Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    1963 home with steelform fireplace. I don't understand what holds the liner tile up even though it has been there for 50 years, but it does not appear to be a problem. The gap at the corner of the steelform smoke chamber to liner connection has me more concerned. The wood framing through the roof in the attic has had a fire in the past. New wood sheathing (too small) suggest the problem has been addressed. Is the gap still a problem that needs to be repaired? Was it the reason for fire in the attic?

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,339

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Photo 2 looks like water damage, not fire.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Photo 2 looks like water damage, not fire.
    The wood is charred at the end of the header.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    You know Dom, I'm re-looking at this and wondering where the smoke went? The wood looks just like a piece of half burnt fire wood or charcoal, but you may be right!

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    1963 home with steelform fireplace. I don't understand what holds the liner tile up even though it has been there for 50 years, but it does not appear to be a problem. The gap at the corner of the steelform smoke chamber to liner connection has me more concerned. The wood framing through the roof in the attic has had a fire in the past. New wood sheathing (too small) suggest the problem has been addressed. Is the gap still a problem that needs to be repaired? Was it the reason for fire in the attic?
    I also think that looks like water damage.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Looks like a combination of water damage, and perhaps some type of resin being drawn out of the wood? Saw something very similar in my girlfriends attic.

    Can you smell any burnt wood or smoke in the attic?

    James Kollhopp
    www.WeInspectItHomeInspections.com
    "Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Quote Originally Posted by James Kollhopp View Post
    Looks like a combination of water damage, and perhaps some type of resin being drawn out of the wood? Saw something very similar in my girlfriends attic.

    Can you smell any burnt wood or smoke in the attic?
    No. That is why I am in agreement with the moisture damage, never seen it look so charred before though.

    What about the gap in the steelform smoke chamber to flue connection? Anybody!

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    The gap between the first flue tile and the terminus of the steelform's smoke chamber must be sealed. This is one of the major defects in these fireplaces. They did not engineer them to mate up with the normally used nominal flue tiles but rather the true sizes, which are larger. Thus, the supporting edge is often too small.

    A gap is a gap, whether from a missing flue tile, cracked flue tile, or missing mortar joint.

    The 'burn' patterns suggest the fire started above. Possibly a roof ignition or framing too close to chimney. Regardless, all damaged wood should be cut away and replaced. New work should meet stated clearances. Some signs of moisture damage, too. Did you test this darkened area with a knife or screwdriver? Try to scrape some char away and smell it? Is the wood sponge or crunchy at the darkened areas?

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Kinda looks like heat from the chimney caused the sap to bubble out of the wood along with water stains, but wasn't there to smell it


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Kinda looks like heat from the chimney caused the sap to bubble out of the wood along with water stains, but wasn't there to smell it
    Yeah I'm Smelling Something.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Creosote staining.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Creosote staining.
    ......

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    More wasted bandwidth.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    The gap between the first flue tile and the terminus of the steelform's smoke chamber must be sealed. This is one of the major defects in these fireplaces. They did not engineer them to mate up with the normally used nominal flue tiles but rather the true sizes, which are larger. Thus, the supporting edge is often too small.

    A gap is a gap, whether from a missing flue tile, cracked flue tile, or missing mortar joint.

    The 'burn' patterns suggest the fire started above. Possibly a roof ignition or framing too close to chimney. Regardless, all damaged wood should be cut away and replaced. New work should meet stated clearances. Some signs of moisture damage, too. Did you test this darkened area with a knife or screwdriver? Try to scrape some char away and smell it? Is the wood sponge or crunchy at the darkened areas?
    I did not scrape the area and now wish I had. I have supplemented the heating of my house with a fireplace for many years and the look of the wood was convincingly burnt. The wood had all the bumps and cracks of charred wood in my fireplace, though the pic's did not show it. The charred looking wood was on the back side of the framing and hard to get a picture of. This was a pre-listing inspection and the owners said they had only used the fireplace once since they bought the house, and I think they have owned it for 5-8 years. I recommended a full inspection by a licensed chimney sweep and pointed out the gap at the flue and the suspect wood framing.

    Thanks for the steelform information and I will surely poke and scrape next time.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    More wasted bandwidth.
    ......

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •