Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Hello,

    Who do you (home inspectors) market to the client or the realtor?

    If you donít mind sharing what marketing has worked the best for you?

    I just started my hi business in Nov. of 09 and things are finally starting to pick up. Do you guys have months that are really slow or maybe no inspections at all? If so do you have a side job for those slow times?

    What months are the slow ones?

    Have a great day and thank you for your time!
    mk

    Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    You started a new business during a period where home sales were the slowest in over a decade during the slowest months of the year?

    Home inspection 'season' is spring through fall. People want to put their house on the market in Spring with the hopes to sell by Summer so they can move during the Summer so the kids can start in the new school in the Fall. Oct/Nov through about Feb is the slow period of the year.

    Experienced home inspectors put aside money during the busy season to carry through the slow season. Sales still occur during the slow season, just fewer. The better your referral base, the better your marketing system, the more you stay busy.

    Several inspectors in my area have taken part time jobs during the last year to keep cash flowing. Over 300 inspectors did not renew they license last Oct due to the poor economy. We only 1400 to start with. Roughly 20% of the inspectors state wide quit at the time you started. Yeah, your business is probably really slow.

    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

  3. #3
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    You started a new business during a period where home sales were the slowest in over a decade during the slowest months of the year?

    Home inspection 'season' is spring through fall. People want to put their house on the market in Spring with the hopes to sell by Summer so they can move during the Summer so the kids can start in the new school in the Fall. Oct/Nov through about Feb is the slow period of the year.

    Experienced home inspectors put aside money during the busy season to carry through the slow season. Sales still occur during the slow season, just fewer. The better your referral base, the better your marketing system, the more you stay busy.

    Several inspectors in my area have taken part time jobs during the last year to keep cash flowing. Over 300 inspectors did not renew they license last Oct due to the poor economy. We only 1400 to start with. Roughly 20% of the inspectors state wide quit at the time you started. Yeah, your business is probably really slow.


    I thought you were suppose to get in when the markets down?? Never mind I think thatís the stock market.

    Things just happened this way. Maybe itís a good time. I donít have as much competition!
    Thank you for your answers!


  4. #4
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krueger View Post

    I thought you were suppose to get in when the markets down?? Never mind I think thatís the stock market.

    Things just happened this way. Maybe itís a good time. I donít have as much competition!
    Thank you for your answers!
    1. Google map placement

    2. Then probably paid adds that will get you at the top of the page. There are companies out there that can keep you at the top for flat fees and not pay per click. Look into that. Pay per click can be hell on the wallet. For a few hundred a month you can stay on top most of the time for your key words and not on the right column.

    3. The third would be organic search...it used to be number one. Be in the top three on organic search and you used to be very busy. Now it is the map for Google local business listings and then the paid adds at the top.

    4. To do better on 2 and three think about article submissions. That will give you a boost.

    5. Get into a job that pays well. Has retirement benefits . Pays full medical. This is like any business. Unless you bust your ass and constantly spend money you will not do well at all.



  5. #5
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    1. Google map placement

    2. Then probably paid adds that will get you at the top of the page. There are companies out there that can keep you at the top for flat fees and not pay per click. Look into that. Pay per click can be hell on the wallet. For a few hundred a month you can stay on top most of the time for your key words and not on the right column.

    3. The third would be organic search...it used to be number one. Be in the top three on organic search and you used to be very busy. Now it is the map for Google local business listings and then the paid adds at the top.

    4. To do better on 2 and three think about article submissions. That will give you a boost.

    5. Get into a job that pays well. Has retirement benefits . Pays full medical. This is like any business. Unless you bust your ass and constantly spend money you will not do well at all.
    Thank you Ted,

    I started working on the web site thing about a week ago (good advice). I have a site but it is not listed in the search enginesÖ Iím getting quotes now.

    I agree with some of #5. I worked at a few jobs factory, police officer, and city utility. They all had decent pay, great benefits, but I was not happy. Every inspection I schedule I schedule it when I want to do one. If I want the day off I donít schedule any for that day. I donít have to work nights 11-7a, weekends, or holidays. I donít have a boss telling me how to do my inspection or reportÖ I love working for myself. I do agree in order to be successful you have to work hard and it takes money to make money. I also would like to add AND treat your clients fair (do your best for each one of them). I am up for the challenge. I take pride in a job well done and a smile on my clients face because they know they received there monies worth. I love it!!

    Thanks again
    mk


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krueger View Post
    [
    I don’t have a boss telling me how to do my inspection or report… I love working for myself.
    You may want to consider doing some additional research on having your own business, opposed to having a boss.
    If you make it in this or any other business that deals directly with the customer, you will find it is far harder to please a few hundred customers a year, than 1 boss.

    If you are in a Lic. state, you will have the state telling how to do your inspection, and what is required in your inspection report.

    Last edited by Dan Harris; 04-09-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  7. #7
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    You may want to consider doing some additional research on having your own business, opposed to having a boss.
    If you make it in this or any other business that deals directly with the customer, you will find it is far harder to please a few hundred customers a year, than 1 boss.

    If you are in a Lic. state, you will have the state telling how to do your inspection, and what is required in your inspection report.
    So far after 6 months I've had no problems with clients. I enjoy working with them. I only see them once tooÖ However I do have some minor issues with realtors on occasion.

    Yes we do have to be licensed in WI so I have to follow the minimum standard which I donít see as a problem because I do way more anyway. I donít have a boss telling me I have to do just the standards or what extra things I should do. What report to use. What equipment to use, and many other things you donít have control over when you work for the man.

    Thank you for your thoughts
    Have a great day!
    mk


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    If you donít mind sharing what marketing has worked the best for you?

    I just started my hi business in Nov. of 09 and things are finally starting to pick up. Do you guys have months that are really slow or maybe no inspections at all? If so do you have a side job for those slow times?
    Do your marketing when you are slow. Here are more than 200 things you can do to grow your business If you aren't inspecting today... work on building your business. - InterNACHI

    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Do your marketing when you are slow. Here are more than 200 things you can do to grow your business [/url]
    Ahh Lisa..I believe you forgot what site you are on.
    Most of the professional home inspectors on this site, believe that it takes more skills to market home inspections, than what it takes to sell used cars, or alumium siding

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krueger View Post
    So far after 6 months I've had no problems with clients. I enjoy working with them. I only see them once tooÖ However I do have some minor issues with realtors on occasion.

    Yes we do have to be licensed in WI so I have to follow the minimum standard which I donít see as a problem because I do way more anyway. I donít have a boss telling me I have to do just the standards or what extra things I should do. What report to use. What equipment to use, and many other things you donít have control over when you work for the man.

    Thank you for your thoughts
    Have a great day!
    mk
    I'm not trying to discourage you. Just disclosing my experiences from the past 30 yrs of being self employed in service related business's

    If you think realtors are a concern, wait a few years when you have to deal with your customer when they have a problem, or go to sell their home and some newby inspector recommends additional evaluation on non existant defects, and a hungry contractor agrees that everything requiring additional evaluation needs to be replaced.

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  11. #11
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    If you want the best google listing Buy this name for your web site.

    ( www.Pulaskihomeinspection.com ) its Available. Dotster has it for sale $ 15.95 a year

    https://secure.dotster.com/DDS/?site...Domain&submit=


    Best

    Ron
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Most of the professional home inspectors on this site, believe that it takes more skills to market home inspections, than what it takes to sell used cars, or alumium siding
    That's pretty funny coming from you Dan, especially since you are a member of an association (ASHI) that has no entrance requirements and you are in a licensed state (Arizona) that has no continuing education requirements.

    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

  13. #13
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    That's pretty funny coming from you Dan, especially since you are a member of an association (ASHI) that has no entrance requirements and you are in a licensed state (Arizona) that has no continuing education requirements.
    Lisa Please stop. we have a guy that needs some help with home inspection Buz...

    Go above the BS.

    Best

    Ron


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    My apologies. Dan suckers me in every now and then.

    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

  15. #15
    Brian Johnson's Avatar
    Brian Johnson Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Word of Mouth is the best advertising money I ever spent!


  16. #16
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Johnson View Post
    Word of Mouth is the best advertising money I ever spent!
    What is word of the month??


  17. #17
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    If you want the best google listing Buy this name for your web site.

    ( www.Pulaskihomeinspection.com ) its Available. Dotster has it for sale $ 15.95 a year

    https://secure.dotster.com/DDS/?site...Domain&submit=


    Best

    Ron
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging
    Thank you Ron. I'm working with someone to hook me up..


  18. #18
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krueger View Post
    What is word of the month??
    OOOOOOOO word of mouth

    Do you advertise to realtors at all? Briing them candy, leave your brochures with them...


  19. #19
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Do your marketing when you are slow. Here are more than 200 things you can do to grow your business If you aren't inspecting today... work on building your business. - InterNACHI
    Thanks I will check this out!


  20. #20
    imported_John Smith's Avatar
    imported_John Smith Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Lisa, do you have a photo?


  21. #21
    imported_John Smith's Avatar
    imported_John Smith Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Maybe that didnt sound right. Dont misinterpret my request for a photo. I meant of the InterNachi propaganda. Maybe I should have said a .pdf.


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    I market directly to the potential client. I do it via website. My referrals from past clients are always growing as well.

    Make 'em love you it will get gradually better as time goes by.


  23. #23
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I market directly to the potential client. I do it via website. My referrals from past clients are always growing as well.

    Make 'em love you it will get gradually better as time goes by.
    Brown nose...

    Best

    Ron

    Just messing with ya John... Dang Dude...L.O.L.


  24. #24
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Yes.....................kiss................kiss.. ........................kiss.

    There is a lot to say about being a brown nose. Handle it right an d the world is at your door step. Handle it wrong and you land flat on your ass.


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Lisa, do you have a photo?
    Pics......pics........pics........pics..........


  26. #26
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Pics......pics........pics........pics..........

    Hm

    What's that all about?


  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    There is a lot to say about being a brown nose. Handle it right an d the world is at your door step. Handle it wrong and you land flat on your ass.
    Don't brown nose. You'll just smell s*&# the rest of the day.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  28. #28
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Don't brown nose. You'll just smell s*&# the rest of the day.
    That is a pretty disgusting pick there Rick. Sad but true but anyone of us that does not like someone but are nice to them anyway for the sake of future business is a brown nose


  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    My apologies. Dan suckers me in every now and then.
    Actually - INACHI does have a lot of marketing information for inspectors.

    There are people out there who will sell you a sure-fire method to become a million-dollar inspection business, all most overnight.

    I know one guy who has made more money selling a book on how to become a home inspector than he ever made inspecting.

    It takes 3 or more years to build up a viable business and you will have to hustle. It helps if you have a spouse who has a good career and makes decent money or you have no other expenses.

    Learning what works for you is a personal experience that only you can find. Oh, and you will probably have to work on weekends, holidays, or whatever to make it. At least for a while. Don't miss a phone call and don't tell a prospective client you can't talk to him or her - you can just keep it brief if you are in an inspection.

    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

  30. #30
    Nathan Butler's Avatar
    Nathan Butler Guest

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    In addition to stopping by the realtor offices to chat and refill the candy jar, I like to send little e-mail messages to the realtors and office managers. Granted a plain text e-mail is fine, but when I'm really trying to market a new service to just get the name recognized I'll send out an HTML e-mail that pops in as a webpage for a little more recognition.

    Unfortunately Microsoft Outlook and a log of the other e-mail programs don't let you send a webpage the way it is supposed to be. Being a creature of necessity, I wrote my own e-mail program that sends webpages from my website for example instead of just sending a "Where now doing business in your area" kind of e-mail they get something like this: Room and Rafter Home Inspection - Realtor in their e-mail.

    We all have to balance our income versus expense for almost every client, so I'm more than happy to let anyone use the software if they would like. It's function over form, so don't look for any super neat graphics.. just get in send it and get out. I also can't gurantee it will work with every e-mail service, but it does a good job with my sites that are hosted with GoDaddy.com

    One note - if you are sending it to multiple people make sure you seperate each address with a "," then a space. and you will need a little bit of information to do the setup. I'll help with what I can.
    http://www.roomandrafter.com/Software/HTMLSetup.msi


  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: What is the best way to market a hi business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Butler View Post
    In addition to stopping by the realtor offices to chat and refill the candy jar, I like to send little e-mail messages to the realtors and office managers.
    Thats so sweet!

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •