Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Out of Buisness

  1. #1
    William Campbell's Avatar
    William Campbell Guest

    Default Out of Buisness

    Well, I'm not really new here, but it has been a while since I posted. Thanks to the new Texas law about requiring E&O Insurance, I have made the decision to let my TREC Licenses expire, as I can not afford the insurance. Is there a thread on IN where we can offer tools for sale? I have some unused inspection tools that I don't need and could really use the money. Thanks Willie

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Quote Originally Posted by William Campbell View Post
    Well, I'm not really new here, but it has been a while since I posted. Thanks to the new Texas law about requiring E&O Insurance, I have made the decision to let my TREC Licenses expire, as I can not afford the insurance. Is there a thread on IN where we can offer tools for sale? I have some unused inspection tools that I don't need and could really use the money. Thanks Willie
    Most of the inspectors that have been getting out of business have been hitting Ebay. I have picked up several items off of Ebay from guys who have closed their doors, from all over the country.

    I would just post a list of items and the price you want on this thread.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  3. #3
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Sorry to hear it. What are you planning on doing for a living?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    William,

    Hate to hear your leaving the business.

    Is your choice strictly because of the insurance? I've heard that some providers have programs less than 1500. a year. Thats just a little over a 100. a month.

    Were you doing HI's on a full time basis, or just part time?

    I know its tough out there right now in Real Estate market for many.

    Best of Luck to you in whatever you decide to move forward into.

    Rick


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    William, you might want to put your license on "Inactive" rather than letting it expire to preserve your future options.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  6. #6
    William Campbell's Avatar
    William Campbell Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Thanks to all for your replies. My license expired 12-31-08. I am going back into what I call "termite displacements". Take out the rot and replace it with new tastier lumber.
    I wasn't sure if I could post items for sale on this thread. I guess if Brian wants to he can repost it for me.
    What I have is a Tramex wet wall detecter, a carbon monoxide tester, and a freon sniffer. I was wanting $1000.00 for all three tools. The tramex wet wall detector sells for a $1000 by its self. I have not used any of these tools. If need be anyone can e-mail me or call me on my cell 361-229-4103 Thanks again Willie


  7. #7
    LARRY BATTARBEE's Avatar
    LARRY BATTARBEE Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Willie, if it helps, we have a policy that satisfies TREC. I know Rockport is slow right now.

    This month, Ace Westchester is offering, in addition to their current policy, a new restrictive coverage policy, excluding: punitive or exemplary or multiplied damages; code compliance; swimming pool, hot tub, whirl pool, sauna, steam room, or similar apparatus; waste disposal system, septic tanks; bodily injury and property damage; and security systems. Ace includes coverage for WDI visual inspections. The pure premium is only $750 plus fees and can be paid monthly. TREC has stated, despite the exclusions, this policy does meet the TREC insurance requirement.

    Please feel free to contact me at any time (903) 723-3202 or LBATTAR@ATTGLOBAL.NET.


  8. #8
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Quote Originally Posted by LARRY BATTARBEE View Post
    Willie, if it helps, we have a policy that satisfies TREC. I know Rockport is slow right now.

    This month, Ace Westchester is offering, in addition to their current policy, a new restrictive coverage policy, excluding: punitive or exemplary or multiplied damages; code compliance; swimming pool, hot tub, whirl pool, sauna, steam room, or similar apparatus; waste disposal system, septic tanks; bodily injury and property damage; and security systems. Ace includes coverage for WDI visual inspections. The pure premium is only $750 plus fees and can be paid monthly. TREC has stated, despite the exclusions, this policy does meet the TREC insurance requirement.

    Please feel free to contact me at any time (903) 723-3202 or LBATTAR@ATTGLOBAL.NET.
    Typical blatant, shameless marketing tactics of the common insurance drain fly.


  9. #9
    LARRY BATTARBEE's Avatar
    LARRY BATTARBEE Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Mr. Miller,

    It is most unfortunate you were offended. Your fellow inspector is going out of business because of insurance cost. Rick Hurst was kind enough to inform him of a $1500 alternative which is ok with you and commendable. However, when an insurance agent offers a solution for half of that, so the man can possibly keep his profession, he is shameless? Perhaps you might rethink who is trying, and has the ability, to help your fellow inspector.


  10. #10
    David Argabright's Avatar
    David Argabright Guest

    Lightbulb Re: Out of Buisness

    He did put a nice big smiley face at the end of his post. Maybe he was just yanking your chain?

    Do you have that coverage in Ohio?


  11. #11
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Out of Business

    Quote Originally Posted by LARRY BATTARBEE View Post
    Mr. Miller,

    It is most unfortunate you were offended. Your fellow inspector is going out of business because of insurance cost. Rick Hurst was kind enough to inform him of a $1500 alternative which is ok with you and commendable. However, when an insurance agent offers a solution for half of that, so the man can possibly keep his profession, he is shameless? Perhaps you might rethink who is trying, and has the ability, to help your fellow inspector.
    Insurance Man: David's attempt to put a PC spin on my comment to you notwithstanding, I meant exactly what I said. Mr. Campbell stated that he was out of business and not interested in re-entering the profession. His license expired in January. He is out of the profession, plain and simple.

    You, on the other hand, are like the perennial ambulance-chasing do-gooder wannabe In-shaw-nz Man. Offering pie in the sky for much more than a pittance. Nothing less than a Baptist preacher in training.

    One of my favorite quotes by one of my favorite writers:

    "I have seen an entire family lifted out of poverty and into affluence by the simple boon of a broken leg. I have had people come to me on crutches, with tears in their eyes, to bless this beneficient institution. In all my experiences of life, I have seen nothing so seraphic as the look that comes into a freshly mutilated man's face when he feels in his vest pocket with his remaining hand and finds his accident ticket all right."
    - Mark Twain's Speech on accident insurance, 1874


  12. #12
    William Campbell's Avatar
    William Campbell Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Once again, I thank everyone for your replies. As I stated, my licence is expired as of Jan. 1. I was not able to fins a company that would take monthly payments from a first time coverage request. What I found was $3500 a year. Yes, would like to think of myself a a full time inspector. The clients that I recieved were very thankful that they called me. The agents on the other hand blackballed me. One agent told my client that I "was the most anal inspector that she ever met."
    I did not intend to get anything started with this thread. But I also don't have a high opinion of insurance agents as I believe that they are the reason laws like these get passed. They see a possible market and since they want more money,,,they lobby to get stupid laws passed that either put people out of buisness or make the market price go up so that not every one can afford your service.

    Bottom Line---GREED


  13. #13
    Carl Winters's Avatar
    Carl Winters Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    William we understand you have to do what you have to do, the very best to you. Times are tough and until things smooth out it will be awhile before it gets back to normal. Hope you sell your tools quickly. Try Craig's list; maybe someone in Corpus might be interested.


  14. #14
    Jim Zborowski's Avatar
    Jim Zborowski Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Does Texas allow a grace period in whick you pay a nominal fine for late lic. fee ? You may still be able to save your lic.
    Illinois allows it.


  15. #15
    Al Pirro's Avatar
    Al Pirro Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    What kind of home inspection tools are you offering?
    What are your prices.
    My name is Al Pirro My busiiness name is ALL HOUSE HOME INSPECTIONS INC.


  16. #16
    MaMa Mount's Avatar
    MaMa Mount Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Pirro View Post
    What kind of home inspection tools are you offering?
    What are your prices.
    My name is Al Pirro My busiiness name is ALL HOUSE HOME INSPECTIONS INC.

    All House Home Inspections? Now that is truly original. Doesn't make any sense. I'm sure it will get you at the front of the listings in the phone book.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Quote Originally Posted by William Campbell View Post
    The agents on the other hand blackballed me. One agent told my client that I "was the most anal inspector that she ever met."
    I wear that like a badge of success. We actually need more inspectors like you.....uhhh, and me.


  18. #18
    Mitchell Toelle's Avatar
    Mitchell Toelle Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Pirro View Post
    What kind of home inspection tools are you offering?
    What are your prices.
    My name is Al Pirro My busiiness name is ALL HOUSE HOME INSPECTIONS INC.
    Read thread number 6 Al.


  19. #19
    Mitchell Toelle's Avatar
    Mitchell Toelle Guest

    Default Re: Out of Buisness

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I wear that like a badge of success. We actually need more inspectors like you.....uhhh, and me.
    I'm thinking I might like to have some of those "anal" badges made up. I agree, being call anal or picky is not a bad thing at all.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •