion, I dont need code to say its wrong"

    I was just wondering if there was specific language written.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •