Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee Wa
    Posts
    301

    Default HVAC systems during construct

    Hey all, I was wondering if you have any code provisions in your area for protecting the HVAC system during construction.

    I see HVAC's just messed up from construction debris. I see Arkansas actually has a provision (601.5).

    This set me to wondering if other areas have one.

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: HVAC systems during construct

    Never seen a code for it but I add that they need cleaning by a pro with a big truck
    I just don't get why someone would build a 5 million dollar house, any house for that matter, and leave all kinds of debris in teh air system.
    Just bad building practices.
    I like to see hepa filters installed over the top of each register during const.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Osceola, AR
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: HVAC systems during construct

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    Hey all, I was wondering if you have any code provisions in your area for protecting the HVAC system during construction.

    I see HVAC's just messed up from construction debris. I see Arkansas actually has a provision (601.5).

    This set me to wondering if other areas have one.
    Arkansas does have a code section to deal with this issue. Without enforcement the code does little to help.

    I have asked several muni inspectors about enforcement, some did not know about this section, some admitted that they seldom checked for the use of the structures HVAC system during construction and one told me that his town was just glad to have people building there and did not want to upset anyone.

    When this section was added several rental yards near me bought units to rent out. Most kept the units for a couple of years then sold them off without ever renting the equipment to anyone.

    Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee Wa
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: HVAC systems during construct

    Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    Arkansas does have a code section to deal with this issue. Without enforcement the code does little to help.

    I have asked several muni inspectors about enforcement, some did not know about this section, some admitted that they seldom checked for the use of the structures HVAC system during construction and one told me that his town was just glad to have people building there and did not want to upset anyone.

    When this section was added several rental yards near me bought units to rent out. Most kept the units for a couple of years then sold them off without ever renting the equipment to anyone.
    Alton, Is this not the reason we are in business ; ) I can not tell you how many times I have been told similar stuff.

    Its the kick the can down the road mentality that is tough to deal with at times.

    Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Osceola, AR
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: HVAC systems during construct

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    Hey all, I was wondering if you have any code provisions in your area for protecting the HVAC system during construction.

    I see HVAC's just messed up from construction debris. I see Arkansas actually has a provision (601.5).

    This set me to wondering if other areas have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    Alton, Is this not the reason we are in business ; ) I can not tell you how many times I have been told similar stuff.

    Its the kick the can down the road mentality that is tough to deal with at times.
    Hard to blame the muni inspectors the majority of the time, budget cuts, understaffing, lack of support from the municipality and the state, and so on. Politics plays a huge role here, a couple of connections, maybe a campaign contribution, a brother in law who knows someone will still carry some builders or developers quite some distance in the Arkansas Delta. It's the "good ole boy" network like you could not imagine...

    Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee Wa
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: HVAC systems during construct

    Alton, I agree with what you state.

    I am not really blaming them. I really blame many of the contractors that are willing to cut corners whenever possible.

    We all have a bit of blame to share we all want a certain products at a certain price that may not be realistic with the true cost to provide that product at.

    Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: HVAC systems during construct

    Years ago, as an adjunct to my plumbing business, I would install central vacuum systems during the rough-in. (pipes is pipes, right?) I learned the hard way to NEVER hang the actual motor unit until well after finish. The clowns would use it to clean up after construction and after several trips to clear blockages I just stubbed out the inlet ends with glued caps.

    Had one vacation rental idiot vacuum out a fireplace with live coals still in it.
    Firebox nice and clean for the next guy but the bag and motor got trashed. They paid for that little adventure.

    True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •