Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    No. San Diego Co., CA
    Posts
    562

    Default Just plain stupid

    Gentlemen - for your perusal...

    This is a two story SF home built in 2000. The ductwork, including dryer venting is all original construction. The laundry room is on the second floor and the flex. tube from the dryer is connected to rigid at the wall behind the machine. It then makes a sharp 90 deg. rising vertically inside the wall and into the attic space before venting to the outside through the roof decking via roof vent. Total vertical run is approx. 16' (8' of which was inside the attic). The duct was so clogged with lint it was overflowing out the top and falling like snow onto attic floor decking, supporting the gas furnace. Flames from the burner were no more than 3'.0 away. The current homeowner has four kids, all under 8 yrs and does at least two loads of laundry per day.

    Obviously called out as hazardous. Interesting, none-the-less. What amazes me is that the ductwork was installed without consideration as to the obvious consequences. I recommended a thorough clean-out (short-term) and a horizontal run through the attic to vent at the eaves. Current homeowner was suitably advised.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Ian Page; 02-01-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Sam Sloane's Avatar
    Sam Sloane Guest

    Default Re: Just plain stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Page View Post
    Gentlemen - for your perusal...

    This is a two story SF home built in 2000. The ductwork, including dryer venting is all original construction. The laundry room is on the second floor and the flex. tube from the dryer is connected to rigid at the wall behind the machine. It then makes a sharp 90 deg. rising vertically inside the wall and into the attic space before venting to the outside through the roof decking via roof vent. Total vertical run is approx. 16' (8' of which was inside the attic). The duct was so clogged with lint it was overflowing out the top and falling like snow onto attic floor decking, supporting the gas furnace. Flames from the burner were no more than 3'.0 away. The current homeowner has four kids, all under 8 yrs and does at least two loads of laundry per day.

    Obviously called out as hazardous. Interesting, none-the-less. What amazes me is that the ductwork was installed without consideration as to the obvious consequences. I recommended a thorough clean-out (short-term) and a horizontal run through the attic to vent at the eaves. Current homeowner was suitably advised.
    I remember an old farmhouse a few year back. Laundry room was between the kitchen and rear attached shed. The shed was in very poor shape with loose floor boards and rodent droppings. Dryer vented into this shed. Shed floor was completely covered with lint. Owner said she never went in the shed. Too dangerous!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Just plain stupid

    You're absoluted right!
    I see these all the time and always call them out as a "life safety" issue. I think the first one I encountered was in a two story townhome about 15 years ago. The laundry room was on the main floor and vent through the roof deck vertically. A run of 25 feet or so with some flexible, vinyl hose blended in in the attic too. The home owner and listing agent went nuts when I challenged the installation. Seems the builder and architect of the residential complex was very well known and revered. Who cares! It's dangerous and I said so. I don't make friends but I get to keep my fees and assets. That's what is all about anyhow.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,797

    Default Re: Just plain stupid

    A real estate agent who refers me occasional business recently lit off the dryer at a pre-closing walk-through due to an obstructed exhaust duct

    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,258

    Default Re: Just plain stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    A real estate agent who refers me occasional business recently lit off the dryer at a pre-closing walk-through due to an obstructed exhaust duct
    What do you mean? Did she set it on fire?

    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •