Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    And the link would be?

    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

  3. #3
    Richard Rushing's Avatar
    Richard Rushing Guest

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Looks like you are going to have to 'Goad' him into posting it...

    RR


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,517

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Anything I've ever got supposedly for free took money from my pocket somehow.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Anything I've ever got supposedly for free took money from my pocket somehow.
    Yes, but the cost of dinner and a movie isn't that much.

    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

  6. #6
    Richard Rushing's Avatar
    Richard Rushing Guest

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Walker View Post
    Yes, but the cost of dinner and a movie isn't that much.

    Yeah... but it costs you every day thereafter.

    RR


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    536

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

  8. #8

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Sorry about that, but Erby beat me to it.
    Home Inspections Directory


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    25,317

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    John,

    Just curious here ...

    You have two posts, both regarding the homeinspectionsdirectory.com site, which is owned by Gary Conn, also in Clarksville, created May 30, 2007 ... you joined on June 4 suggesting it ...

    I only looked that information up because I got a feeling that the warm and fuzzies were connecting somewhere in Clarksville.

    Any connection to homeinspectionsdirectory.com? If so, you should be paying Brian is click through for all those who have gone there and joined.

    I clicked on some of your 'sponsors' and found that the stuff promoted by Ornamental Iron,Handrails and Gates does not meet code ... would you write them up? Just curious.

    I really hate it when I start looking at things, because I always find more than I start out looking for. But I just had that feeling on this one ...

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Michael Greenwalt's Avatar
    Michael Greenwalt Guest

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Well, they do have a NAHB logo, sorta like a roofers card; covers everything.
    Code, we don't need no stinking code!


  11. #11

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Home inspectors do not inspect according to code & are not supposed to quote code. If it is not safe or not done right I wright it up.
    What would you say about it?


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    25,317

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    Home inspectors do not inspect according to code & are not supposed to quote code.
    How says "not supposed to"? Kentucky is the only place I've heard of which specifically states 'no code on the initial inspection', but even they do not address 'subsequent inspections'.

    If it is not safe or not done right I wright it up.
    What would you say about it?
    I tell them it wrong, why it's wrong, and that it does not meet the *MINIMUM LIFE SAFETY* requirements of the code it was built under.

    That way, it is not *me* "saying it's wrong", it is *the code* "saying it's wrong".

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,829

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    Home inspectors do not inspect according to code & are not supposed to quote code. If it is not safe or not done right I wright it up.
    What would you say about it?
    I would say that you need to do what you are comfortable doing. If you do no have a comfort level with the codes, then you need to stay away until you do.

    John, you are no different than any newer inspector. You were taught the theory of not to quote codes in the home inspection school you attended. After a few years you will find yourself starting to forget what the schools taught and you will become a better inspector. You will develop your own style and I bet that you will even introduce a few codes into some of your reports. This is just part of the growing process in becoming an experienced inspector.

    Their are really only two things that home inspectors have to back up their findings. The first are Codes and the second are Manufacturers standards. You will find that if you can't back up your findings or statement that you are only spouting hearsay.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  14. #14

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Then you should be a code inspector & not a home inspector.
    The more I read your post directed at me the more I don't like how you have come across to me, yes I know Garry Conn he is a good web designer & I have no doubt that it will be one of the top directories. He is a good friend of mine & I told him I would do what I could to help him out, that is what I have to do with that site. As far as paying for the click throughs goes I guess somebody on this site owes homegauge some money because that is where I found out about this site.
    It is obvious that you have a superior attitude & think you know everything, me I have only been in the homebuilding business my entire life with hands on experience in every aspect, I worked my way through ministry school handling all the maintenance work for the largest real estate company in that area, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC & anything else that came up, but what do I know.
    I do know this, life is to short for this so I guess I'll just stick to the Homegauge message board cause it looks like you have the answers for everybody or at least the codes.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,829

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    Then you should be a code inspector & not a home inspector.
    The more I read your post directed at me the more I don't like how you have come across to me, yes I know Garry Conn he is a good web designer & I have no doubt that it will be one of the top directories. He is a good friend of mine & I told him I would do what I could to help him out, that is what I have to do with that site. As far as paying for the click throughs goes I guess somebody on this site owes homegauge some money because that is where I found out about this site.
    It is obvious that you have a superior attitude & think you know everything, me I have only been in the homebuilding business my entire life with hands on experience in every aspect, I worked my way through ministry school handling all the maintenance work for the largest real estate company in that area, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC & anything else that came up, but what do I know.
    I do know this, life is to short for this so I guess I'll just stick to the Homegauge message board cause it looks like you have the answers for everybody or at least the codes.
    Not to speak for Jerry, but..

    I think that you will find most of the "Charter" members of this discussion board and the other boards (TIJ) are fairly protective of folks advertising products or sites. The owners of the boards are only paid when folks advertise on their sites, and we try to help them when possible.

    John, I would not leave IN. You need to explore all of the boards, the knowledge and experience that you will find in them is better than any school or text book that one could find. I do not know anything about the Homegauge message board, so I can't say anything about it.

    Overtime you will learn the personalities of the folks on the boards, your skin will thicken and like a Duck the comments you don't agree with will roll off your back.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    John,
    I hope you don't leave. The only value of these boards is the value derived from questions and varying opinions.
    When you are offended, address the offender and let it go. There are several respondants on this board who I am certain I would never be casual buds with, and I'm certain the feeling is mutual. But, I have learned things here that have made me a better inspector and a better businesman.
    If you stick around, sooner or later, you too will spit in somebody's Cheerios. And you may not have even meant to. It does happen that JP is a code authority. That was his job. However, he is just as susceptible to being a pompous ass as are the rest of us. It's just a little harder to prove him wrong.
    I understand your having been offended by his earlier post. However, you set him straight regarding your integrity. Put some of that ministerial training to use and let it go. Keep contributing.

    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    25,317

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    John,

    As Scott said "The owners of the boards are only paid when folks advertise on their sites, and we try to help them when possible."

    The best way you can help your friend out is to pass along what you were told, that way he can get the benefit of this site and Brian's gets his click through fee to support this site.

    Anyone who come in here, says things, does not like the responses they get, then gets on their horse and rides back out, they are the one with the superiority complex - they cannot stand to be challenged, so they leave.

    ALL input on this (and other boards) is good input, sometimes you need to take it as it is written and sometimes you need to read between the lines.

    In this case, it was written plainly "If so, you should be paying Brian is click through for all those who have gone there and joined.", in this case, though, it is your friend who should be paying Brian for all those who have joined.

    Help him by having him contact Brian, that way it helps Brian help you.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  18. #18

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    I do have a comfort level with codes, I just don't have to use them to back up my findings. I just explain why it is wrong, that seems more beneficial to the client to me than just quoting them a code because you can quote a code & then they still do not know exactly why it is wrong.
    Don't get me wrong, it is good to know codes, but in my opinion there is so much more to it than that, I mean how do you think a code comes into existence? There is a reason for it being a code & that reason is what I believe they should hear & it is not hearsay it is the right way.
    I do not mind being challenged, my knowledge is solid, well rounded & I can hold my own.


  19. #19
    Richard Rushing's Avatar
    Richard Rushing Guest

    Default Re: New Home Inspectors Directory

    Here is where you were way off...
    "Then you should be a code inspector & not a home inspector."

    That statement was more of a knee-jerk reaction to what was perceived as a personal attack (which I did not take Jerry or Scott P to be doing) on you. The above statement (italics) appeared to be swinging like a blind-folded poster, trying to hit a piņata.

    Like it or not, our profession and the standards set up at the state level, all around the country, are based on codes. Without the knowledge of codes and the ability to access the information to back-up your findings, you can always be second-guessed by folks who have a stake in the sale or construction.

    By the way, that piņata you missed is a home inspector and a code compliance inspector.

    I too am one who looks for the 'free advertising' postings of folks who do their advertising on this board without Brian being compensated properly. We all use this site as a tool, just like you might with a hammer, to run our business. Since it's a free site, we want it to stay that way. In-order for it to stay that way, Brian gets compensation from the web-site's advertisers.

    Hope you will join us in helping with that endeavor.

    Richard Rushing


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •