Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default downspout drain to window well

    First time I saw this. it looks like EPDM membrane under gravel. Downspout drains to the gravel. also downspouts drain above & underground in this building. Why did they build this single one like this?

    2001 detached.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: downspout drain to window well

    I would assume this runs down to the footing drains, along with the drain in the window well.

    Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: downspout drain to window well

    useing the footing drains is a bad idea and is the cause of many basement floods


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: downspout drain to window well

    Quote Originally Posted by Door Guy View Post
    I would assume this runs down to the footing drains, along with the drain in the window well.
    I saw standing water in the well when I open up the hose tap. possible open-up to window well. I cannot imagine Why it needed to go here to connect perimeter drain.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: downspout drain to window well

    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    useing the footing drains is a bad idea and is the cause of many basement floods
    most buildings in this way in this area


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: downspout drain to window well

    The downspouts should be directing the water as far away from the building as possible and I would not recommend that it go into the footing drains as they can get overloaded. Certainly into a window well area will lead to nothing good that I can think of.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: downspout drain to window well

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dennison View Post
    The downspouts should be directing the water as far away from the building as possible and I would not recommend that it go into the footing drains as they can get overloaded. Certainly into a window well area will lead to nothing good that I can think of.
    If they used solid pipe and ran it along side the footing drain to daylight, I don't see a problem with it. That would be better than running it on top of the ground. I agree, not a good idea to use the drain for gutters and over load it.

    Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •