Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Jonathan Cartwright's Avatar
    Jonathan Cartwright Guest

    Default What is this "alarm device"?

    I saw this device mounted on the wall in the furnace closet adjacent to the garage. I'm guessing that it my be for a fire alarm type system but I have not ever seen one like this.Please let me know more about this. Thank you.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Holladay, UT
    Posts
    565

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    Looks like a heat sensor for fire rather than smoke detector. Not sure.

    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Cool Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    If you blow up your pic you can read the label where it states it is a fire alarm rated at 135*F.
    HTH

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    If you blow up your pic you can read the label where it states it is a fire alarm rated at 135*F.
    HTH
    Actually ... it states Alarm Device Mfg Co and then 135 degrees F Open Circuit.

    Which indicates to me that it is a heat sensor as Tom said which opens the circuit it is on at 135 degrees F.

    That would then shut down whatever it is connected to, probably the furnace.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    As the others said, heat detectors. Looks like Rate of rise detectors.
    The way these are mounted and the type of cable used, they are almost, if not completely useless.
    Before they would trigger an alarm, you would have
    (insert # of occupants) dead people.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    "Actually ... it states Alarm Device Mfg Co "

    Alarm Device Mfg Co = ADM/ Ademico

    "and then 135 degrees F Open Circuit Which indicates to me that it is a heat sensor as Tom said which opens the circuit it is on at 135 degrees F. "

    On fire alarm circuits, the circuit is Normally OPEN, and Closed on Alarm.
    So the label is saying it is an open circuit


    It's about time we talked about something I have at least some knowledge of.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    " I saw this device mounted on the wall in the furnace closet "

    That is the proper type detector for that location.
    But still not installed properly.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    I've seen similar devices controlling a smoke damper in the the duct when the furnace was installed in the basement/garage of a 3 story townhouse. Is that what this one is controlling?


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "Actually ... it states Alarm Device Mfg Co "

    Alarm Device Mfg Co = ADM/ Ademico

    "and then 135 degrees F Open Circuit Which indicates to me that it is a heat sensor as Tom said which opens the circuit it is on at 135 degrees F. "

    On fire alarm circuits, the circuit is Normally OPEN, and Closed on Alarm.
    So the label is saying it is an open circuit


    It's about time we talked about something I have at least some knowledge of.
    Glad somebody knows what they are talking aobut.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    "Glad somebody knows what they are talking aobut. "

    Due to a previous post (you may remember),
    I did not say I know what I'm talking about,
    only that, I have at least SOME KNOWLEDGE of.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  11. #11
    Jonathan Cartwright's Avatar
    Jonathan Cartwright Guest

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I've seen similar devices controlling a smoke damper in the the duct when the furnace was installed in the basement/garage of a 3 story townhouse. Is that what this one is controlling?
    I do not know what this controls. I was doing a termite inspection and just found this thing curious.

    Have a great day.

    Jonathan


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Cool Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    As for location, it is too close to the corner. Whether mounted on ceiling or wall, you tend to get a cold corner effect as heated gases mushroom up. If they mushroom from the center of the room, they push out to near the wall then push down avoiding the corner. If the fire is located near the wall, it rises up the wall then curls out to the ceiling again avoiding the wall. There is an eddy churning in those corners, which makes them poor choices for ANY type of sensor or alarm.

    Most alarms use 18" down or out as the min. std. from a corner.

    OK, it is a Heat Sensor to/ used as a fire alarm-- howzzzat?

    Ditto on the N.O. circuit. What woudl be interesting to see is if this is 110vac or 24vac. If you trace it back there should be a panel where you can tell what it is. There should be a sticker with the contact info. for the alarm co.. Also, there should be some sort of visual and audible signals throughout the home. I guess it could be connected only to the heater without audible/ visual alarms signals but that wouldn't be very effective. In that case, I'm betting it is wired N.C. to the power to the heater. Please advise us if you find out.
    Thx,

    Bob

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Most alarms use 18" down or out as the min. std. from a corner.
    The requirement for fire alarms and smoke detectors is minimum 4" from the edge of the unit to the wall if ceiling mounted, or minimum 4" from the edge of the unit to the ceiling if wall mounted.

    So, yes, those are too close.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    "What would be interesting to see is if this is 110vac or 24vac."
    110VAC Notta, Low Voltage wire (<30v), not 110v
    24VAC Notta, alarms are DC
    24VDC Could be, but not likely as most 24v systems are only installed in large fire detection systems
    12VDC Most likely
    6VDC Due to the apparent age, could be.


    "I guess it could be connected only to the heater...
    In that case, I'm betting it is wired N.C. to the power to the heater."

    Cannot be wired NC, only NO, but could be wired to a relay/controller that would do the same thing as being NC.


    The 125vac/ 1 amp is the rating of the contact, not the operating voltage

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    It's been a VERY long time since I actually read it, so I may be incorrect.

    BETWEEN 4"-12" down from ceiling on walls and 12"or> from corner of wall.

    When mounted on the ceiling ,
    within the uppermost 1/3 and 4"or> from wall.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Default Re: What is this "alarm device"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "What would be interesting to see is if this is 110vac or 24vac."
    110VAC Notta, Low Voltage wire (<30v), not 110v
    24VAC Notta, alarms are DC
    24VDC Could be, but not likely as most 24v systems are only installed in large fire detection systems
    12VDC Most likely
    6VDC Due to the apparent age, could be.


    "I guess it could be connected only to the heater...
    In that case, I'm betting it is wired N.C. to the power to the heater."

    Cannot be wired NC, only NO, but could be wired to a relay/controller that would do the same thing as being NC.


    The 125vac/ 1 amp is the rating of the contact, not the operating voltage
    And you just thought we hired you for your good looks!

    Yes, if lower voltages, it would be N.O. through a relay and yes, DC---cerebral flatulence...

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •