Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 65 of 80
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    McKinney Texas
    Posts
    475

    Default How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    I am going an inspection on a foreclosure and the control half of the thermostat is missing. The thermostat base and wiring is visibile, but the control part is missing. I am inspecting this house for a friend and the house is pretty bad shape. He just asked me if I can at least put jumper wires on the unit to find out if the unit will even operate. Anyone know if this is possible and any tips of starting this HVAC up without an thermostat?

    Thanks

    Gene

    Similar Threads:
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I am going an inspection on a foreclosure and the control half of the thermostat is missing. The thermostat base and wiring is visibile, but the control part is missing. I am inspecting this house for a friend and the house is pretty bad shape. He just asked me if I can at least put jumper wires on the unit to find out if the unit will even operate. Anyone know if this is possible and any tips of starting this HVAC up without an thermostat?

    Thanks

    Gene
    the Red wire is 28v
    the Green wire is Indoor fan
    the Yellow wire is Compressor
    the White wire is Heat
    the Orange wire is the SOV (switch over valve) for heat pumps
    the Black wire is Emergency or Secondary Heat " " "

    Jumper what you want to happen to the Red wire. e.g.

    Red to Green and Yellow for normal air-conditioner to run.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,478

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    If it is for a friend, then that is one thing. But I have had experience with doing that sort of thing and can tell you that it is a can of worms if the agent sees you do this.

    Several years ago, I had a wall heater that would not operate, so I put a jumper to see if it was the heater or the thermostat. The heater still did not operate, but the agent (who did not understand what I had done) mentioned it to the listing agent and it got back to the seller who demanded that I replace the heater because I "broke" it. Didn't and didn't. But, I also will not do anything other than operate the thermostat any longer.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I am going an inspection on a foreclosure and the control half of the thermostat is missing. The thermostat base and wiring is visibile, but the control part is missing. I am inspecting this house for a friend and the house is pretty bad shape. He just asked me if I can at least put jumper wires on the unit to find out if the unit will even operate. Anyone know if this is possible and any tips of starting this HVAC up without an thermostat?

    Thanks

    Gene
    Vern has shown you the way to do it. But, I had the exact same scenario last week except it was not for a friend.... I told my client that I could not turn the HVAC on because the thermostat control was missing. I was not about to jumper the wires as it would not be a proper inspection of the system with a missing thermostat.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    745

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Be carefull not to ground out the system. It will blow the step down transformer.


  6. #6
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    The simplest way around this sort of issue is to carry an inexpensive replacement thermostat in your vehicle, preferably one that can function on either a standard split system or a heat pump setup. <$25.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,246

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    The simplest way around this sort of issue is to carry an inexpensive replacement thermostat in your vehicle, preferably one that can function on either a standard split system or a heat pump setup. <$25.

    "The simplest way" ... is to report what you found - no thermostat - and call for the system to be checked by an a/c contractor.

    Not only is it the "simplest way" but it is also the safest way (electrically speaking and monetarily speaking) as that way *you* did not change or alter anything (and installing a thermostat you carry with you could still result in Gunnar's experience).

    Home inspectors need to get out of the thinking that they need to "fix things" to make them work just so they can then write those same things up for repair.

    Think about the illogic in that.

    It is like keeping a terminally ill person who is on death row alive just so you can kill him when he comes up on the schedule.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  8. #8
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    The simplest way" ... is to report what you found - no thermostat - and call for the system to be checked by an a/c contractor.
    Mr. Peck: Perhaps, but that is not what the OP asked.

    Not only is it the "simplest way" but it is also the safest way (electrically speaking and monetarily speaking) as that way *you* did not change or alter anything (and installing a thermostat you carry with you could still result in Gunnar's experience).
    Mr. Peck: Perhaps, but the OP may not be as ham-handed as Mr. Alquist appears to have been.

    Home inspectors need to get out of the thinking that they need to "fix things" to make them work just so they can then write those same things up for repair.
    Mr. Peck: Perhaps, but that does not amount to fixing things. It is tantamount to having a light bulb to screw into an empty socket to test that outlet. And, if you find the idea of using a light bulb too far fetched, then testing the socket with a multi-meter does nothing more than providing a viable alternative to replacing that bulb.

    Think about the illogic in that.
    Mr. Peck: Well yes, I have.

    It is like keeping a terminally ill person who is on death row alive just so you can kill him when he comes up on the schedule.
    Mr. Peck: Take yet another puff. All better now?


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Thumbs down the ghost of AD Miller

    Looks like A.D. "Elliot Franson" is back and just as charming as ever.

    I think it is very much on point to question starting a unit that is missing its t'stat. You don't know why it is missing. You don't know what you may damage by running the system as is. If they want the AC inspected then the seller should have it placed into working order prior to your inspection. This is akin to turning on water, gas or electric service that has been shut off.

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

  10. #10
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Be careful on the heat pumps, reversing valves vary from manufacturer and can be cool active or heat active. Most cool active units need the O wire, G wire, and the Y wire energized for cooling. Heat active units will just need the Y and G for cooling.


  11. #11
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: the ghost of AD Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Looks like A.D. "Elliot Franson" is back and just as charming as ever.

    I think it is very much on point to question starting a unit that is missing its t'stat. You don't know why it is missing. You don't know what you may damage by running the system as is. If they want the AC inspected then the seller should have it placed into working order prior to your inspection. This is akin to turning on water, gas or electric service that has been shut off.

    OK

    So...If an HVAC man comes into a home, inspects the system and all appears to be in order, everything appears to be hooked up, the only thing that is missing is the thermostat that may very well have been knocked off the wall and broken when moving, the home is vacant and trashed, a client wants to know at the very least if the system is going to kick on and if the AC or heat actually blows hot or cold just so he does not have to put major money out immediately for one component of the home right away......and you are going to do what....Hook a thermostat up or jumper the wires to check further what might be going on or not??????

    The point is that this home is fairly well known to be pretty much a dump that someone does not mind buying but does not want an immediate 5, 6, 7000 on a new system before they touch anything.

    All other points are pretty much mute. No....I am not just sticking up for a fellow Texan because I would never do this for a client in a home inspection.

    Jerry

    My goodness......."keeping a man alive on death row just so you can kill him later"


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    Be careful on the heat pumps, reversing valves vary from manufacturer and can be cool active or heat active. Most cool active units need the O wire, G wire, and the Y wire energized for cooling. Heat active units will just need the Y and G for cooling.
    What would be the danger?

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  13. #13
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: the ghost of AD Miller

    I think it is very much on point to question starting a unit that is missing its t'stat. You don't know why it is missing. You don't know what you may damage by running the system as is. If they want the AC inspected then the seller should have it placed into working order prior to your inspection. This is akin to turning on water, gas or electric service that has been shut off.
    Mr. Harper: Though you surely look authoritative standing there, arms akimbo, your comparison is off base. Turning on utilities involves the operation of main shut-off valves or replacement of the electrical meter. A thermostat is merely a switch operated by a thermometer, just like the those found on water heaters, ovens, et al.

    It is truly no wonder that so many HIs are confused about many issues when one considers the seeming total disregard for reason often encountered on this forum and others. Just my opinion.


  14. #14
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    What would be the danger?
    The danger is in not knowing. If you are not sure how something operates, don't operate it. Blown air handler low voltage fuses, transformers, and circuit boards are in danger.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    The danger is in not knowing. If you are not sure how something operates, don't operate it. Blown air handler low voltage fuses, transformers, and circuit boards are in danger.
    Not from not knowing wither the SOV is energized in the heating or cooling mode.

    The only damage that can be caused by jumping the control wires is, as stated by someone, shorting the 28v to ground. The worst case would be to burn out the transformer which is about $18. Many of the transformers are protected by a replaceable fuse, about 75 cents. (Don't touch the red wire to the cabinet or neutral wire, if present!)

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  16. #16
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Not from not knowing wither the SOV is energized in the heating or cooling mode.

    The only damage that can be caused by jumping the control wires is, as stated by someone, shorting the 28v to ground. The worst case would be to burn out the transformer which is about $18. Many of the transformers are protected by a replaceable fuse, about 75 cents. (Don't touch the red wire to the cabinet or neutral wire, if present!)
    Underlining is mine
    The worst case scenario is a fried control board in either the air handler or heat pump. I don't deny the expense is limited, most boards are $75 to $150 but, do HIs have the parts, the time, or the certification to repair these items?


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Cool Re: why to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    You don't know why it was removed or disabled. you fire it up and kill the compressor because the oil has not had a chance to heat up. As DB stated, you can fry a control board, which would cost you SEVERAL hundred $$ when you include the first trip out for a tech to diagnose the problem, then order the part, go get it ,then come back and put it in, then run a system check. If anything is is going bad such as a capacitor, contactor, etc. they will surely try to dump that cost in your lap as well. Just does not seem justified to me. Now, with some of the newer equipment, you may have more than one compressor. What if they disabled it because the fan was noisy but your running it before it could be cleaned caused it to die before the tech could clean it? What if the filter was missing and you sucked a bunch of crap into the A coil and HX?

    FYI, I've seen t'stats pulled because the homeowner was scared to touch the distrbution panel breakers or physically could not get there so they pulled the stat.

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: why to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    You don't know why it was removed or disabled. you fire it up and kill the compressor because the oil has not had a chance to heat up. As DB stated, you can fry a control board, which would cost you SEVERAL hundred $$ when you include the first trip out for a tech to diagnose the problem, then order the part, go get it ,then come back and put it in, then run a system check. If anything is is going bad such as a capacitor, contactor, etc. they will surely try to dump that cost in your lap as well. Just does not seem justified to me. Now, with some of the newer equipment, you may have more than one compressor. What if they disabled it because the fan was noisy but your running it before it could be cleaned caused it to die before the tech could clean it? What if the filter was missing and you sucked a bunch of crap into the A coil and HX?

    FYI, I've seen t'stats pulled because the homeowner was scared to touch the distrbution panel breakers or physically could not get there so they pulled the stat.
    You would be hard pressed to show a way that anything other than the transformer could be damaged by jumpering the low voltage wiring. You can't "fry" the control board even if you tied all of the wires together. If the oil is not warm by now, it never will be!

    The house in question is a repo. The thermostat went the same way as the ceiling fans, mirrors, refrigerator, stove, etc. They took them! Nobody was trying to protect the equipment.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,478

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    Mr. Peck: Perhaps, but the OP may not be as ham-handed as Mr. Alquist appears to have been.

    Mr. Peck: Take yet another puff. All better now?
    Geeze A.D., it's no wonder you were kicked-off the board already.

    (Elliot Franson, AKA A.D. Miller - Ignored.)

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    If this was for a friend, then I would call my other friend thats a HVAC guy and have him stop by.
    If it was for a paying client, I'm not going to touch it and tell them to get a HVAC guy to check it out.

    Jump wires? Carry a cheap thermostat? Not me! While I'm pretty comfortable with plumbing stuff, and can do a bunch of electrical things, I am lacking in HVAC repair skills.
    I don't mind putting in light bulbs to check light fixtures. Mostly I only put them in the fixtures where I need light.
    I carry a little cap to shut off ice maker lines that some yahoo has left open.
    I have even added nuts and bolts to pull down ladders so I feel safer going up and down.

    But I draw the line at doing a McGyver on a HVAC system. Maybe just me.


  21. #21
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: why to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    You would be hard pressed to show a way that anything other than the transformer could be damaged by jumpering the low voltage wiring. You can't "fry" the control board even if you tied all of the wires together. If the oil is not warm by now, it never will be!

    The house in question is a repo. The thermostat went the same way as the ceiling fans, mirrors, refrigerator, stove, etc. They took them! Nobody was trying to protect the equipment.
    Like talking to my ex, no good is going to come out of it. Hanging up now.


  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    If the stat is missing and you start jumpering wires you have stepped outside your scope of work as a HI.

    Call in a HVAC guy or call it out as stat missing.

    Since this is for a friend it might be a little different as he would hopefully be a bit more understanding if the transformer got fried.

    Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    3,177

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Geeze A.D., it's no wonder you were kicked-off the board already.

    (Elliot Franson, AKA A.D. Miller - Ignored.)
    Twice, already, actually. He's in at least his third incarnation.

    Really, who knows how many of these guys and gals are actually A.D.? There could be hundreds!

    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

  24. #24
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Geeze A.D., it's no wonder you were kicked-off the board already.

    (Elliot Franson, AKA A.D. Miller - Ignored.)
    Mr. Alquist: "'Tis of no importance what bats and oxen think." - Emerson


  25. #25
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Twice, already, actually. He's in at least his third incarnation.

    Really, who knows how many of these guys and gals are actually A.D.? There could be hundreds!
    Mr. Arnold: We are legion.


  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Succasunna NJ
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    Mr. Arnold: We are legion.
    shouldn't it be "we are a disease?"

    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

  27. #27
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Legionnaires
    In honor of those who have no defense!


  28. #28
    Ed Wood's Avatar
    Ed Wood Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    shouldn't it be "we are a disease?"
    Mr. Miller: I can't speak for you.


  29. #29
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
    Mr. Miller: I can't speak for you.
    Believe me we all took the joke for too long.

    Last edited by David Bell; 08-20-2010 at 11:21 AM.

  30. #30
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    Believe me we all took the joke for too long.
    David: What joke would that be?


  31. #31
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    David: What joke would that be?
    I would reply in latin but, I tend to be more direct. The joke would be someone that feels the need to invent different personalities to remain on a board that obviously has little or no use for them. Your intelligence is constantly overshadowed by your lack of respect for others, an unwillingness to admit any mistakes and, to be honest, I think your time would be better spent surfing porn sites. I wish you well in your future personalities and I pray for your family.


  32. #32
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    I would reply in latin but, I tend to be more direct. The joke would be someone that feels the need to invent different personalities to remain on a board that obviously has little or no use for them. Your intelligence is constantly overshadowed by your lack of respect for others, an unwillingness to admit any mistakes and, to be honest, I think your time would be better spent surfing porn sites. I wish you well in your future personalities and I pray for your family.
    Mr. Bell: Your abusive post has been report to Mr. Hannigan.


  33. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,246

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    Mr. Bell: Your abusive post has been report to Mr. Hannigan.
    Did you report it as the report being from the banned user A. D.?

    Be careful what you wish for, you may just get involved and end up on the short stick.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  34. #34
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    Mr. Bell: Your abusive post has been report to Mr. Hannigan.
    I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for this thread going awry. It seems I could not resist the bait. While Elliot,Ed,Aaron or whatever his latest incarnation is, found my words abusive, rest assured they were sincere. Brian will have the last word on this, as he should.

    Last edited by David Bell; 08-21-2010 at 08:29 PM.

  35. #35
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Did you report it as the report being from the banned user A. D.?

    Be careful what you wish for, you may just get involved and end up on the short stick.
    Mr. Peck: Let Jerry worry about Jerry. Elliot can fend for himself, I assure you.


  36. #36
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for this thread going awry. It seems I could not resist the bait. While Elliot,Ed,Aaron or whatever his latest incarnation is, found my words abusive, rest assured they were sincere. Brian will have the last word on this, as he should.
    Mr. Bell: Your incessant groundless accusations notwithstanding, your apology is accepted, even if it was not directed toward me.


  37. #37
    William Brady's Avatar
    William Brady Guest

    Angry Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    this is destroying the whole purpose of Inspection News. I come hear for tips and knowledge not this. Can someone tell me how to ingore this guys Elliot


  38. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by William Brady View Post
    this is destroying the whole purpose of Inspection News. I come hear for tips and knowledge not this. Can someone tell me how to ignore this guys Elliot
    Go to the "User CP" at the top left hand of the page under the inspection news banner then to the buddy/ignore list and you can add anyone you wish to the lists. Of course if that person is quoted, you will still see their quote but it is better than nothing.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Unless you are a licensed HVAC contractor do not attempt to rewire. This goes beyond the scope of an inspection and you assume liability.


  40. #40
    Mitchell Toelle's Avatar
    Mitchell Toelle Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Horn View Post
    Unless you are a licensed HVAC contractor do not attempt to rewire. This goes beyond the scope of an inspection and you assume liability.
    Thank you!!!! End of discussion. Oh yea....he's a friend....go for it...but be ready to pay to keep your friendship should anything go wrong.


  41. #41
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    I inspected a foreclosure today and the A/C did not work when operated with the thermostat. The heat worked fine. Upon inspecting the condensate pump I saw the wire to the float switch had been disconnected. At her request after a brief lesson in HVAC controls I hooked it back up and the condensing unit started humming but did not come on. Since this was an as-is sell the lady buying the house was glad to know that the A/C does not work. I see that as no difference as jumping out a thermostat and it will help her make up her mind as to what she is going to do.


  42. #42
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I inspected a foreclosure today and the A/C did not work when operated with the thermostat. The heat worked fine. Upon inspecting the condensate pump I saw the wire to the float switch had been disconnected. At her request after a brief lesson in HVAC controls I hooked it back up and the condensing unit started humming but did not come on. Since this was an as-is sell the lady buying the house was glad to know that the A/C does not work. I see that as no difference as jumping out a thermostat and it will help her make up her mind as to what she is going to do.
    You don't know whether the A/C works or not, what you know is that after hooking up a safety switch wire the contactor pulled in and was humming. The disconnect could be off, the circiut breaker could be off.

    Last edited by David Bell; 08-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.

  43. #43
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Had power and the compressor relay pulled in....so in my opinion it did not work. The wire was probably disconnected because it was not working but you never can tell without checking.


  44. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    This thread has simply amazed me at the number of folks who would attempt to try and start up an HVAC system with the thermostat missing! Yet, I bet nobody who would wire up a spare thermostat or jumper the wires together would ever think about turning on a water valve to a sink, toilet, or whatever if it was turned off. Ya know, the more I thought about it I bet they would turn every off valve they found in a home.

    Simply stated; If the thermostat is missing the system does not work! That is what you need to report....

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  45. #45
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    It would have done this lady no good for me to tell her the A/C did not work. She already knew that since it was sitting there not doing anything. Now she knows that even with power applied it still does not work without spending $120 for a service call to tell her the A/C does not work. This is an as-is sell so no repairs are being done by the seller. Plus the NC SOP allows me to do that if qualified.


  46. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    This thread has simply amazed me at the number of folks who would attempt to try and start up an HVAC system with the thermostat missing! Yet, I bet nobody who would wire up a spare thermostat or jumper the wires together would ever think about turning on a water valve to a sink, toilet, or whatever if it was turned off. Ya know, the more I thought about it I bet they would turn every off valve they found in a home.

    Simply stated; If the thermostat is missing the system does not work! That is what you need to report....

    Scott, I was thinking the same thing.

    I was wondering if it had been the condensing unit missing, how many would have hauled in one to hook up just to see if the indoor evaporator coil was working on not?

    rick


  47. #47
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Scott, I was thinking the same thing.

    I was wondering if it had been the condensing unit missing, how many would have hauled in one to hook up just to see if the indoor evaporator coil was working on not?

    rick
    Not being an HI, I think in contractor terms.


  48. #48
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    I, for one, don't carry that many spare parts...Only use what the good lord gave me.


  49. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Near Philly, Pa.
    Posts
    1,643

    Question where does it end?

    Or, following Rick's lead, what if the outdoor disconnect was missing and you have a spare on your truck that matched that box. Would you insert the disconnect and power up the condenser? What if it is a fused disconnect with the fuses missing? Would you provide fuses and attempt to run it?

    The seller knew the stat was partially disasembled and missing. They knew why this was so when they listed the house. There should be something in the disclosure form even if it is being sold 'as is'. They knew no one would be able to fire up that AC without it, which is apparently what they wanted, even if it meant a lower price for the house. Their choice. As Scott said, document the missing stat, which precluded you from running the AC. You can document the presence of an A coil and outdoor condenser but note you were unable to run them-done.

    FYI, it is illegal for a H.I. to do this in Delaware. You cannot 'repair' any part of an HVAC system unless you hold an HVAC license and New Castle Co, De WILL fine you. Know your local laws.

    Keep the fire in the fireplace.

  50. #50
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    I know my laws....I do hold a NC Mechanical license. I have stated that before and did not see a need to repeat myself until now.


  51. #51
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Scott, I was thinking the same thing.

    I was wondering if it had been the condensing unit missing, how many would have hauled in one to hook up just to see if the indoor evaporator coil was working on not?

    rick
    Mr.Hurst: Can we borrow yours?


  52. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I know my laws....I do hold a NC Mechanical license. I have stated that before and did not see a need to repeat myself until now.
    James, that is great that you have that license but I would estimate that around 99% of the home inspectors in the country do not have a license to work on HVAC systems. You are an anomaly in our profession.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  53. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    Mr.Hurst: Can we borrow yours?

    I have a slightly used failed evaporator coil if you wish to borrow it. I mean "rent" it out. Need to recover some of my expense.

    rick


  54. #54
    Elliot Franson's Avatar
    Elliot Franson Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I have a slightly used failed evaporator coil if you wish to borrow it. I mean "rent" it out. Need to recover some of my expense.

    rick
    Mr. Hurst: Do you suppose that Mr. Patterson would spring for the rent?


  55. #55
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    James, that is great that you have that license but I would estimate that around 99% of the home inspectors in the country do not have a license to work on HVAC systems. You are an anomaly in our profession.
    I hope me having trade licenses does not mean I can not contribute to the discussion. I was just stating what I do as another point of view. No one else has to do it or agree. That is not the point of a forum...to have a consensus on everything would be boring.


  56. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: where does it end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    FYI, it is illegal for a H.I. to do this in Delaware. You cannot 'repair' any part of an HVAC system unless you hold an HVAC license and New Castle Co, De WILL fine you. Know your local laws.
    From NC General Statutes Chapter 87, Article 2.

    (c) To Whom Article Applies. – The provisions of this Article shall apply to all persons, firms, or corporations who engage in, or attempt to engage in, the business of plumbing, heating, or fire sprinkler contracting, or any combination thereof as defined in this Article. The provisions of this Article shall not apply to those who make minor repairs or minor replacements to an already installed system of plumbing or heating, but shall apply to those who make repairs, replacements, or modifications to an already installed fire sprinkler system.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  57. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I hope me having trade licenses does not mean I can not contribute to the discussion. I was just stating what I do as another point of view. No one else has to do it or agree. That is not the point of a forum...to have a consensus on everything would be boring.
    Not at all.... I was just pointing out that the vast majority of home inspectors do not have a license as you do. You might want to add to your profile that you do have a mechanical license, then folks could easily see that is your speciality.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  58. #58
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    They stab it with their steely knives, But they just can't kill the beast.

    Dude...AD...

    Best

    Ron


  59. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Last thing I remember, I was
    Running for the door
    I had to find the passage back
    To the place I was before
    ’relax,’ said the night man,
    We are programmed to receive.
    You can checkout any time you like,
    But A.D. can never leave!


    So see, he's still welcome.


  60. #60
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    On a dark inspection website, He got thrown off for a post, He said that he did nothing wrong, but he did piss off the host, He went back to his man cave, and invented a new name, The people all new who he was, cause he acted just the same. Chorus here


  61. #61
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Scott, the new pic is much better.


  62. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    Scott, the new pic is much better.
    Yep, that is what my lovely wife said when she took it..

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  63. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    I can't see him due to the reflection of the lights.

    rick


  64. #64
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I can't see him due to the reflection of the lights.

    rick
    All of us need to reflect now and then

    Best

    Ron

    Bunch of sick twisted freeks...


  65. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,246

    Default Re: How to start an AC unit when thermostat is missing

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    Scott, the new pic is much better.
    Looks to me like those players in the background have gone deep and are about to cream Scott from the backside if he does not turn around and catch that dang football then run it in!



    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •