Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Stephen G's Avatar
    Stephen G Guest

    Default Expansion foam in heatilator grills

    Question: Why would they plug up the heatilator with expansion foam or anything else for that matter. If it wont work as originaly designed because of the insert being installed, couldnt they have just changed the grills to one that closes. Is it that drafty with them open and un-used. I see many FPs but they have always been open. There shouldnt be fresh air, maybe the cold chimney behind it is transferring the cold..? thats what I am leaning towards..

    your thoughts

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Cool Re: Expansion foam in heatilator grills

    Fire hazard and must be removed regardless of what is burning in the fireplace. Shouldn't be getting cold air infiltration--should be convective loop from lower grilled over and around heat exchanger out upper grilles. Recommend remove foam then level II w/ scope to ensure air passageways intact and no visible combustibles in those airways. I usually find paper,cardboard, wood, etc. in them. The design needs to breathe. Blocking those vents can raise firebox temps.

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

  3. #3
    Stephen G's Avatar
    Stephen G Guest

    Default Re: Expansion foam in heatilator grills

    Thank you Bob.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Fire hazard and must be removed regardless of what is burning in the fireplace. Shouldn't be getting cold air infiltration--should be convective loop from lower grilled over and around heat exchanger out upper grilles. Recommend remove foam then level II w/ scope to ensure air passageways intact and no visible combustibles in those airways. I usually find paper,cardboard, wood, etc. in them. The design needs to breathe. Blocking those vents can raise firebox temps.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: Expansion foam in heatilator grills

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    Question: Why would they plug up the heatilator with expansion foam or anything else for that matter.

    After awhile, you stop asking "why".


  5. #5
    Stephen G's Avatar
    Stephen G Guest

    Default Re: Expansion foam in heatilator grills

    There are other question that I stopped asking

    I am trying to get experience for my WETT certification. I know a bunch on wood stoves and some combo furnaces but mnf install with heatilator isnt something I have come across to often...and filled with foam...

    The more you know eh




    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    After awhile, you stop asking "why".



  6. #6
    Lou Curley's Avatar
    Lou Curley Guest

    Default Re: Expansion foam in heatilator grills

    Also, check the manufacturer's instructions on the insert to see if it can be installed in a Heatilator and check the instructions on the Heatilator to see if an insert can be installed. (check both sets of instructions)


  7. #7
    Stephen G's Avatar
    Stephen G Guest

    Default Re: Expansion foam in heatilator grills

    I will be looking into the insert for just that. This is an onsite built fireplace and chimney, are you suggesting that the 'heatilator has install instructions as well. Home built in '66, I am going to be lucky to find info on the insert which may be just a little younger. The casting read: Dutch West.

    Good info Lou thanks.

    sdg

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Curley View Post
    Also, check the manufacturer's instructions on the insert to see if it can be installed in a Heatilator and check the instructions on the Heatilator to see if an insert can be installed. (check both sets of instructions)



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •