Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Stephen G Sheldon's Avatar
    Stephen G Sheldon Guest

    Default Any ideas what this could be?

    Saw this in the back yard of a home built in 1970. It looks like some sort of air intake but its located at the far left corner of the home behind the garage which is on a slab. Its also right next to a downspout that is draining at grade level. Any ideas? Maybe the downspout was previously hooked up to it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Stephen G Sheldon; 06-21-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: no photo
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Any ideas what this could be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G Sheldon View Post
    Saw this in the back yard of a home built in 1970. It looks like some sort of air intake but its located at the far left corner of the home behind the garage which is on a slab. Its also right next to a downspout that is draining at grade level. Any ideas? Maybe the downspout was previously hooked up to it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Was there any other sign of a radon mitigation system?

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Any ideas what this could be?

    My approach is to write such things as unknown and let the buyer ask the seller. You might be right about a downspout previously being connected to it - but what if you're not? I try to avoid assumptions and I advise my clients to do the same.

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  4. #4
    Stephen G Sheldon's Avatar
    Stephen G Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Any ideas what this could be?

    There is a radon mitigation system but it clearly vents through the roof


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Any ideas what this could be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G Sheldon View Post
    There is a radon mitigation system but it clearly vents through the roof
    Sub-slab de-pressurization that I have seen, have a vent to draw air in under the slab. That would be my guess as to what you have pictured. That is how I would reference it as well.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tyler, TX
    Posts
    719

    Default Re: Any ideas what this could be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    My approach is to write such things as unknown and let the buyer ask the seller. You might be right about a downspout previously being connected to it - but what if you're not? I try to avoid assumptions and I advise my clients to do the same.
    I agree. Unless I know beyond the shadow of a doubt, it's too easy to just ask the seller. Now verbally, I might give them my thoughts and opinions, but ultimately, just ask the seller.

    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •