Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    98

    Default New Roofs Coming With A Dangerous Problem

    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,217

    Default Re: New Roofs Coming With A Dangerous Problem

    For those that didn't read the article (or read this thread months from now when the link is dead) this is the gist of the article:

    There seems to be one common thread with the repairs. Amarro is seeing it happen in homes that have recently gotten a new roof. Some installers rip the vent cap from the roof decking, causing the vent piping below to separate. It's a hidden danger that most homeowners probably aren't aware of.
    That's not a new problem. I've been seeing it for years. Many roofers don't think (or care) about whether the metal chimney is connected once they finish reroofing. That's another good reason to get a permit when you reroof. (But, as we know, that is no guarantee the building inspector will catch it.)

    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: New Roofs Coming With A Dangerous Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    For those that didn't read the article (or read this thread months from now when the link is dead)

    Bruce,

    Good point on the link becoming dead in the future, so here is the text for those who have (or have not) read it.

    Tulsa - A new roof for some Tulsans has come with a potentially deadly side effect.

    Mark Amarro is a home heating expert who thought he's seen it all. But this year, he's noticing something different.

    "I've been having a lot of problems with vent pipes being disconnected," Amarro said.

    In fact, he's seen it happen in close to 30 homes in the just the past couple of weeks. He says it is a very alarming problem.

    This one was loose and laying on its side venting loose carbon monoxide into the attic here," Ammaro said, pointing to a pipe that he had recently repaired in a Tulsa attic.

    There seems to be one common thread with the repairs. Amarro is seeing it happen in homes that have recently gotten a new roof. Some installers rip the vent cap from the roof decking, causing the vent piping below to separate. It's a hidden danger that most homeowners probably aren't aware of.

    "A lot of folks keep Christmas ornaments, decorations and stuff in the attic, and if you turn on the furnace and never know it, it doesn't take much to pass out and not wake up."

    The best advice is to check your vent pipes. Ensure they are properly fastened and are sending the fumes outdoors especially is you've recently gotten a new roof.

    Since carbon monoxide is often called the silent killer, experts recommend that homeowners also equip themselves with a carbon monoxide detector, just to be safe.
    Maybe the video will show up on You Tube. Wonder if he always wears that silly hat?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: New Roofs Coming With A Dangerous Problem

    Yep, seen this numerous times.

    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo. area.
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: New Roofs Coming With A Dangerous Problem

    Here's a variation of the same problem. In this case, the home owner (who had died - no reason given) had installed a new electric water heater to take the place of his old gas unit. Unfortunately, he didn't think to cap off and seal where the old gas water heater's exhaust connected into the main vent stack. This thing was dumping CO into his house every time the furnace fired up. Makes you wonder what he died of!

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •