Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Creosote build up!

    This is some serious creosote build up, a chimney fire just waiting to happen. I would guess that some of this flue pipe may need to be replaced.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Creosote build up!

    From the looks of it, it already had a chimney fire. The expanded/puffy creosote is consistent with a chimney fire.

    A sweep and scan should be recommended along with a Level II inspection of the system.

    It is hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the chimney might be an air cooled chimney and not be an HT type chimney that should be used for what I assume is some type of wood stove.

    Last edited by Bo Tasso; 03-31-2014 at 03:59 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Default Re: Creosote build up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Tasso View Post
    From the looks of it, it already had a chimney fire. The expanded/puffy creosote is consistent with a chimney fire.

    A sweep and scan should be recommended along with a Level II inspection of the system.

    It is hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the chimney might be an air cooled chimney and not be an HT type chimney that should be used for what I assume is some type of wood stove.
    I would tend to agree with Bo but add that rain cap may not be the listed termination with that chimney system. Regardless, you ain't gonna remove 3rd degree glaze from a factory chimney without damage, which I suspect there is still some in there. Level II, pics as is, swab it, scope it, then replace the chimney. If confirm signs of an unfriendly fire, then it is an insurable loss. Most mfrs. will require replacement of chimney if signs/ symptoms of a chimney fire.

    Air cooled chimneys run too cool for modern woodstoves even if properly sized.

    This can not happen if the homeowner is burning properly and maintaining the system properly even if a POS stove into an air cooled chimney. BTW, most air cooled chimneys are rated 1,700F and therefore not suitable for woodstoves, which require 2,100F chimneys.

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Creosote build up!

    Wow..

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  5. #5

    Default Re: Creosote build up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Wow..
    I agree...WOW

    Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: Creosote build up!

    How did it taste?

    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •