Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: Plainspoken HVAC Tech
08-21-2009, 09:24 AM #1
08-21-2009, 12:04 PM #2
Re: Plainspoken HVAC Tech
- M1305.1 Appliance access for inspection service, repair and replacement. Appliances shall be accessible for inspection, service, repair and replacement without removing permanent construction, other appliances, or any other piping or ducts not connected to the appliance being inspected, serviced, repaired or replaced. A level working space at least 30 inches deep and 30 inches wide (762 mm by 762 mm) shall be provided in front of the control side to service an appliance. Installation of room heaters shall be permitted with at least an 18-inch (457 mm) working space. A platform shall not be required for room heaters.
From the IMC.
- 306.5 Equipment and appliances on roofs or elevated structures. Where equipment and appliances requiring access are installed on roofs or elevated structures at a height exceeding 16 feet (4877 mm), such access shall be provided by a permanent approved means of access, the extent of which shall be from grade or floor level to the equipment and appliances’level service space. Such access shall not require climbing over obstructions greater than 30 inches (762 mm) high or walking on roofs having a slope greater than 4 units vertical in 12 units horizontal (33-percent slope).
- - Permanent ladders installed to provide the required access shall comply with the following minimum design criteria:
- - - 1. The side railing shall extend above the parapet or roof edge not less than 30 inches (762 mm).
- - - 2. Ladders shall have rung spacing not to exceed 14 inches (356 mm) on center.
- - - 3. Ladders shall have a toe spacing not less than 6 inches (152 mm) deep.
- - - 4. There shall be a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) between rails.
- - - 5. Rungs shall have a minimum 0.75-inch (19 mm) diameter and be capable of withstanding a 300-pound (136.1 kg) load.
- - - 6. Ladders over 30 feet (9144 mm) in height shall be provided with offset sections and landings capable of withstanding 100 pounds (488.2 kg/m2) per square foot.
- - - 7. Ladders shall be protected against corrosion by approved means.
- - Catwalks installed to provide the required access shall be not less than 24 inches (610 mm) wide and shall have railings as required for service platforms.
- - - Exception: This section shall not apply to Group R-3 occupancies.
- - - 306.5.1 Sloped roofs. Where appliances, equipment, fans or other components that require service are installed on a roof having a slope of three units vertical in 12 units horizontal (25-percent slope) or greater and having an edge more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at such edge, a level platform shall be provided on each side of the appliance to which access is required for service, repair or maintenance. The platform shall be not less than 30 inches (762 mm) in any dimension and shall be provided with guards. The guards shall extend not less than 42 inches (1067 mm) above the platform, shall be constructed so as to prevent the passage of a 21-inch-diameter (533 mm) sphere and shall comply with the loading requirements for guards specified in the International Building Code.
- - - 306.5.2 Electrical requirements. A receptacle outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment location in accordance with the ICC Electrical Code.
08-21-2009, 12:31 PM #3