Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Screen needed

  1. #1
    Ryan Stouffer's Avatar
    Ryan Stouffer Guest

    Default Screen needed

    This is the exhaust for a high efficiency furnace. It is located on the roof. Does it need a screen?

    Thanks,

    Ryan

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Ryan Stouffer's Avatar
    Ryan Stouffer Guest

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Any info. on needing a cover for this?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Screen needed

    You would have to consult the manufacturer, but my first thought is no screen. If it needed a screen, the manufacturer would have provided one. I would guess that any modification to the vent would be prohibited.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  4. #4
    Ryan Stouffer's Avatar
    Ryan Stouffer Guest

    Default Re: Screen needed

    I thought the same thing but I wanted to make certain. Thanks


  5. #5
    Chuck Lambert's Avatar
    Chuck Lambert Guest

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    This is the exhaust for a high efficiency furnace. It is located on the roof. Does it need a screen?

    Thanks,

    Ryan
    You can check the manufacturers web site.

    The PVC should be painted to protect it from UV light

    Chuck


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Whenever I run into stuff like this I grab the manual (if available) or run the model number through Google and you will usually get right to the manual.

    These hi-efficiency furance vents do a vary a lot - Some with openings facing up, some down, some sideways, screened, not screened, etc.

    One thing for sure is you can't paint them all with a broad brush. Get the model # and check out the manufacturer's specs. I can't say I do it on everyone. Usually, just if something else with the install or the house makes me suspicious.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Screen needed

    I never saw one wearing a hat before.
    Just curious where they placed the air intake as you do not have the same concern for it and best practice would be to have it in the same area.

    (Hoping it is not in some small utility closet with the water heater.)


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    I never saw one wearing a hat before.
    Just curious where they placed the air intake as you do not have the same concern for it and best practice would be to have it in the same area.
    Bob,

    I suspect the air intake is taken in under the "hat" and into a concentric space between the inner pipe and an outer pipe.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Bob,

    I suspect the air intake is taken in under the "hat" and into a concentric space between the inner pipe and an outer pipe.
    Hmmm
    Would that not violate a minimum distance between the two.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Hmmm
    Would that not violate a minimum distance between the two.

    Not if it is listed that way.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not if it is listed that way.
    Jerry every high eff PDF install Manuel I have seen states 18" min space between air intake and exhaust on sch 40.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Haven't seen an HVAC equipment manufacturer yet that doesn't approve that type of concentric vent termination.

    Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Haven't seen an HVAC equipment manufacturer yet that doesn't approve that type of concentric vent termination.
    David you may be right as here is an excerpt from a vent install PDF for a high efficiency furnace.
    Concentric Vent Termination
    Concentric vent termination kits are approved for
    use with these furnaces. The kit part numbers
    are 904176 (3 inch) and 904177 (2 inch). For
    proper installation of the concentric vent termination,
    follow the installation instructions provided
    with that ki
    t

    Guess I never understood how they work in order to not cause pressure imbalance or get around the 18 inch rule.

    schedule 40 vent termination.gif

    Can someone explain this for a primitive caveman?


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    get around the 18 inch rule.
    Because they have been tested, listed, and labeled for that use.

    The testing shows they function in the manner in which they were designed. Which is what the 18" is trying to accomplish for unlisted other installations.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    David you may be right as here is an excerpt from a vent install PDF for a high efficiency furnace.
    Concentric Vent Termination
    Concentric vent termination kits are approved for
    use with these furnaces. The kit part numbers
    are 904176 (3 inch) and 904177 (2 inch). For
    proper installation of the concentric vent termination,
    follow the installation instructions provided
    with that ki
    t

    Guess I never understood how they work in order to not cause pressure imbalance or get around the 18 inch rule.

    schedule 40 vent termination.gif

    Can someone explain this for a primitive caveman?
    I can explain how they are "supposed" to work Bob.
    Doesn't mean it will always do what it's supposed to.

    The opening is the discharge of the flue gas from the furnace, it is supposed to be exhausted far enough away from the intake air (underneath) that it will have no ill effects on the combustion process.

    The standard termination only discharges flue gas down or up and down depending on manufacturers instructions and could short circuit if not for this distance in between.

    Wind can also make these termination due some nutty stuff especially if they are near an inside corner of the building.

    Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I can explain how they are "supposed" to work Bob.
    Doesn't mean it will always do what it's supposed to.

    The opening is the discharge of the flue gas from the furnace, it is supposed to be exhausted far enough away from the intake air (underneath) that it will have no ill effects on the combustion process.

    The standard termination only discharges flue gas down or up and down depending on manufacturers instructions and could short circuit if not for this distance in between.

    Wind can also make these termination due some nutty stuff especially if they are near an inside corner of the building.
    I suppose if ok with manufacturer I can"t put up a stink , but sure will be looking for a good excuse to write them up if if I find one.


  17. #17
    Richard Pultar's Avatar
    Richard Pultar Guest

    Default Re: Screen needed

    what about that exhaust within ten feet of the attic vent


  18. #18
    Phil Brody's Avatar
    Phil Brody Guest

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Maybe it's functioning as a storm collar ?


  19. #19
    Phil Brody's Avatar
    Phil Brody Guest

    Default Re: Screen needed

    err what I meant was collar is to prevent water from entering outer pipe, no screen if not supplied from the manufacture, overtime the screen can reduce flow b/c of dirt etc. accumulating.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pultar View Post
    what about that exhaust within ten feet of the attic vent
    Richard,

    I believe you are thinking of plumbing vent terminals.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  21. #21
    Phil Brody's Avatar
    Phil Brody Guest

    Default Re: Screen needed

    Richard makes a good point. If there is a concern about waste gases entering through an attic vent, what about byproducts of combustion from a burner ?


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Screen needed

    - G2427.8 (503.8) Venting system termination location.
    The location of venting system terminations shall comply with the following (see Appendix C):
    - - 1. A mechanical draft venting system shall terminate at least 3 feet (914 mm) above any forced-air inlet located within 10 feet (3048 mm).
    - - -
    Exceptions:

    - - - - 1. This provision shall not apply to the combustion air intake of a direct-vent appliance.
    - - - - 2. This provision shall not apply to the separation of the integral outdoor air inlet and flue gas discharge of listed outdoor appliances.
    - - - - - 2. A mechanical draft venting system, excluding direct-vent appliances, shall terminate at least 4 feet (1219 mm) below, 4 feet (1219 mm) horizontally from, or 1 foot (305 mm) above any door, operable window, or gravity air inlet into any building. The bottom of the vent terminal shall be located at least 12 inches (305 mm) above grade.
    - - - - 3. The vent terminal of a direct-vent appliance with an input of 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) or less shall be located at least 6 inches (152 mm) from any air opening into a building, and such an appliance with an input over 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) but not over 50,000 Btu per hour (14.7 kW) shall be installed with a 9-inch (230 mm) vent termination clearance, and an appliance with an input over 50,000 Btu/h (14.7 kW) shall have at least a 12-inch (305 mm) vent termination clearance. The bottom of the vent terminal and the air intake shall be located at least 12 inches (305 mm) above grade.
    - - - - 4. Through-the-wall vents for Category II and IV appliances and noncategorized condensing appliances shall not terminate over public walkways or over an area where condensate or vapor could create a nuisance or hazard or could be detrimental to the operation of regulators, relief valves, or other equipment. Where local experience indicates that condensate is a problem with Category I and III appliances, this provision shall also apply.



    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •