Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default what is the opening

    1st vent opening on the soffit above family room window; the 2nd pic shows 2 vents beside deck also on the family room wall. I can not clarify the usage of the 1st and 2nd picture upper vent. What I can imagine is fresh air intake for furnace in basement but it is really far away. please have a look.

    Thank you

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: what is the opening

    The two on the side of the home look like utility fan covers. Is there a basement bathroom? Did the kitchen have a ducted vent above the range? I can't get a good gauge of the first pic.

    Rob Jones
    Washington State Licensed Home Inspector #256
    www.washingtonhomeinspector.biz

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South-West Michigan
    Posts
    469

    Post Re: what is the opening

    What type of duct work was visible? What ducted appliances were present?

    Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: what is the opening

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    What type of duct work was visible? What ducted appliances were present?

    None visible. That is why?


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: what is the opening

    I have seen bath vents that vented like that.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: what is the opening

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have seen bath vents that vented like that.
    but inside are family rooms only. the bath far away from here; There is basement but not necessarily to open the vents that high, isn't it?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,339

    Default Re: what is the opening

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have seen bath vents that vented like that.
    I have too, in almost the same spot between the ceiling & floor.

    I've seen those vents routed "quite a ways" to reach the exterior, even if it exceeds allowable lengths.

    Dom.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: what is the opening

    Regarding 2nd & 3rd picture, those above and below operable window adjacent to picture window, and no mention of laundry facilities nor kitchen facilities (I note the reference to family roomS - in the plural, so I presume there are more than one dwelling unit contained or perhaps a "garden" level in-law suite below the deck/balcony:

    Locate the laundry areas including a suspected clothes dryer location on the second floor...basement apartment...or the "first" floor.

    Is there an enclosed (as to space - such as located in a "closet") fuel burning water heater?

    The area to the left...and/or above & below, and even towards the interior is/are there kitchen area(s)? ventops/microhoods, downdraft cooktops or ranges?

    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 02-01-2012 at 11:26 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: what is the opening

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Regarding 2nd & 3rd picture, those above and below operable window adjacent to picture window, and no mention of laundry facilities nor kitchen facilities (I note the reference to family roomS - in the plural, so I presume there are more than one dwelling unit contained or perhaps a "garden" level in-law suite below the deck/balcony:

    Locate the laundry areas including a suspected clothes dryer location on the second floor...basement apartment...or the "first" floor.

    Is there an enclosed (as to space - such as located in a "closet") fuel burning water heater?

    The area to the left...and/or above & below, and even towards the interior is/are there kitchen area(s)? ventops/microhoods, downdraft cooktops or ranges?
    Sorry, Family roomS mean both soffit opening pic1 and 2 openings on the wall right adjacent to the family rooms on different houses. Right, Pic 2, 3 house has a basement laundry right under family room. the lower opening could be dryer vent. there is no reason to vent any basement appliances from the top opening. Both houses have the kitchen right left to the family room. But both range hoods on the other side wall perpendicular to the wall in the pics. Therefore, I thought if the top opening and soffit opening are the combustible air inlets and the ducts go insde of the floor joists, it may be a good practice to warm up fresh air . I do not believe the stucture needs openings to get rid of moisture. These 2 houses are located in the notorious grow-op but high end family oriented place although I did not see anything else suspicious. Who knows.......


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: what is the opening

    They can be just passive vents. I find a lot of those in closets and such. You will see a whole variety of vent outlets on the exteriors. Inside, they look like small flying saucers on the walls or ceilings.
    The houses are built really tight, and they are locked up most of the time. Nobody leaves a window open, are you crazy? So the vents are there to let a bit of fresh air circulate. This is especially important for the first 6 months when most of the offgassing is going on. Sometimes people will stuff them with insulation.

    Last edited by John Kogel; 02-02-2012 at 07:29 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: what is the opening

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    They can be just passive vents. I find a lot of those in closets and such. You will see a whole variety of vent outlets on the exteriors. Inside, they look like small flying saucers on the walls or ceilings.
    The houses are built really tight, and they are locked up most of the time. Nobody leaves a window open, are you crazy? So the vents are there to let a bit of fresh air circulate. This is especially important for the first 6 months when most of the outgassing is going on. Sometimes people will stuff them with insulation.
    Yes John, normally see it in Condo but not very often in detached, especially a good practice for gas burner applied.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: what is the opening

    Could be an exterior radio/stereo speaker.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •