Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    3,177

    Default Who needs combustion air?

    As I keep telling clients, I see something new at every inspection.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral SOC
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    That's a great filter did you tell them to change it often. It's funny when installing these systems they can get away with such issues. Look at this furnace I just saw.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kansas City Missouri
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sew View Post
    That's a great filter did you tell them to change it often. It's funny when installing these systems they can get away with such issues. Look at this furnace I just saw.
    At least they used the metal dryer vent rather than the vinyl type. Also changing the filter will be easy.

    Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    Also, is it ok the vent to masonry chimney? A wood burning or gas burning fireplace?


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Also, is it ok the vent to masonry chimney? A wood burning or gas burning fireplace?
    Fine to vent through the chimney, but the issue is improper material used to vent from the furnace. It was a very shady job on the furnace with the supply plenum cut off and funky vents all over the basement for heat. The chimney was also a good clue for an oil tank.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sew View Post
    Fine to vent through the chimney, but the issue is improper material used to vent from the furnace. It was a very shady job on the furnace with the supply plenum cut off and funky vents all over the basement for heat. The chimney was also a good clue for an oil tank.
    Was the vent just some Class 0 flexible duct or was it a Metal-Fab B-vent?
    http://www.mtlfab.com/media/L1940.pdf

    Corey


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Was the vent just some Class 0 flexible duct or was it a Metal-Fab B-vent?
    http://www.mtlfab.com/media/L1940.pdf

    Corey
    Corey, thanks for the insight of that bvent material, I'll have to go back and have a closer look. It does look like that flex b-vent.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bradley Illinois
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    It is not okay to vent an 80% furnace to a masonry chimney unless it has a metal liner according to most manufacturers because of the cooling and condensation issues


  9. #9
    Richard Johnson's Avatar
    Richard Johnson Guest

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Duchene View Post
    It is not okay to vent an 80% furnace to a masonry chimney unless it has a metal liner according to most manufacturers because of the cooling and condensation issues
    The primary reason for this is that when the chimneys were designed, the gas appliances connected had standing pilots which constantly provided minimal heat source to the chimney keeping it warm allowing good draft. When you remove a standing pilot device and install an intermittent pilot device, the chimney cools during the off cycle. When the device then starts its cycle, the combustion gasses cool in the chimney preventing proper draft.


  10. #10
    Binford Tools's Avatar
    Binford Tools Guest

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    As I keep telling clients, I see something new at every inspection.
    Dang that's down right scary. Not enough air would mean incomplete burn which could crate very high CO.

    Here they require a 90 ell on the intake to prevent something from accidentally falling and restricting the intake. But in this case the HO might have still stuff a rag in it


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,549

    Default Re: Who needs combustion air?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    As I keep telling clients, I see something new at every inspection.
    Are you sure that's a rag? It looks like religious head gear to me.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •