Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Daniel Island, SC.
    Posts
    230

    Default Partial Pan under Gas air/handler

    Inspected a house that had a partial pan under where the refrigeration lines came in the gas air handler. I wrote that it should be a full sized pan under there. I am now being challenged by the HVAC guy that installed the unit. He says since it is a natural gas unit then only a partial pan is needed under the condensation and refrigeration lines. What is right here?


    Jim Murphy

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Partial Pan under Gas air/handler

    Jim,

    Because the duct between the two goes downhill from the evaporator coil, I would want a pan under the entire thing.

    If he raised the gas furnace so the connecting duct went downhill to the evaporator coil, then any leakage would drain back into the pan under the coil.

    Also, I don't see a sediment trap for the gas line - this is required.

    The ducts coming off the coil to the duct trunk line looks all screwed up - what's with it?

    There is also no trap in the primary condensate line (which is also not insulated), and there is no secondary condensate line to drain to the auxiliary pan below the coil (which means that any overflow water will saturate the insulation around the coil cabinet, making that insulation useless and needing to be replaced).

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Daniel Island, SC.
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Partial Pan under Gas air/handler

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Jim,

    Because the duct between the two goes downhill from the evaporator coil, I would want a pan under the entire thing.

    If he raised the gas furnace so the connecting duct went downhill to the evaporator coil, then any leakage would drain back into the pan under the coil.

    Also, I don't see a sediment trap for the gas line - this is required.

    The ducts coming off the coil to the duct trunk line looks all screwed up - what's with it?

    There is also no trap in the primary condensate line (which is also not insulated), and there is no secondary condensate line to drain to the auxiliary pan below the coil (which means that any overflow water will saturate the insulation around the coil cabinet, making that insulation useless and needing to be replaced).
    Thanks Jerry, I reported the gas line and the secondary condensate line to the pan. It also did not have one from the pan out. I see what you are talking about with the trunk lines. Not sure. Maybe the picture makes look distorted.

    Talked to my customer a few minutes ago. The HVAC techician sent a letter on company stationary warranting the work including stating it was an 80% efficient unit. I asked what is going to happen to the other 20%. It turns out that the seller is standing by the HVAC person and not giving in. My customer is going to give in and fix it himself. Obviously it is a bluff from the HVAC tech and he will win. BTW, his Dad is a contractor and agrees with my accessment.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •