Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    41

    Default Dryer duct venting

    Is it o.k. to terminate your dryer duct through a foundation vent? Only other option in this particular case would be through the foundation wall. I see it done this way quite often, but wanted to see from others what they thought. I can't find anywhere where it says you can't. May not be the "correct" way, but is it something worthy of writing up? Thanks in advance.
    Steve

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Re: Dryer duct venting

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    Is it o.k. to terminate your dryer duct through a foundation vent? Only other option in this particular case would be through the foundation wall. I see it done this way quite often, but wanted to see from others what they thought. I can't find anywhere where it says you can't. May not be the "correct" way, but is it something worthy of writing up? Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    Steve,

    The duct should extend to the exterior and should not be screened. Generally, the foundation vent screen will collect lint. If it exits completely at the exterior without obstruction, it should be ok.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Dryer duct venting

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Steve,

    The duct should extend to the exterior and should not be screened. Generally, the foundation vent screen will collect lint. If it exits completely at the exterior without obstruction, it should be ok.
    What I meant is to exit the duct through the foundation vent and put the appropriate louvered cap on the end. Just use the foundation vent as a means to port it out of the crawlspace without drilling through a foundation wall.
    Steve


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Dryer duct venting

    The dryer duct reduces the net free area of the foundation vent. If the net free area falls below the 1:150 rule for the ventilatied space, then it is a ventilation issue for the space.

    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Dryer duct venting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    The dryer duct reduces the net free area of the foundation vent. If the net free area falls below the 1:150 rule for the ventilatied space, then it is a ventilation issue for the space.
    what are your thoughts on insulating a rigid metal dryer duct that is exposed in the crawlspace. Don't ever see it on an exposed dryer duct, but that doesn't mean condensation won't collect inside the pipe and lint sticking to it and clogging over time. Thoughts? Do you ever call it out? thanks in advance
    Steve


  6. #6

    Default Re: Dryer duct venting

    I don't make an issue out of it when a duct runs through a foundation vent, unless there is minimal ventilation present. Just make sure there are no gaps in the screening.

    I've never seen anyone insulate a dryer duct, but it couldn't hurt.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Dryer duct venting

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    I've never seen anyone insulate a dryer duct, but it couldn't hurt.
    The dryer duct may overheat if insulated. Wouldn't want it too close to combustible material in that case, and then the lint inside would be closer to catching on fire by itself. Just some reasons off the top of my head not to insulate a dryer vent.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Dryer duct venting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The dryer duct may overheat if insulated. Wouldn't want it too close to combustible material in that case, and then the lint inside would be closer to catching on fire by itself. Just some reasons off the top of my head not to insulate a dryer vent.
    Who needs insulation when you've got lint?

    Better not to wrap them. Keep the pipes visible for their 10 year inspection.
    Seriously, they will rust out if they are wrapped and leaking. Note the rusty elbow.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •